Thoughts on budget (*update - now midrange) XLR Cables - Considering Mogami Gold Studio?

7 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Nothing. Just that they're lightyears better constructed than standard "very basic XLRs" as described in the opening post. Being locally made is a plus too.

But you said you'd compared them to nothing. Now you're saying you've compared them to Interconnects costing 10 and 100 times.  Strange. You appear a very confused person.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

You seem really intent on dissing these interconnects. I've only compared the RCA variants to interconnects that cost 10 and 100x their cost. Would it be fair to pass judgement on such a comparison? Suffice to say they were embarrassingly good for their price by comparison.

Not dissing the interconnects at all. I was asking as I was interested in purchasing some.  How in hell did you come up with that reasoning?

19 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

But you said you'd compared them to nothing. Now you're saying you've compared them to Interconnects costing 10 and 100 times.  Strange. You appear a very confused person.

You are very aggressive in your questioning suggesting you have an issue with recommendations on solid technology alone. Read my comment and you'll see I mentioned comparing RCA only. Stop being so confrontational. It's really unhelpful. Not sure what you're trying to prove. We're talking about $60 interconnects here. It's not like I'm trying to push someone into buying $60,000 interconnects.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

You are very aggressive in your questioning suggesting you have an issue with recommendations on solid technology alone. Read my comment and you'll see I mentioned comparing RCA only. Stop being so confrontational. It's really unhelpful. Not sure what you're trying to prove.

Well I'm trying to help the OP.  I'm positive he wants an Interconnect that transfers a Signal well, not just something that just may only be well made. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

Well I'm trying to help the OP.  I'm positive he wants an Interconnect that transfers a Signal well, not just something that just may only be well made. 

I'm quite sure something that uses quality cable, insulation, and connectors will transfer a signal so well you couldn't measure any difference between that and a $60,000 cable.

Just now, Ittaku said:

I'm quite sure something that uses quality cable, insulation, and connectors will transfer a signal so well you couldn't measure any difference between that and a $60,000 cable.

But I  sure can HEAR a difference. Do you seriously only rely on measurements?

10 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

But I  sure can HEAR a difference. Do you seriously only rely on measurements?

Absolutely freaking not. Otherwise I'd be using $60 interconnects in my system too. However, the opening poster was asking for a step up from cheap commodity XLR cables. The difference between $10 and $60 XLR cables is truly humongous in quality and measurements and I'm willing to bet my left gonad sound as well. What I see is  a poster asking for an affordable alternative to cheap cables and people trying their hardest to convince them they need to spend a lot more than they budgeted. That's why I'm so insistent on saying there are options that are guaranteed to be a significant upgrade. If you have a $200k system like me, sure the $60 cable is not going to do your system justice, but I'm very conscious of tempering my recommendations according to what people are asking for.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Absolutely freaking not. Otherwise I'd be using $60 interconnects in my system too. However, the opening poster was asking for a step up from cheap commodity XLR cables. The difference between $10 and $60 XLR cables is truly humongous in quality and measurements and I'm willing to bet my left gonad sound as well. What I see is  a poster asking for an affordable alternative to cheap cables and people trying their hardest to convince them they need to spend a lot more than they budgeted. That's why I'm so insistent on saying there are options that are guaranteed to be a significant upgrade. If you have a $200k system like me, sure the $60 cable is not going to do your system justice, but I'm very conscious of tempering my recommendations according to what people are asking for.

So did you actually compare the NB Cables or not? At first you said to nothing and then you said to Cables costing 10 X, and 100 x?  What is it and if you actually did if they compare to 100 X cost Cables that's what i'd be using as no point spending $6,000 on Cables when you can get Comparable Cables for $60. So what are the names of the high cost Cables they compared too? Genuinely interested as I have 6 High quality Set-ups and if I can save on Cables that will be fantastic!

11 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

So did you actually compare the NB Cables or not? At first you said to nothing and then you said to Cables costing 10 X, and 100 x?  What is it and if you actually did if they compare to 100 X cost Cables that's what i'd be using as no point spending $6,000 on Cables when you can get Comparable Cables for $60. So what are the names of the high cost Cables they compared too? Genuinely interested as I have 6 High quality Set-ups and if I can save on Cables that will be fantastic!

I said I compared the RCA cables only, which I do own. My recommendation for the XLRs is based on that.

Edited by Ittaku

11 hours ago, mm.pulp said:

Hi gents, thanks for the comments and suggestions. This was very much my thinking, but I was interested to see if someone would come out of the woodwork with a great matching budget cable, one can only dream ! 

I'll be increasing my budget and checking out some reviews of midrange cables. Thanks again for the suggestions :) 

Not a bad idea. Some other great suggestions above by the looks. 

I would still say try the Mogami. They are cheap and easily sold if you don't like them. 

I should have added earlier they compare very well to my much more expensive Chord, Van Den Hul and even Nordost cables though a little behind each. 

I also compared these directly on my Halcro MC50 so pretty similar to your amp. 

Best of luck. 

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/c4/c41220cfe4f7c510921d0f7dfa32199ff6b4ac6d7613ce0344335d6e723e5fb6.jpg

Thanks for the shout Ittaku, we always appreciate the support ?.

initforthemusic, it's impossible to vouch for subjective qualities in a cable but if it helps, we've sold hundreds of interconnects and continually get good feedback. We've had them compared to cables $1,500+ cables. We're not here to make bold claims or ridiculous promises. You may like our cables, you may not. Like all companies, we chuck our hat in the ring as another option. We feel our point of difference is that all our cables are custom made to order and only use Australian Made wire. We're not aware of any other company that offers that. 

Happy to answer any other questions you have. In the meantime, happy listening!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, mm.pulp said:

Hi Con, I haven't come across NB Cables before, so thanks for the suggestion. Considering some of the other advice, I think I will be increasing my budget beyond entry level upgrades like NB. I'll revise my original post now to include a price range and required length. Thanks again for reaching out.

Hi Init, thanks for the link to Cullen range. Looks like Mick (075Congo) seconds your suggestion so I'll have a good look at them. It is a little more than I was hoping to spend but might be worth trying to get my hands on a set to try them out.

Thanks Mick, looks like Cullens cables have some fans! I'll explore them as an option.

Umm...no, 075Congo suggested Aurealis Litz not any Cullen cable.

Although the Aurealis Litz may be out of your budget.

Always great to see such passionate debate and thoughts.  But no need for any nastiness 

Cables are a very personnel thing. Solid silver, solid copper, Litz , stranded, combinations , $2. $20000. what sounds best, who knows.   I know what I like. And that’s what I make.   

Only way is to try for  yourself.   Not listen to others as your only comparison 

SNA is a great theatre to air thoughts.   But sometimes it really worries me how some can’t open their minds.  And tend to get nasty 

Just share thoughts. Don’t share hostility 

Rant ended again 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, muon* said:

Who was being nasty? :wacko:

If not nasty. Then getting quite heated and somewhat childish  if you read above 

But you said you'd compared them to nothing. Now you're saying you've compared them to Interconnects costing 10 and 100 times.  Strange. You appear a very confused person.

• Like 1

Thank you admin for dealing with it, It was becoming heated and unnecessary, all the OP wanted to know was recommendations of XLR cables, unfortunately people were stuck on their high horses. 

Thank you Bill for providing an avenue to experience your cables at a reasonable cost. 

• Like 1