Jump to content

Thoughts on budget (*update - now midrange) XLR Cables - Considering Mogami Gold Studio?


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

I am running a Halcro MC20 with one of Chris Daly's passive preamps.

 

I get a lovely full sound running balanced between the 2, but am using a very basic XLR cable.

 

I'm looking for suggestions on an upgrade.

 

Cables need to be minimum 2.5m, 3m would be perfect. In price range $200-500. 

 

I prefer copper to silver in my limited experience.

 

Thanks all,

 

David

 

Edited by mm.pulp
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/c4/c41220cfe4f7c510921d0f7dfa32199ff6b4ac6d7613ce0344335d6e723e5fb6.jpg   Thanks for the shout Ittaku, we always appreciate the support ?.   initforthe

I've used a variety of XLR interconnects in the last 12 months and the differences in performance across them is amazing. Biggest change for me is the increase in detail and dynamics particularly with

14 minutes ago, mm.pulp said:

Hi all,

 

I am running a Halcro MC20 with one of Chris Daly's passive preamps.

 

I get a lovely full sound running balanced between the 2, but am using a very basic XLR cable.

 

I'm looking for suggestions on an upgrade, possibly the Mogami Gold Studio.

 

Thanks all,

 

David

 

Hi David.   I can do gold neutrik gold xlr and Canare or Van Damme quad star for you.  I can also do one of my boutique solid silver cables for that sort of money.  Pm me if your interested 

Edited by Bill125812
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Have been happy with mine, they compare well to much more expensive cables. I won't be considering anything else anywhere near this price range

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


16 hours ago, Bill125812 said:

Pm me if your interested 

Hi Bill, I have your boutique copper cables on the short list already ! Thanks for reaching out. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Have been happy with mine

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence re Mogami, Dan. Will definitely keep it on the list. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/11/2020 at 4:19 PM, mm.pulp said:

Hi all,

 

I am running a Halcro MC20 with one of Chris Daly's passive preamps.

 

I get a lovely full sound running balanced between the 2, but am using a very basic XLR cable.

 

I'm looking for suggestions on an upgrade, possibly the Mogami Gold Studio.

 

Thanks all,

 

David

 

Hi David,

 

I initially was using Canare XLR's. I then tried some Silver Litz. The improvement was Massive! I've also tried some solid Silver Xlr's and they are pretty good too. Unfortunately this Supplier is not active at present. Some Cullen Copper XLR's are I have also a big improvement over Canare. Never used Mogami so can't comment on them.  Have heard the Halcro so think probably worthwhile getting quality XLR's over budget ones.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

<I am running a Halcro MC20 with one of Chris Daly's passive preamps.>
 

Given a passive preamp has enormous clarity and is typically revealing, a good interconnecting cable to a class D poweramp is an interesting challenge. 

And this is where a HiFi shop, independent or someone friendly in your community can hopefully recommend a few to try, or better a demo. Thinking Audience, Wireworld, Nordost, Furutech or an independent etc, whatever suits your wallet. 

 

Be aware that rarely a $100 cable is of proper HiFi design and performance. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


19 hours ago, initforthemusic said:

Have heard the Halcro so think probably worthwhile getting quality XLR's over budget ones.

 

14 hours ago, Anthony1 said:

Be aware that rarely a $100 cable is of proper HiFi design and performance. 

Hi gents, thanks for the comments and suggestions. This was very much my thinking, but I was interested to see if someone would come out of the woodwork with a great matching budget cable, one can only dream ! 

I'll be increasing my budget and checking out some reviews of midrange cables. Thanks again for the suggestions :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, initforthemusic said:

What have you compared them too?

Nothing. Just that they're lightyears better constructed than standard "very basic XLRs" as described in the opening post. Being locally made is a plus too.

Link to post
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

Nothing. Just that they're lightyears better constructed than standard "very basic XLRs" as described in the opening post. Being locally made is a plus too.

How can you recommend something you've never heard?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

How can you recommend something you've never heard?

On construction alone for someone looking for a budget cable?

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

On construction alone for someone looking for a budget cable?

Maybe well constructed (appears you're just going by the website), but do they transfer a signal well? For me it's all about sound quality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mm.pulp said:

 

Hi gents, thanks for the comments and suggestions. This was very much my thinking, but I was interested to see if someone would come out of the woodwork with a great matching budget cable, one can only dream ! 

I'll be increasing my budget and checking out some reviews of midrange cables. Thanks again for the suggestions :) 

That is a very wise decision. Sadly the supplier of the best Cables I've had experience with has closed up (Covid effect?). There is also the issue of synergy. Hopefully you can get some "loaners" or some Cables with a return policy if not suitable.  The Silver Litz from Aurealis is very good and comes very close, but had heard Geoff had issues getting this, and maybe slightly over budget. The Cullen Copper XLR's from the States are very good for the money and would be in your Budget range, and have matched well with Components I've tried them on. Big step up over Canare for not silly  $$$.

 

Good Luck.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


Another option to consider is the Copper Litz XLR produced by Aurealis Audio; brilliant construction and sonic performance. Geoff can arrange a loaner pair to demo what you are paying for.  Great bang for your buck!

Cheers

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Don't forget these locally made bargains.

Hi Con, I haven't come across NB Cables before, so thanks for the suggestion. Considering some of the other advice, I think I will be increasing my budget beyond entry level upgrades like NB. I'll revise my original post now to include a price range and required length. Thanks again for reaching out.

 

2 hours ago, initforthemusic said:

The Cullen Copper XLR's from the States are very good for the money and would be in your Budget range, and have matched well with Components I've tried them on.

Hi Init, thanks for the link to Cullen range. Looks like Mick (075Congo) seconds your suggestion so I'll have a good look at them. It is a little more than I was hoping to spend but might be worth trying to get my hands on a set to try them out.

 

58 minutes ago, 075Congo said:

Another option to consider is the Copper Litz XLR produced by Aurealis Audio

Thanks Mick, looks like Cullens cables have some fans! I'll explore them as an option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • mm.pulp changed the title to Thoughts on budget (*update - now midrange) XLR Cables - Considering Mogami Gold Studio?

I've used a variety of XLR interconnects in the last 12 months and the differences in performance across them is amazing. Biggest change for me is the increase in detail and dynamics particularly with the inclusion of silver in the wire used. Interesting aspect of our hobby/addiction!

Cheers

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, initforthemusic said:

Maybe well constructed (appears you're just going by the website), but do they transfer a signal well? For me it's all about sound quality.

Yes, the NB cables I've bought so far transfer a signal perfectly fine. Feel free to define what they might not transfer.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

You havn't compared them to anything else though?

You seem really intent on dissing these interconnects. I've only compared the RCA variants to interconnects that cost 10 and 100x their cost. Would it be fair to pass judgement on such a comparison? Suffice to say they were embarrassingly good for their price by comparison.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Nothing. Just that they're lightyears better constructed than standard "very basic XLRs" as described in the opening post. Being locally made is a plus too.

But you said you'd compared them to nothing. Now you're saying you've compared them to Interconnects costing 10 and 100 times.  Strange. You appear a very confused person.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

You seem really intent on dissing these interconnects. I've only compared the RCA variants to interconnects that cost 10 and 100x their cost. Would it be fair to pass judgement on such a comparison? Suffice to say they were embarrassingly good for their price by comparison.

Not dissing the interconnects at all. I was asking as I was interested in purchasing some.  How in hell did you come up with that reasoning?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

But you said you'd compared them to nothing. Now you're saying you've compared them to Interconnects costing 10 and 100 times.  Strange. You appear a very confused person.

You are very aggressive in your questioning suggesting you have an issue with recommendations on solid technology alone. Read my comment and you'll see I mentioned comparing RCA only. Stop being so confrontational. It's really unhelpful. Not sure what you're trying to prove. We're talking about $60 interconnects here. It's not like I'm trying to push someone into buying $60,000 interconnects.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

You are very aggressive in your questioning suggesting you have an issue with recommendations on solid technology alone. Read my comment and you'll see I mentioned comparing RCA only. Stop being so confrontational. It's really unhelpful. Not sure what you're trying to prove.

Well I'm trying to help the OP.  I'm positive he wants an Interconnect that transfers a Signal well, not just something that just may only be well made. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

Well I'm trying to help the OP.  I'm positive he wants an Interconnect that transfers a Signal well, not just something that just may only be well made. 

I'm quite sure something that uses quality cable, insulation, and connectors will transfer a signal so well you couldn't measure any difference between that and a $60,000 cable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ittaku said:

I'm quite sure something that uses quality cable, insulation, and connectors will transfer a signal so well you couldn't measure any difference between that and a $60,000 cable.

But I  sure can HEAR a difference. Do you seriously only rely on measurements?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

But I  sure can HEAR a difference. Do you seriously only rely on measurements?

Absolutely freaking not. Otherwise I'd be using $60 interconnects in my system too. However, the opening poster was asking for a step up from cheap commodity XLR cables. The difference between $10 and $60 XLR cables is truly humongous in quality and measurements and I'm willing to bet my left gonad sound as well. What I see is  a poster asking for an affordable alternative to cheap cables and people trying their hardest to convince them they need to spend a lot more than they budgeted. That's why I'm so insistent on saying there are options that are guaranteed to be a significant upgrade. If you have a $200k system like me, sure the $60 cable is not going to do your system justice, but I'm very conscious of tempering my recommendations according to what people are asking for.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Absolutely freaking not. Otherwise I'd be using $60 interconnects in my system too. However, the opening poster was asking for a step up from cheap commodity XLR cables. The difference between $10 and $60 XLR cables is truly humongous in quality and measurements and I'm willing to bet my left gonad sound as well. What I see is  a poster asking for an affordable alternative to cheap cables and people trying their hardest to convince them they need to spend a lot more than they budgeted. That's why I'm so insistent on saying there are options that are guaranteed to be a significant upgrade. If you have a $200k system like me, sure the $60 cable is not going to do your system justice, but I'm very conscious of tempering my recommendations according to what people are asking for.

So did you actually compare the NB Cables or not? At first you said to nothing and then you said to Cables costing 10 X, and 100 x?  What is it and if you actually did if they compare to 100 X cost Cables that's what i'd be using as no point spending $6,000 on Cables when you can get Comparable Cables for $60. So what are the names of the high cost Cables they compared too? Genuinely interested as I have 6 High quality Set-ups and if I can save on Cables that will be fantastic!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

So did you actually compare the NB Cables or not? At first you said to nothing and then you said to Cables costing 10 X, and 100 x?  What is it and if you actually did if they compare to 100 X cost Cables that's what i'd be using as no point spending $6,000 on Cables when you can get Comparable Cables for $60. So what are the names of the high cost Cables they compared too? Genuinely interested as I have 6 High quality Set-ups and if I can save on Cables that will be fantastic!

I said I compared the RCA cables only, which I do own. My recommendation for the XLRs is based on that.

Edited by Ittaku
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mm.pulp said:

 

Hi gents, thanks for the comments and suggestions. This was very much my thinking, but I was interested to see if someone would come out of the woodwork with a great matching budget cable, one can only dream ! 

I'll be increasing my budget and checking out some reviews of midrange cables. Thanks again for the suggestions :) 

Not a bad idea. Some other great suggestions above by the looks. 

 

I would still say try the Mogami. They are cheap and easily sold if you don't like them. 

 

I should have added earlier they compare very well to my much more expensive Chord, Van Den Hul and even Nordost cables though a little behind each. 

 

I also compared these directly on my Halcro MC50 so pretty similar to your amp. 

 

Best of luck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/c4/c41220cfe4f7c510921d0f7dfa32199ff6b4ac6d7613ce0344335d6e723e5fb6.jpg

 

Thanks for the shout Ittaku, we always appreciate the support ?.

 

initforthemusic, it's impossible to vouch for subjective qualities in a cable but if it helps, we've sold hundreds of interconnects and continually get good feedback. We've had them compared to cables $1,500+ cables. We're not here to make bold claims or ridiculous promises. You may like our cables, you may not. Like all companies, we chuck our hat in the ring as another option. We feel our point of difference is that all our cables are custom made to order and only use Australian Made wire. We're not aware of any other company that offers that. 

 

Happy to answer any other questions you have. In the meantime, happy listening!

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mm.pulp said:

Hi Con, I haven't come across NB Cables before, so thanks for the suggestion. Considering some of the other advice, I think I will be increasing my budget beyond entry level upgrades like NB. I'll revise my original post now to include a price range and required length. Thanks again for reaching out.

 

Hi Init, thanks for the link to Cullen range. Looks like Mick (075Congo) seconds your suggestion so I'll have a good look at them. It is a little more than I was hoping to spend but might be worth trying to get my hands on a set to try them out.

 

Thanks Mick, looks like Cullens cables have some fans! I'll explore them as an option.

Umm...no, 075Congo suggested Aurealis Litz not any Cullen cable.

 

Although the Aurealis Litz may be out of your budget.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Always great to see such passionate debate and thoughts.  But no need for any nastiness 

 

Cables are a very personnel thing. Solid silver, solid copper, Litz , stranded, combinations , $2. $20000. what sounds best, who knows.   I know what I like. And that’s what I make.   
 

Only way is to try for  yourself.   Not listen to others as your only comparison 

 

SNA is a great theatre to air thoughts.   But sometimes it really worries me how some can’t open their minds.  And tend to get nasty 

 

Just share thoughts. Don’t share hostility 

 

Rant ended again 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, muon* said:

Who was being nasty? :wacko:

If not nasty. Then getting quite heated and somewhat childish  if you read above 

 

But you said you'd compared them to nothing. Now you're saying you've compared them to Interconnects costing 10 and 100 times.  Strange. You appear a very confused person.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...