JVC X9000 HDR too dark

Hi Guys,

My JVC automatically defaults to Gamma D whenever HDR is displayed which then ends up being way too dark. I have tried changing to another gamma setting which is lighter but it goes back to Gamma D again by default. Doesnt it remember which Gamma settings i want to use or is it that I need to setup Gamma D and just affect the other settings in it to make it brighter? When its in 4K and 2K its fine, its only for HDR. The other thing (probably cant change this) is it takes a while for image to get displayed everytime it switches from HDR back to the standard 4K display for instance if i am on a xbox 1 and i presume its the same for any source. And its just to do with the settings / other changes being applied by the projector for going from HDR to non-HDR. 

I noticed some people mention firmware updates, Mine has U82 i believe. or was it U83. Is that the latest?

Edited by lonewolf

I had a X5000 some years ago and had the same issue.

it would automatically swap to Gamma D. I would always have to manually change to another gamma curve. I ended up setting up a button on my universal remote to change curves quickly without having to go into the menu system.

Pain in the bum. Then again, even with my current projector i have to change from SDR to HDR curves. Though the image doesn't look bad in either of them if i forget, unlike the JVC that is unwatchable in Gamma D

• Like 1

Didnt realise with 4k / HDR projectors will be so problematic, my TV was easy as, I thought 4k / HDr would just work the same with projectors. I guess its also because It was probably a relatively new thing when this projector came out. 

33 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

Didnt realise with 4k / HDR projectors will be so problematic, my TV was easy as, I thought 4k / HDr would just work the same with projectors. I guess its also because It was probably a relatively new thing when this projector came out. 

Yes the new ones do it much better. Even the epson with 14 pre loaded curves looks ok, not perfect as it's not frame by frame mapping like jvc are doing, but better than nothing at all.

• Like 1

On 02/11/2020 at 4:26 PM, lonewolf said:

Hi Guys,

My JVC automatically defaults to Gamma D whenever HDR is displayed which then ends up being way too dark. I have tried changing to another gamma setting which is lighter but it goes back to Gamma D again by default.

The solution is to get your uhd player to do the tone mapping instead [ if you have a basic panasonic player its hd optimiser will sort out brightness levels :) ] and adjust dynamic range on the fly .. You dont need a dolby vision model just a 420 or  cheaper with basic hdr10 as that is what projectors can handle..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

I am using HDR from my xbox I , pc and from Netflix, Stan and prime via nvidia shield tv.

Yes unfortunately a dedicated player is the lowest cost solution to optimise low nit projectors 

Its a shame uhd discs couldnt be properly authored to just either 1000 or 4000 nits B)

• Like 1