I now have an opportunity to buy a 2yo pair of spendor 9 for a reasonable price and for the moment power it with my cuurrent  yamaha aventage amp.i will later upgrade the amp.My  concern now is what streamer I will buy with  my budget of around $4000.I would be interested to know everyones opinion as my knowledge is limited. I was originally looking at spending less and considered a Lindeman Limetree setup but felt it  may be limiting me long term  and I am now considering an Auralic G1.As usual your thoughts are appreciated.

Given that streamers are at their heart, a computer strapped to some analogue circuitary, I don’t think it is possible to get one that doesn’t limit you in the long term. These are not going to age like a vintage Krell amp or classic tannoys. I’m not saying you shouldn’t buy a good one, you should just assume you might want another in five years!

I have a Cambridge CXN v2, which is a reasonable all in one box. If you want to get heavily into rolling DACs, it may not be for you, as it doesn’t do USB as a digital output. They have updated the firmware over the period I have had it multiple times, adding chromecast and Roon support at different times, as well as upgrading the app which you use. I have looked for reasons to upgrade, and as yet have not seen anything else which combines a good user interface (I use Roon for much of my use, but also use tidal and internet radio), sound which is non fatiguing, but detailed, and a reasonable price point.

20 hours ago, Ian Lyons said:

Lumin do not support Android. Why would they not

Lumin offers an Android app.  In addition, you may also also use Linn Kazoo, Bubble DS Next, other OpenHome and UPnP controllers to control Lumin hardware.

I have been using the Auralic Aries G1 in my system for about three months now & I'm extremely happy with it.

The Lightning DS app is very slick & polished to the point I find it unnecessary to purchase say Roon.

The other big bonus with the G1 which a lot of other streamers don't have is the dual built in linear power supplies.

There are a lot of on line reviews but I found this one very detailed & informative.

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/auralic-aries-g1-streamer/

Sure no direct Android app is a negative but if you are outlaying $4k it is only going to cost a little more for say a S/H iPad. I use a 13" iPad Pro for control which gives a really nice interface.

Also the latest firmware update now lets you connect a external CD USB drive for ripping or playing CD's.

No I don't sell these just a very happy owner.

😃

• Like 3