Jake

Single malt whisky

Guest guru
As it turns out I am drinking the last of a bottle oh Johnnie Green at the moment. Will have to go into the garage and get another bottle tomorrow. I keep at least six malts open at any time to sip according to my mood, and while I have nothing nothing like guru, I always seem to have about 5 dozen of my favourite malts on hand as I buy when I see a good deal. Bought some of the last of Compass Box Peat Monster in Australia a few weeks ago.

Try Johnny Green. A very nice vatted malt - not a grain whisky.

evening sm,

i ghost the wine auctions picking up the scent of son's and daughters disposing of their late fathers vile tipples. always works a treat but i'm not the only one out there. oldest one i have at the moment is a 1959 macallan.

cheers,g.

evening sm,

i ghost the wine auctions picking up the scent of son's and daughters disposing of their late fathers vile tipples. always works a treat but i'm not the only one out there. oldest one i have at the moment is a 1959 macallan.

cheers,g.

Nice, very nice. I have not indulged in Macallans all that much, only have a few bottles of the Select Oak on hand. In fact you have just motivated me to have a bit after the Johnny Green. Very different nose a little more assertive with bite (in an elegant way). Stuff all peat, which is as usually expected from a Speyside, so most probably not a whisky of attraction to the OP, however very very good. Not in the league of your 1959 of course.

I thought of buying a few bottles of the Glenfarclas 1977 from the U.K.to celebrate the Mustud marriage year, however decided that a couple dozen of 1996 Lanson made a better wedding anniversary prezzie for the two of us.

Sounds like your taste in Scotch is in sync with your taste in hi fi. Enjoy.

Stuff all peat, which is as usually expected from a Speyside, so most probably not a whisky of attraction to the OP

The Laughfrog chosen basically at random. I will drink anyone's whisky :D

The Laughfrog chosen basically at random. I will drink anyone's whisky :D

That's what I like to hear!

Whisky is one of the most interesting distilled drinks that can be explored. Made in pretty much every country. A huge range available. A fascinating history, and far more so than cognac, a wide variety of flavours to be appreciated. And yes, even the cheapest usually has redeeming features. I can enjoy sipping Johnny Red quite easily. Well, with a slight dash of water.

I'm another Glennfiddich supporter - but alas the cupboard is bare.

I have been slowly enjoying a bottle of Para port as my short drink over the last while but this thread has strengthened my resolve to get back to a good single malt.

BTW, my preference is to only add filtered water at room temperature. I was told many years ago that ice bruises good whisky and my experience since tends to agree.

As for those that add coke - well, each to his own is about the kindest thing I could say. ;-)

ALSO - has anyone noticed that Rath is new here? Welcome to SNA, mate!

I'm another Glennfiddich supporter - but alas the cupboard is bare.

I have been slowly enjoying a bottle of Para port as my short drink over the last while but this thread has strengthened my resolve to get back to a good single malt.

BTW, my preference is to only add filtered water at room temperature. I was told many years ago that ice bruises good whisky and my experience since tends to agree.

As for those that add coke - well, each to his own is about the kindest thing I could say. ;-)

ALSO - has anyone noticed that Rath is new here? Welcome to SNA, mate!

Actually it looks like we have 2 new members on this thread. Welcome guys. Great to see a couple of new whisky fanciers on board.

Yes, no ice is close to gospel.

Having said that, Spain is one of the biggest consumers of Scotch. Yes, it is almost exclusively grain whisky, and they use it as a mixer with coke and ice, but hey, years ago I used to enjoy Turkey and diet coke so who am I to preach.

I think that the palate develops as time goes by. Perhaps the palate also becomes a little less sensitive with age and starts to really appreciate the flavour differences in the various fire waters. At that stage things like vodka also lose any attractiveness.

Thanks for the welcome. Have to say I am hardly a connoisseur when it comes to whisky. Very impressed with the knowledge of some of the commenters here, not to mention the contents of their whisky cellars! Might have another look at the Laughfrog, and might consider a dalliance with the Johnny Green next time I venture to the local.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34170[/ATTACH]

Nixons, Melbourne. mmmmm nice single malt.

hgholden

Actually it looks like we have 2 new members on this thread. Welcome guys. Great to see a couple of new whisky fanciers on board.

Yes, no ice is close to gospel.

Having said that, Spain is one of the biggest consumers of Scotch. Yes, it is almost exclusively grain whisky, and they use it as a mixer with coke and ice, but hey, years ago I used to enjoy Turkey and diet coke so who am I to preach.

I think that the palate develops as time goes by. Perhaps the palate also becomes a little less sensitive with age and starts to really appreciate the flavour differences in the various fire waters. At that stage things like vodka also lose any attractiveness.

the highball has made a big comeback in japan the last few years. apparently causing a shortage of some of the younger stock of single malts to create blends. not a fan myself but there are a couple of whiky's i do prefer with ice and will usually try new whisky with and without first up. yamazaki 12 in particular really becomes very sweet and aromatic with a bit of ice and is much nicer in qld summer chilled a little.

the laphroaig cask streght is like a punch in the face the first time but a great drink to share with unsuspecting friends and watch them cough and splutter.

By an amazing happy accident, Laphroaig 25yo cask strength - with just one tiny piece of ice - was my first introduction to good whisky. I've never enjoyed any drink/substance as much as I enjoyed that. Just magic.

also has anyone tried any of the tasmanian offerings? have read some good reports but haven't tasted.

I was given a bottle of Lark, also cask strength. No peat whatsoever, more of a honey-like flavour. Very strong vapours! Not a relaxed drop but quite rewarding.

I must say I far prefer whisky with ice. I just find it takes the edge off and allows me to taste the complexities of the drink in hand. I also like it a little chilled so ice it is for me. Each to their own I reckon although there is a line, mixing a good whisky with coke is just a waste.

DS

I must say I far prefer whisky with ice. I just find it takes the edge off and allows me to taste the complexities of the drink in hand. I also like it a little chilled so ice it is for me. Each to their own I reckon although there is a line, mixing a good whisky with coke is just a waste.

DS

David, your whisky drinking preference explains why you are so frosty on private school education. I sense an opportunity to expand your view now I understand the cause.

Thanks for the welcome. Have to say I am hardly a connoisseur when it comes to whisky. Very impressed with the knowledge of some of the commenters here, not to mention the contents of their whisky cellars! Might have another look at the Laughfrog, and might consider a dalliance with the Johnny Green next time I venture to the local.

The love of whisky crept up on me over a number of years. Let this be a warning to you!

the highball has made a big comeback in japan the last few years. apparently causing a shortage of some of the younger stock of single malts to create blends. not a fan myself but there are a couple of whiky's i do prefer with ice and will usually try new whisky with and without first up. yamazaki 12 in particular really becomes very sweet and aromatic with a bit of ice and is much nicer in qld summer chilled a little.

You make a good point on drinking in a Queensland summer. Alas Davidsssssss has no such excuse. Methinks he is just frosty.

Hi Dave - must offer you a Glenfarclas with a slight dash of water next time we meet (I brought a bottle once to a GTG at Keith's however no-one seemed interested).

I brought a bottle once to a GTG at Keith's however no-one seemed interested.

What was wrong with those people???

Hi All,

A long time burbourn drinker here. I would like to get into Whisky, but wouldn't know where to start. Which one would you recommend for a burbourn drinker to start out with? Are there some places where you could do a winery type tour for Whisky's?

You gave me a small glass of something at Keith's ages ago, it was very nice from memory but could have done with ice. Maybe the ice is just a personal preference, I put ice in my water bottles when I ride my bike to work in the middle of winter, I just like things cold. All I can say to those wimpy private school types who can't handle ice in their whisky is HTFU.

BTW, this thread has the potential to be very expensive :confused:

DS

Today's purchase:

3551.jpg

You guys are going to be the ruin of me.

My new favourite is Caol Ila 12yo.

image_2011714153222391.jpg

But then i'm very partial to many of the Islay single malts, i love their smokey and peaty flavour. For more smoke less peat i also enjoy the Talisker 10yo reasonable buying around $70-75.

My new favourite is Caol Ila 12yo.

image_2011714153222391.jpg

But then i'm very partial to many of the Islay single malts, i love their smokey and peaty flavour. For more smoke less peat i also enjoy the Talisker 10yo reasonable buying around $70-75.

A little hint.

Ardbeg at $70 per bottle from Vintage Direct is outstanding value.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34188[/ATTACH]

Some very nice whiskies being posted up here.

A great enhancement to the music listening experience.

A little hint.

Ardbeg at $70 per bottle from Vintage Direct is outstanding value.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34188[/ATTACH]

Agree wholeheartedly. IMHO the best quality/price combination of all the single malts available at Vintage Direct

Has anyone here had experience with Sullivan's Cove?

Has anyone here had experience with Sullivan's Cove?

Ahh...Mary Sullivan....*vision goes blurry ~ harp music plays*.....

Oh, sorry...wrong Sullivan's cove :)

Do try and be sensible for a moment, Jake.:)