Jake

Single malt whisky

20190608_165820.thumb.jpg.47f879c2d005f1984e45c937f9307da7.jpg

Enjoyed this one, went down too quickly...has the warmth of fire in the belly for you, not overly smokey to the point of being in front of a wood fire, has hints on the aftertaste of floral sweetness...a nice elegant tipple...nice price, may just get another! :)

Ardbeg Uigeadail for just $120 at Dans for members. Name a better whiskey for that money and I'll happily tell you you're wrong :)

The Glenfiddich 21yo Rum Cask fro $185 is also a very, very good price...about $80 off other sellers. Some might scoff at the "low" 40% abv, but it's all in the tasting and boy does it taste great.

Cheers Spyne, Uigeadail is my favorite readily available malt which I unfortunately stopped buying a few years ago due to the rocketing prices (Ardbeg & Talisker have gone insane with pricing). Glad to see it back at $120 which is the price I was paying in the day.

Posted (edited)

My go to is Glenlivet 12

image.thumb.png.f4b6624894b27c17c18eb396f3dd3240.png

And I also do enjoy a Belvenie 12

image.thumb.png.afb91d4ded75f5b63542ef97d55e7edd.png

Edited by audiohippo

As long as it's better than the 2017 12yo! Yuk!!

Far and away the worst whisky I've ever tasted, and I usually love me a Laga 10 or 16

We love some Mac 25 with our SET’s......6815D11D-3A76-41B3-8795-59DDC1F0571B.thumb.jpeg.3e5917bb7a15b10a23d020d6d2f277b4.jpeg

On 01/12/2018 at 2:22 PM, Dave O))) said:

6d1d979f0ed7ae4861db40fb7ab1d5c2.jpg

Cigars and whisky taken together has been a favoured combination for far too long. Has anyone fond of this sport ever asked themselves what smoking a cigar does to tastebuds? 

Is it that old cultural cringe I thought had died out in Oz some years ago or does the almost total avoidance of any mention here of Tasmanian whisky really mean it’s all crap? My ignorant taste buds tell me otherwise. Speaking of tastebuds I’ve never been able to get my head around the notion a good single malt should be accompanied by a good cuban cigar. Or to put it another way, never trust a chef who smokes.

Anyhow, in my uneducated ignorance I’ll continue to enjoy this innocent little  local drop.  ....  ..  ..  ....

Oh, and guess where Hellyers are exporting increasing quantities to  ? ? ? ? No, not China, although they do flog a fair amount to  Chinese tourists at cellar door sales.

https://hellyersroaddistillery.com.au

WHI7975-15-Year-Original-Bottle-1.jpg

Edited by Karl Rand

7 minutes ago, Karl Rand said:

Is it that old cultural cringe I thought had died out in Oz some years ago or does the almost total avoidance of any mention of Tasmanian whisky really mean it’s all crap? My ignorant taste buds tell me otherwise. Speaking of tastebuds I’ve never been able to get my head around the notion a good single malt should be accompanied by a good cuban cigar. Or to put it another way, never trust a chef who smokes.

Anyhow, in my uneducated ignorance I’ll continue to enjoy this little innocent local drop.  ....  ..  ..  ....

WHI7975-15-Year-Original-Bottle-1.jpg

I’m a big fan of the hellyers Rd Pinot barrel whisky 👍

Tasmanian whisky is generally tops in my opinion. The problem is that, with the exception of Hellyers Rd, it's so damn expensive. The Belgrove Whisky for example is fantastic, as is Lark. And of course Sullivan's Cove.

Edited by ericd

Australian whisky in general is very good. But as mentioned, is also generally very expensive when compared to its Scottish counterparts.

Small production, higher overheads and much higher local taxes mean distillers in Oz have to charge a higher price for their product to stay afloat.
Hellyers and Starward are the two exceptions due to their larger scale operations and, in Starward's case, investment received from Diego.

2 hours ago, ~Spyne~ said:

Australian whisky in general is very good. But as mentioned, is also generally very expensive when compared to its Scottish counterparts.

Small production, higher overheads and much higher local taxes mean distillers in Oz have to charge a higher price for their product to stay afloat.
Hellyers and Starward are the two exceptions due to their larger scale operations and, in Starward's case, investment received from Diego.

There’s also the factor of what Chinese tourists are willing to pay. I asked the owner of the Launceston Pinot shop

https://tinyurl.com/y673kjhh  how she survived as often I found myself her only customer. Apparently from early spring to autumn bus loads of Chinese tourists arrive and spend up in the thousands of Australian dollars each on wine. They usually pay on the spot to have their purchases air-freighted home.  When it arrives they have to pay Chinese import duty. The sad thing  is a significant percent of what’s purchased is put down in cellars as an investment never to be drunk. The silliest part is apparently they can’t be told a lot of what they buy isn’t going to age well. Go figure. 

The Chinese spend up on Tasmanian Scotch is on a similar scale. 

All this makes getting bargains for locals like myself a challenge. I’ve found a few little wineries off the beaten tourist track though, but I sure ain’t gunna name them here. 

Edited by Karl Rand

4 hours ago, ericd said:

Tasmanian whisky is generally tops in my opinion. The problem is that, with the exception of Hellyers Rd, it's so damn expensive. The Belgrove Whisky for example is fantastic, as is Lark. And of course Sullivan's Cove.

Were you ever brave enough to try Belgrove’s HOLY S.H.I.T ? The description sounds bloody awful to me. "Think peanut, sesame, toffee, honey, vanilla, hessian sacks and lots of smoke!” It’s smoked with their very own sheep s.h.i.t no less.  http://belgrovedistillery.com.au/purchase/

product_whollyshit-1.jpg

Edited by Karl Rand

On 14/07/2011 at 6:48 PM, markjd101 said:

Spotted this at Dan Murphy's earlier in the week:

903436_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569832056754.jpg

Alas, all I have left in the cupboard is more Ballantines, JW Black and Glenfiddich :D

On 14/07/2011 at 6:36 PM, rath said:

At the risk of letting out a best-kept whisky secret resulting in the price going up.... the enchantingly mellow whisky with virtually no unpleasant next-day effects regardless of how much is put away: Baillie Nichol Jarvie. No smoky flavour, I'm afraid, but no merciless kick; it's almost neutral/apathetic in its lack of effrontery.

It's a Protestant whisky (if the blarney on the label is anything to go by) which confilicts with my Jacobite sympathies, but it is a faithful and trustworthy companion.

My father is Irish; it was all about Bushmill's, Chivas Regal, etc. and I learnt to pour him a whiskey and water (Irish whiskey ASISYK is spelt with the added e) from a young age. Sad, I know. He's older now and he's paying for his years of excess. If I'd known about the Baillie all those years ago, I'd have told him.

Jacobite sympathies? What on earth does that make us peasants who prefer a Tasmanian drop?