Jump to content

Single malt whisky


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Hi zingers my bottle arrived yesterday afternoon at 4pm...very surprised at such speed...well packaged too cos the courier dumped it loudly on the concrete patio at the front door...

SWMBO asked me what have I ordered from Doncaster!?

I dunno...ūü§≠

I didn't get a chance to try it last night. Will have  go this evening.

I'd be interested in your thoughts too

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working late with a Laphroaig Four Oak to keep me company

Wow I didn't know we have this category til today.   My collection  

This probably isn't the place for this, but given that it incudes a storage facility for singe malt whisky... why not!   One of my COVID projects was the conversion of a 'nook' into a bar (o

5 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I didn't get a chance to try it last night. Will have  go this evening.

I'd be interested in your thoughts too

 

Hahaha I never hesitated to trial a few snifters last night...

I had a win in a personal matter with the Govt...so out popped the cork against all my rules about drinking during the week! :) Sveiks...

 

20200910_163736.thumb.jpg.f5f6410c3d19f86f15812f30df9acfcc.jpg

20200910_163756.thumb.jpg.8066f375816c3cce83a8728959a2fc68.jpg

 

Interesting it was distilled 1998 then bottled March 2015...make of that what you will...but that is a long time not to be drunk...

I pour it out and let it loosen and breath for a while in my current fav whiskey glass...Reidel Vinum...well I thought I had given the dram ample oppo to loosen up but under my nose it seems it was a hard sell...rather than an appealing bouquet it was to my mind an unusual strong ordour...almost disagreeable...was it off?!? Does whiskey go off sealed in the bottle?!? Did I wash the Reidel Vinum properly?!? Nahhh come on they are all different in taste and bouquet...so in went the first sip...still strong unusual bouquet entering the nose but smooth on the palette with a little fiery trail down the throat and then the slow expansion of warmth...I mean it's 51.7%...not quiet as explosive as the Australian SMW Bakery Hill which comes in at 61%... :) Now that SMW explodes enough inya black guts to put some noticeable wobble in yur walk and legs.

Well after some efficient sipping the reidel was empty...wtf?!?! so I refilled...so I sipped some more...so as I sipped in easily to my third snifter of the night I said to SHMBO I've got it!!!! which startled her out of watching Harry Bosch on TV and she starts to give me the eye like Bosch does! ...here sniff this I reckon it's straw...heaps of straw?!? maybe hay?!? feck I canna remember what hay smells like now but jeez they all look and smell the same and it matches the colour of this Douglas...straw colour...yellow....

(Actually I'm thinking the scent of straw/hay is so pungent around us I'm starting to think the lounge room smells like a stable and why hasn't it attracted the sound of multiple clip clops and neighs at the front door! :) )   

And SWMBO replies yes...and some hint of vanilla...pepper....I re-sniff and nod yes! 

A very unusual bouquet up there with the SMW Auchentoshan Blood Oak for unusual bouquets...nearly a dead heat!

 

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


40 minutes ago, ericd said:

This current offer from Nick's was too good to resist. I contemplated for about 30 seconds before buying.

 

https://www.nicks.com.au/laphroaig-brodir-1991-james-macarthur-s-invergordon-23-year-old-old-masters-cask-strength-single-grain-scotch-whisky-bundle-buy-2x700ml

 

 

Thank you for the heads up...not going to miss out on this offer either....45 seconds before buying... :) 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It had been quite a long time since I drank this one, and I thought I would share my thoughts given it's not a common drop.

IMG_6329.thumb.jpg.3eb97db79513cc60c7e66823f394fb5c.jpg

 

Here's the tasting notes from nicks (who scored it 94):

Bright gold. Wow! A bouquet from out of the blue for a single grain. Semi-ripe honey-dew and pear tart, followed by applemint and grassy freshness. Packed with oily grains in the mouth ‚Äď at the same time so controlled and beautifully focused; a long thread of vanilla and caramelised orchard fruits with a slow burn of tingling alcohol that evaporates over the tongue. Drying, lipsmacking and moreish through the final stages. Hard to believe it‚Äôs 59%. Serious grain that's dangerously drinkable.¬†59% Alc./Vol. 1000 bottles.

 

Here's my review:

Bright gold. Wow! Ethanol. Tons of it. Your first mouthful will be a rude shock to your stomach.  You feel - every - drop - running down your throat in the process.  Interestingly after waiting a little while and you settle into the drink, while the front of the palate has a pretty  sharp taste (it tastes a lot younger than 8 years old!), you can really taste strong sweet characters typical of a bourbon cask finish such as honey, vanilla and a light fruity notes.

 

I wouldn't rate this one a 94 - I've had better cask strength drops for similar outlay.  It's rare for me to not agree with a review on Nicks but there's a first for everything eh?  Maybe I just chose a wrong day to have this one?

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, qik_shift said:

It had been quite a long time since I drank this one, and I thought I would share my thoughts given it's not a common drop.

IMG_6329.thumb.jpg.3eb97db79513cc60c7e66823f394fb5c.jpg

 

Here's the tasting notes from nicks (who scored it 94):

Bright gold. Wow! A bouquet from out of the blue for a single grain. Semi-ripe honey-dew and pear tart, followed by applemint and grassy freshness. Packed with oily grains in the mouth ‚Äď at the same time so controlled and beautifully focused; a long thread of vanilla and caramelised orchard fruits with a slow burn of tingling alcohol that evaporates over the tongue. Drying, lipsmacking and moreish through the final stages. Hard to believe it‚Äôs 59%. Serious grain that's dangerously drinkable.¬†59% Alc./Vol. 1000 bottles.

 

Here's my review:

Bright gold. Wow! Ethanol. Tons of it. Your first mouthful will be a rude shock to your stomach.  You feel - every - drop - running down your throat in the process.  Interestingly after waiting a little while and you settle into the drink, while the front of the palate has a pretty  sharp taste (it tastes a lot younger than 8 years old!), you can really taste strong sweet characters typical of a bourbon cask finish such as honey, vanilla and a light fruity notes.

 

I wouldn't rate this one a 94 - I've had better cask strength drops for similar outlay.  It's rare for me to not agree with a review on Nicks but there's a first for everything eh?  Maybe I just chose a wrong day to have this one?

That's a shame cos I'm always on the look out for a nice Irish drop...

Link to post
Share on other sites

New glassware will be getting a workout this weekend! My brother's milestone birthday celebrations ūü•Éūüć∑ūüćĺūü•āūüćĽūüéāūüéĀūüéČūüéą

IMG20200914134658.thumb.jpg.9ac8d271c3d20e8dccc95e085986eb47.jpgIMG20200914140250.thumb.jpg.87827852629665ebd6dd5b7234263f2b.jpgIMG20200914171903.thumb.jpg.7cff63eda8488273810c9da4b5e17fb8.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites


On 14/09/2020 at 1:55 PM, ericd said:

This current offer from Nick's was too good to resist. I contemplated for about 30 seconds before buying.

 

https://www.nicks.com.au/laphroaig-brodir-1991-james-macarthur-s-invergordon-23-year-old-old-masters-cask-strength-single-grain-scotch-whisky-bundle-buy-2x700ml

 

 

He who hesitates is sad...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I gather this is a pretty rare beast.  My understanding is that it predated and inspired all subsequent releases of the famed "Black Bowmore".  As the label indicates, it was bottled in 1985 when it was already 21yo. 

 

IMG_1759.thumb.JPG.a1d3e408a7e13bca3bdf70ee8f343d48.JPG 

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tony M said:

I gather this is a pretty rare beast.  My understanding is that it predated and inspired all subsequent releases of the famed "Black Bowmore".  As the label indicates, it was bottled in 1985 when it was already 21yo. 

 

IMG_1759.thumb.JPG.a1d3e408a7e13bca3bdf70ee8f343d48.JPG 

 

 

Oh wow a very special bottling indeed and if I were you for something as good as this id be decanting the remains into smaller bottles as theres quite a lot of air inside there no so there's the risk of oxidation spoiling the smell and taste of what remains.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites


Seems Ireland is my theme of the week so sticking to it tonight.

 

This bottle is priced at $58, and for the price this forms a great bang for buck Irish Whiskey.  Colour tells me this is a young'un, and I know it's not a single malt per thread title (I'll share these as I go too I promise!), but the sweetness that hits you right from the start has great longevity and has a gentleness that you would be forgiven thinking this was a respectable single malt worth up to twice it's asking price in a blindfold test.  Worth a try for people wanting a more affordable daily drinker.

 

 

IMG_6339.thumb.jpg.27cd2a6d175f99cfc36abb2b2aa005d9.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/09/2020 at 9:26 PM, pete_mac said:

Cracked the Glenkinchie tonight. A clean, smooth dram. Certainly not a bag of fireworks, but enjoyable nonetheless and a nice finish. 

2BCF3722-4616-46EE-BF9D-3FE68605E77A.jpeg

Nice photo composition ūüôā

 

Cheers big ears

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/09/2020 at 9:08 AM, pete_mac said:

 

Well played sir! I hope we both get the opportunity to grab one!

 

 

On 09/09/2020 at 9:03 PM, qik_shift said:

Thanks - I've put a bid in too.  If I get a bottle, maybe some Melburnians can meet outdoors somewhere (when we're allowed!) and I can share it.

I missed out. How did you go?

Link to post
Share on other sites


Wow - I'm a YES!!!

Congratulations! You have won an opportunity to purchase

1x Single Malt Whisky

of our Archie Rose Single Malt Whisky 1st Batch Pre-release Ballot.

........................

This payment link will expire at 25 Sep 2020, 9:59 a.m. AEST/AEDT.

Congratulations again and we hope you enjoy your purchase in the spirit it was created: to be savoured in good company and served the way you like.

Cheers, the Archie Rose team.

 

Payment made, and looking forward to restrictions lifting and an opportunity to say hi to some of you :)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

....and to celebrate - one of my more special drops.  Purchased from Cadenheads in Edinburgh when I was there a few years back and the bottle is poured straight from the cask into the bottle.  I was impressed back then and I'm even more impressed today - is my good mood from winning the ballot affecting my judgement?  mmm don't think so.

 

There's some nice complexity to the aroma.  It smells pleasantly sweet with lots of honey (I think I'm picking up some lighter citrus sweetness coming through too) and slightly peated/meaty.  Drinking it doesn't disappoint.  Don't let the cask strength (59.7%) fool you into preparing yourself for burn - this is a smooth drinker and tastes as complex as it smells.  Dates, a hock of ham and just a hint of citrus comes through and blend perfectly.

 

A great drop.

    

IMG_6367.thumb.jpg.4a5fda7e081960c8b648ad975d6b8df9.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 81Vintage said:

Decent ***** from the collection on Saturday night.

 

Nikka.jpg

I've had this before at a friend's house and agree - one that doesn't come to the forefront when people think Japanese whiskey and yet it should.  Nicely balanced drop.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, qik_shift said:

Wow - I'm a YES!!!

Congratulations! You have won an opportunity to purchase

1x Single Malt Whisky

of our Archie Rose Single Malt Whisky 1st Batch Pre-release Ballot.

........................

This payment link will expire at 25 Sep 2020, 9:59 a.m. AEST/AEDT.

Congratulations again and we hope you enjoy your purchase in the spirit it was created: to be savoured in good company and served the way you like.

Cheers, the Archie Rose team.

 

Payment made, and looking forward to restrictions lifting and an opportunity to say hi to some of you :)

I'll have a go on Monday at midday...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, misternavi said:

FRI-YAY!!!! Who else has poured a BIG glass of whiskey?
I started on Monday.

1335_0126.jpg

Dalmore an a cigar...a match made in heaven.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, misternavi said:

FRI-YAY!!!! Who else has poured a BIG glass of whiskey?
I started on Monday.

 

That is an impressive photo!!!!!  And yes you're inspiring me :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/09/2020 at 7:06 AM, Cloth Ears said:

I'll have a go on Monday at midday...

 

On 24/09/2020 at 7:16 AM, BLAH BLAH said:

You and another 1000 hopeful whisky aficionados...good luck to all and especially me! ūü§≠ūüėäūüĎć

 

Good luck!  Fingers crossed for you both.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 81Vintage said:

Nice, I am looking to sell my humidor cigar collection... wonder if I can list it on here in the general section. Otherwise, PM me for details.

IMG_20200312_171703.jpg

IMG_20200312_171624.jpg

Man, that's pretty...empty or full?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, 81Vintage said:

Nice, I am looking to sell my humidor cigar collection... wonder if I can list it on here in the general section. Otherwise, PM me for details.

IMG_20200312_171703.jpg

IMG_20200312_171624.jpg

Monica?

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/09/2020 at 8:17 PM, qik_shift said:

 

 

Good luck!  Fingers crossed for you both.

Damn! Got in there and got a bottle in my cart, then constant issues trying to pay for it. Until after about 8 minutes, it came up as sold out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BLAH BLAH said:

Yeah my payment details are still hanging/processing...must mean it's sold out for me as well! :( 

And I'm not going to buy it 2nd hand at (I'm guessing) over $400/bottle (based on the current price of a Rye first batch).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cloth Ears said:

And I'm not going to buy it 2nd hand at (I'm guessing) over $400/bottle (based on the current price of a Rye first batch).

Oh that Archie Rose First Rye Batch is smick! Quality drop and flavour...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Oh that Archie Rose First Rye Batch is smick! Quality drop and flavour...

It probably is, but I have a health issue. If I spend more than $400 on a bottle of anything, my wife will kill me!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

17 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

Damn! Got in there and got a bottle in my cart, then constant issues trying to pay for it. Until after about 8 minutes, it came up as sold out.

 

Likewise... extremely disappointed!!!!

 

 

10 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Oh that Archie Rose First Rye Batch is smick! Quality drop and flavour...

 

John, I'm pretty sure that the bottle you scored is the standard release (the same bottle/release that I have here at home). These aren't marked as the 'first batch' as such, and can still be purchased for $119 from many retail outlets (despite Archie Rose having sold out).

 

The first rye malt batch was individually marked and numbered and sold out within an hour of release back on 1 August 2019:

 

https://www.harvestliquor.com.au/ardchie-rose-rye-malt-batch-1

 

But oh yes... the rye malt is a lovely drop indeed. Very very enjoyable.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...