Jake

Single malt whisky

Long time whisky drinker, first time poster (in this thread). How could I have missed this?

Currently I have the following collection:

-Johnnie Walker Blue Label -a gift for services rendered and one drink from being emptied.

-JW Red Label- also a gift for services but a long, long time before I'll drink this. A dreadful blended whisky if ever there was one.

-JW Double Black- purchased duty free on a recent OS trip. Similar to Black label but smokier and denser in flavour. Not opened......yet.

-Suntory Royal 12 Yr Old- a fine mild flavoured Japanese single malt. Had this one for a long time and nearly finished.

-Dalwhinnie 15 Yr Old- a gift. Not opened. No idea what it's like.

-Chivas Regal Royal Salute- Sapphire flagon 21 year old single malt unopened and also bought on recent trip.

-Glenfiddich Pure malt- in the green and cream porcelain jug. Was my parents up until 5 years ago when I was given it. Been around as long as I can remember and is still half full.

The one whisky I have remembered over all of the others I have drunk (There's been lots of them!) was Auchentoshan. The 5 yr old triple distilled was a beautiful drop (and I'm not one for fancy descriptions of scotch, red wine and the like but....) with hints of citrus in its smell but almost a chocolate flavour to its taste. At least thats what I got out of it. I only ever found one bottle of it in Melbourne but would've loved another. I had the 10 yr old as well and, as much as it was very nice, was not as enjoyable as the 5 yr old. Alas, I don't believe itis available any more.

That is all. All this typing is making me thirsty. Night cap anyone?

Edited by shaky

here another nice wee dram,

not sure if it's available in NZ or Aus. almost finished my only bottle ex UK.

Glenrothes

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35099[/ATTACH]

Jen and I joined the Scotch Malt Whiskey Society tonight. We had a fantastic time and highly recommend it.

http://www.smws.com.au/pages/index.php

Afterwards I tried one of my regular burbourn and cokes and it was too sickly sweet. I think I can get used to the fine whisky's :rolleyes:

Jen and I joined the Scotch Malt Whiskey Society tonight. We had a fantastic time and highly recommend it.

Afterwards I tried one of my regular burbourn and cokes and it was too sickly sweet. I think I can get used to the fine whisky's :rolleyes:

So, you'll be dropping the bourbon and cokes from now on? Actually, you might like to try some of the good bourbons out there: Bookers, Bakers, Woodford's Reserve and the like. A different taste to Scotch but fine whiskeys they are.

Don't think I've tried that one you mention in the next post but I have had 1 Aussie whiskey, was quite nice, can't remember the name though.

DS

That is the plan, get off the coke that is. I've had the bourbons you listed and they quite nice. I am wanting to acquire a new taste though.

Some family friends own the Lark Distillery, has anyone tried them ?

http://www.larkdistillery.com.au/

I received a bottle of their cask strength as a gift last year. It's more honey than smoke (I usually drink the peaty stuff) and though not harsh it's quite forward with its high alcohol content - "lively" might be a good word.

ow, sounds like I would probably like it then. Might have to see if they can hook us up with a bottle.

If Lark Distillery is the one from Tassie then I have a bottle and really enjoy it, off topic they also make a "Pepper Berry" drink that I and everyone whos tried it loves

my folks got back from Britain last week.

The visited the Isle of Arran, where a scotch is produced, so I've a wee little 50 ml bottle of "The Arran Malt", a single malt scotch, aged for 10 years, non chill filtered the label says.

Will let you know how it tastes mixed with a fine coca-cola.

my folks got back from Britain last week.

The visited the Isle of Arran, where a scotch is produced, so I've a wee little 50 ml bottle of "The Arran Malt", a single malt scotch, aged for 10 years, non chill filtered the label says.

Will let you know how it tastes mixed with a fine coca-cola.

You barbarian :rolleyes:

Afterwards I tried one of my regular burbourn and cokes and it was too sickly sweet. I think I can get used to the fine whisky's :)

Hello Drizt,

Yes, scotch is one of the great pleasures available to us, produced in many flavours and with great history. Enjoy. Try Glenfarclas.

My uncle calls me a blasphemer, but barbarian will do. Cheers!

Ye deserve the Gods of cholic and gripe to visit yon.... :)

The bottle we ordered via the Scotch Malt Whiskey Society arrived today :) We will have to leave this one for special occasions.

P9050016.JPG

The descriptions sometimes have me scratching my head though.....

Whisky.jpg

Thanks mate, I was trying to be artistic, but I think I failed. (Poor photographer)

Enjoying a very small glass of it now, hmmmmmm so very very nice.

It tastes so different to your regular store bought whiskies that I have had thus far (granted not many). I tried some Johnnie Gold (yes, I know, a blend) over the weekend and though it was quite enjoyable it's got nothing on this :)

I'll now put the bottle away out of sight, to only be brought out on special occasions :)

Offsets the SGRs very nicely.

Cheers!

Whilst on the subject of whisky, what methods do whisky drinkers use to make it clear that they do not want, ice, water or any other contamination in their whisky, or have they given up and stopped ordering whisky, when in the pub or restaurant. I find that asking for it either "straight" or "neat" results on blanks looks or "do you want that on the rocks". About the only line I have heard used so far has been can I have a xxx on the rocks, with out the rocks. The other weekend, I ended up with mineral water in my drink! They did not even get a chance to put in on the table, before I (politely) sent it back.

My other hate, when in restaurants, is asking what whisky they have and the wait staff looking at you as if if I had asked them something really obscure (probably serves me right for wanting a whisky with my meal).

The most intriguing incident to date, was when a place refused to serve me a whisky without ice, as it contravened their responsible service of alcohol policy! I asked them to serve the ice in a different glass

I like it with ice but clearly this should be the choice of the consumer.

So Drizt, welcome to the world of alcohol reviews. You really should be used to this sort of language, plenty of it in HiFi reviews. To be honest I find a lot of that sort of language to be wankery, but, how do you describe the taste of a good whisky, wine etc, or even the sound of a good HiFi? The main thing is: do you enjoy drinking it? Should I ask if you've done a double blind with the JW Gold :)

DS

I'd pass easy :)

I agree, it is hard to describe these things but some of the reviews are just wacky. One of the descriptions described the smell as tattoo ink for gods sake :confused:) . About the only thing useful to me so far from reading the reviews is the description of the colour :)

Yep, wacky they can be. Mind you, I've often found that a good Cab Sav smells like old socks! Funny how that sort of description never makes it into the reviews.

DS

Yep, wacky they can be. Mind you, I've often found that a good Cab Sav smells like old socks! Funny how that sort of description never makes it into the reviews.

DS

Dear god, I could not drink something that smelt like old socks. Oh, hang on, do you spill red on your socks? Could that could explain it :)

I've learnt that I do not like peat'y whiskey. Smells and tastes horrible. Whiskey from Islay is definitely not for me.

DS

I had a bottle of Preece once that smelled like dog food. Full on.