Single malt whisky

26 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

Likewise... extremely disappointed!!!!

John, I'm pretty sure that the bottle you scored is the standard release (the same bottle/release that I have here at home). These aren't marked as the 'first batch' as such, and can still be purchased for $119 from many retail outlets (despite Archie Rose having sold out).

The first rye malt batch was individually marked and numbered and sold out within an hour of release back on 1 August 2019:

https://www.harvestliquor.com.au/ardchie-rose-rye-malt-batch-1

But oh yes... the rye malt is a lovely drop indeed. Very very enjoyable.

As per usual you are correct pete_mac...nothing gets past you Sir! :) 

Just checked my Archie Rose Rye Malt Bottle and Packaging...nadda sir nadda about first release details...much chagrin much!...just a tasty rye malt whisky...

I can live with that or for as long as it lasts! :) 

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Like 1
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working late with a Laphroaig Four Oak to keep me company

Wow I didn't know we have this category til today.   My collection  

This probably isn't the place for this, but given that it incudes a storage facility for singe malt whisky... why not!   One of my COVID projects was the conversion of a 'nook' into a bar (o

28 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

As per usual you are correct pete_mac...nothing gets past you Sir! :) 

Just checked my Archie Rose Rye Malt Bottle and Packaging...nadda sir nadda about first release details...much chagrin much!...just a tasty rye malt whisky...

I might look for one of those from Dan's (when my budget becomes a little fuller)...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

I might look for one of those from Dan's (when my budget becomes a little fuller)...

If you don't mind online ordering, I have a new customer referral code for boozebud which will get you a bottle of the Rye Malt for $102 delivered. 

The code is:  BUD53UK

The code can be applied to any purchases over $50 to give 15% off and free shipping off your first order for new customers.

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

If you don't mind online ordering, I have a referral code for boozebud which will get you a bottle of the Rye Malt for $102 delivered (equates to 15% off and free shipping). Happy to share the code with any SNAers, and the code can be applied to any purchases over $50.

Gimme a week or so to explain the last whisky and two beer purchases...😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

Gimme a week or so to explain the last whisky and two beer purchases...😉

I know that feeling! Haha!!

EDIT: I've updated the earlier post to include the code. Forgot to mention it applies to the first purchase for new customers only. A handy saving nonetheless, particularly with the free shipping.

Edited by pete_mac
  • Haha 1
59 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

just a tasty rye malt whisky...

Oh yes, for sure. I've been very disciplined so far, and have kept mine as a bit of a 'special sipper'.

Those who I've shared it with have been suitably impressed!

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

Oh yes, for sure. I've been very disciplined so far, and have kept mine as a bit of a 'special sipper'.

Those who I've shared it with have been suitably impressed!

I've foregone the discipline...much too hard...to make this...as you so aptly posted...'special sipper' last... @pete_mac...

I've employed another sneaky tactic...I buy other different SMW's to sip in the meantime!

I think it's working...I have half a bottle of that Archie Rose Rye Whisky still left... :) jeez I'm a cunning sod in my old age! :) 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

I've foregone the discipline...much too hard...to make this...as you so aptly posted...'special sipper' last... @pete_mac...

I've employed another sneaky tactic...I buy other different SMW's to sip in the meantime!

I think it's working...I have half a bottle of that Archie Rose Rye Whisky still left... :) jeez I'm a cunning sod in my old age! :) 

Haha!

Yes, some careful rationing along with the consumption of other SMW's is a sure-fire pathway to happiness. 

I had an impromptu visit from my eldest-son's-mate's-Dad on Friday night which morphed into a slightly sore head on Saturday morning.  A bit of Glenkinchie 12, Starward Fortis and Ardbeg 10 was sampled... along with a small bottle of port to wrap up proceedings.

The Archie was kept at bay. It was probably fortunate that I'd hidden it towards the back of the shelf, otherwise we might have made a decent dent in it!

It was really interesting to taste the influence on flavour that having a rich and fruity whisky like the Fortis has when jumping straight over to the Ardbeg 10. I usually get light notes  such as apples and some light citrus underneath the smoke and peat of the Ardbeg 10 when snaffled in isolation... but the Fortis completely overwhelmed it and resulted in a very different experience.

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Attention: Melbourne Hens Teeth Collectors.

I just got this back from Jimmy of Jimmy Rum:

Jon…Your finger is on the pulse.  We distilled a barrel of Blake’s Russian Imperial Stout..Called - JR2
Its sitting in a small barrel and awaiting Blake to say he loves it and to bottle it.  Will maybe release with the next batch of Imperial stout…watch there socials, as it will be their release and maybe a bit of fun promo for us

If I can locate any of this, I will!!! N.B. Blake Bowden is head brewer at Jetty Road.

On 25/09/2020 at 4:14 PM, misternavi said:

FRI-YAY!!!! Who else has poured a BIG glass of whiskey?
I started on Monday.

1335_0126.jpg

Wow!   have you ever thought of taking up photography, you seem to have a real knack? 🙂    (stale joke)

whattcha smokin'?

Edited by tripitaka

53 minutes ago, tripitaka said:

Wow!   have you ever thought of taking up photography, you seem to have a real knack? 🙂    (stale joke)

whattcha smokin'?

this was actually shot for a client. 

who sells decanters.

the whiskey in the decanter is starward -my go to whiskey because it’s cheap and good and made in Melbourne. 

not sure what the cigar is as i gave up smoking anything with drinking last year. I feel sick next morning everytime i drink and smoke.

how do you like them ice cubes? they are fake. hand carved acrylic ice cubes. Never Melt for long photo shoots.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

pardon my ignorance, but what is this Archie Rose whisky and why is it so hard to get?

It's not really, except that this was the first batch. The other releases might not be so over-subscribed. They've had their rye whisky around for a while and we were waiting for the single malt. I was probably going to just keep it and taste the others when they came out. But missed out on the lottery and got stymied by the internet when trying to get the remainder (of the 3000 bottles).

I think because the rest of their stuff has been pretty good, people were expecting a lot from the single malt release...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

pardon my ignorance, but what is this Archie Rose whisky and why is it so hard to get?

I just wanted to be one of the lucky ones to win the ballot for the first first release Archie Rose Whisky...look at me...look at me..ha..ha..haaaaa🤣🤪

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Haha 1

Tried some of this last night.  Bought it on a whim.  Surprisingly good.  Reviews are wide and varied from hate to love.

I found it sweet and dark and smoky, with plenty of hints from the rum barrels.    Very enjoyable.

Glenfiddich Experiment 04 Fire & Cane Rum Cask Finish Single Malt Scotch Whisky (700ml)

Edited by aussievintage
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

Tried some of this last night.  Bought it on a whim.  Surprisingly good.  Reviews are wide and varied from hate to love.

I found it sweet and dark and smoky, with plenty of hints from the rum barrels.    Very enjoyable.

Glenfiddich Experiment 04 Fire & Cane Rum Cask Finish Single Malt Scotch Whisky (700ml)

Interesting. Mrs CE bought me a rum from JimmyRum for my birthday, which was aged in a barrel from a local whisky concern. Tasted good when we had some at the distillery (and it's Navy strength, but surprisingly un-hot) but the bottle has not been broached at this stage.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

In summer I actually prefer to add my water as a small ice cube, because whisky can get too hot as well.      As they mention in the article,  when touring  distilleries in Scotland, I have been supplied water to add,  often with a calibrated dropper to use when adding it precisely.  This same dropper setup was supplied at a restaurant in Edinburgh too.

3 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Our local whisky distiller told me that he found that the flavour profile changed dramatically for each 5% you changed the abv. And considering that's how they reduce the strength from barrel down to release point, you know there's already water added.

So, it's unsurprising that many whiskies are released at a tax strength, rather than a flavour strength and that water added might improve the flavour.

And, it doesn't have to be water from glacier ice (or other fancy stuff). Depending on your tap, it can be from there as well. And I use an eye-dropper. A few drops in a full nip of Glengoyne cask strength can really boost your appreciation.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

I wasn’t aware.. might be relevant to some of the collections I’ve seen while lurking here.. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/dining/drinks/whiskey-infinity-bottle.amp.html

I've kept and de-labelled a Starward Nova bottle for that exact purpose. The bottle itself has a pretty cool galaxy-style print which suits the theme of an infinity bottle quite well.

It also has a rubberised/poly stopper rather than cork, so should be well suited to long-term usage. 

I just need to swallow some brave pills and start adding whisky to it!

1872373280_starwardbottle.jpg.e084b850b462e30002f83b4156dc7c2b.jpg

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

I've kept and de-labelled a Starward Nova bottle for that exact purpose. The bottle itself has a pretty cool galaxy-style print which suits the theme of an infinity bottle quite well.

It also has a rubberised/poly stopper rather than cork, so should be well suited to long-term usage. 

I just need to swallow some brave pills and start adding whisky to it!

1872373280_starwardbottle.jpg.e084b850b462e30002f83b4156dc7c2b.jpg

Love it. The Nova bottle will look the part!

Myself, just looking to get into the SMW’s and am considering the Fire & Cane after seeing it above. Look forwarding to trying this idea eventually, although the risk is very real (is reading tips online cheating..? ;) ).

2 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

I wasn’t aware.. might be relevant to some of the collections I’ve seen while lurking here.. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/dining/drinks/whiskey-infinity-bottle.amp.html

Our whisky club used to do that.  Some very excellent whiskys made their way into that bottle.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Our whisky club used to do that.  Some very excellent whiskys made their way into that bottle.

I think what has stopped me is "do I want that last dram, or will I contribute to the solera?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

I think what has stopped me is "do I want that last dram, or will I contribute to the solera?"

The last dram safely drunk... 😊

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

I think I need to make a little sign for myself - "Feed the infinity bottle".

I've had a few last drams and the infinity bottle has been the last thing on my mind!

• Like 2
23 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Might give that a shot (so to speak..)

• Like 1
On 17/06/2020 at 11:25 AM, Cloth Ears said:

There's a Single Malt Thread??? I think it needs rejuvenating...so I just had a look at my 'open' cabinet.

IMG_20200617_111055.jpg

On 17/06/2020 at 11:38 AM, sir sanders zingmore said:

Nice collection :)

I've been wanting to try the Amrut for ages. Any good?

Amrut looks interesting

While India may not be the first country to mind when great world whisky is mentioned, the Fusion Single Malt is about to change all that. Considered by Jim Murray to be the 3rd best whisky in the world as part of his 2010 Whisky Bible, the Fusion is a phenomenal amalgam of flavours, aromas and texture the envy of most, even in Scotland. On the nose this spectacular whisky offers up notes of heavy oak, barley sugar and some subtle smoke characters that play ever so well with amazingly complex flavours like custard cream, toffee and dried fruits. While the whisky threatens to be completely overpowering, the balance on the finish is nothing short of ground breaking. There is simply no better way to extend your whisky horizons than with a bottle of Amrut Fusion.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, PKay said:

Amrut looks interesting

While India may not be the first country to mind when great world whisky is mentioned, the Fusion Single Malt is about to change all that. Considered by Jim Murray to be the 3rd best whisky in the world as part of his 2010 Whisky Bible, the Fusion is a phenomenal amalgam of flavours, aromas and texture the envy of most, even in Scotland. On the nose this spectacular whisky offers up notes of heavy oak, barley sugar and some subtle smoke characters that play ever so well with amazingly complex flavours like custard cream, toffee and dried fruits. While the whisky threatens to be completely overpowering, the balance on the finish is nothing short of ground breaking. There is simply no better way to extend your whisky horizons than with a bottle of Amrut Fusion.

On 12/07/2020 at 9:54 PM, sir sanders zingmore said:

This arrived today

8BEDEC20-2CE0-4259-963F-F7E3DA7FE80B.jpeg.4aa38bffc40082e833607c4c548c4825.jpeg

• Like 1

Bought myself a birthday present :)  Looking forward to some treacle, bacon and bonfires!

Uig.jpg

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

Bought myself a birthday present :)  Looking forward to some treacle, bacon and bonfires!

🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃

Happy Birthday Pete 🙏

• Like 1