Which processor and Amp

I’m currently running a Pioneer Lx89 and an emotiva xp5 for my HT duties. Speakers are Klipsch RP series (280’s up front, 450c, RP250s surrounds, Klipsch atmos upfiring, and dual PSA x30se’s.

I think it’s either time to go separates or a Denon 8500 and a new amp. I’m not a fan of the emotiva so it’s going to the kids lounge room. 

The two amps I’ve narrowed my search down to are the Rotel 1585 and the Elektra HD2 7, but am open to other suggestions. 

the part I’m struggling with is to either buy a Denon 8500 for the processor duties or an actual processor and if so, does anyone have any recommendations? Is there a benefit of going with a processor vs the 8500? Any good pairings that someone can recommend?

I know some will tell me to get different speakers but I quite like the RPs for the theatre room. I certainly wouldn’t use them in my music area!  

thanks

Edited by flamjam

Why not let the Denon 8500 do everything.

According to it's price point, specs ( a $7K AVR made in Japan) and below review it should run your Klipsch's with absolute ease and sound great doing it!!!!

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x8500h-dolby-atmos-network-receiver-review

Save the separates angle ( and $ ) for your "music area"........?  

If you simply MUST go separates then the latest Anthem AVM 70 and 90 Pre/Pro's are worth a look as they have the latest and highly praised ARC Genesis Room EQ.

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/exclusive-anthem-unveils-new-2021-av-processor-av-receiver-and-amplifier-range

IME the Elektra would handle power duties VERY nicely.

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2020 at 11:01 PM, flamjam said:

the part I’m struggling with is to either buy a Denon 8500 for the processor duties or an actual processor and if so, does anyone have any recommendations?

This shouldn't be a struggle. If you are using a separate power amp, quite simply, do not pay for more amps in a receiver. Buy a processor. I agree with the above recommendation for Anthem. Either look for a discounted AVM 60, now that is EOL, or sign yourself up for an AVM 70 with your nearest dealer.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mr_Orange said:

This shouldn't be a struggle. If you are using a separate power amp, quite simply, do not pay for more amps in a receiver. Buy a processor. I agree with the above recommendation for Anthem. Either look for a discounted AVM 60, now that is EOL, or sign yourself up for an AVM 70 with your nearest dealer.

Depends on how many channels you are going to run and how many channels are available in your chosen power amp(s).

If you want to run 7 channels and use the Rotel you are short by two if you use a processor. Same if you want to run 9 and use the Elektra.....

If you have the money to spend go the Elektra HD2 its hands down better over the Rotel. I’m currently using a Marantz AV-8802a with both the Elektra HD Reference for front speakers and HD2 for surround speakers, I started off with various Rotel power amps, they are good power amps for the price but the Elektra is substantially better but will cost more, I think the Elektra still comes out on top for overall price vs performance.

JDH

Edited by jdh500
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Get either the Marantz AV8805 processor or the Anthem AVM60. And for power amps the Rotel RMB-1585 is a very good amp for the money. I've had no experience with the Elektra amps so no comment. Another multi-channel amps to highly consider would be the Parasound Halo A51 and a used Classe Delta CA-5300 or a used Classe Sigma Amp5 which both have been discontinued and can be had pretty cheap in used after markets eg Audiogon, eBay, MusicDirect, etc.  

But for your Klipsch speakers I would consider getting warmer sounding amp & pre combo since Klipsch tend to sound bright. 

The Rotel RMB-1585 & Parasound Halo A51 amps leaned towards a warmer side of neutral and will probably pair better with your Klipsch. The Marantz AV8805 pre pro also leans toward warm tonally.

The Classe amps are very neutral sounding. 

I do have the Classe Sigma Amp2 stereo power amp in my setup driving my Monitor Audio Gold 200 5g speakers and they sound great together. Tonally my MA Gold 200 5g speakers (5th gen or latest gen of Gold series) are more on a warm side of neutral with smooth highs & mids and pair quite well with the Classe. 

I use the Classe SSP 800 preamp processor to drive the Sigma Amp2 amp. 

On 03/11/2020 at 12:01 AM, flamjam said:

I’m currently running a Pioneer Lx89 and an emotiva xp5 for my HT duties. Speakers are Klipsch RP series (280’s up front, 450c, RP250s surrounds, Klipsch atmos upfiring, and dual PSA x30se’s.

I think it’s either time to go separates or a Denon 8500 and a new amp. I’m not a fan of the emotiva so it’s going to the kids lounge room. 

Maybe look at it from a maths perspective flamjam . Is the emo an xpa5  or xpr5 ? If the former I would let it drive your ceilings being not as important as your bed speakers - for which an elektra would handle those  7 . Or if you want wides as well a new gen3 xpa9 ? Modular amps come in handy later on . 

I have a elektra hd and a xpa5 gen3  atm ; you can never have too much current delivery ;even with hi efficiency Klipsch ?

The good thing about separates is you dont need to throw out an exxy avr one day [ the denon has to go back to the factory for its hdmi2.1 upgrade B) ]  ; an anthem av60 will be cheaper soon enough if you dont fancy the 70

Edited by cwt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest niterida

Spend your money on proper height speakers (unless you physically can't install them?).

I would recommend buying 4 matching Klipsch bookshelf and mount them on-ceiling pointing at MLP - this will probably give you a bigger improvement than any AVR or amp upgrade IMO

I have an 8500 and it’s very good.  Currently running 7.1.2 just fine.  I was going to get a power amp but decided it’s unnecessary in my instance.  Was also thinking of the pre pro but decided the extra cost seemed a lot more for not much.

can also be acquired for under 6k

Edited by Steam

• 4 months later...