Thoughts on budget (*update - now midrange) XLR Cables - Considering Mogami Gold Studio?

Hi all,

I am running a Halcro MC20 with one of Chris Daly's passive preamps.

I get a lovely full sound running balanced between the 2, but am using a very basic XLR cable.

I'm looking for suggestions on an upgrade.

Cables need to be minimum 2.5m, 3m would be perfect. In price range $200-500. 

I prefer copper to silver in my limited experience.

Thanks all,

David

Edited by mm.pulp

14 minutes ago, mm.pulp said:

Hi all,

I get a lovely full sound running balanced between the 2, but am using a very basic XLR cable.

I'm looking for suggestions on an upgrade, possibly the Mogami Gold Studio.

Thanks all,

David

Hi David.   I can do gold neutrik gold xlr and Canare or Van Damme quad star for you.  I can also do one of my boutique solid silver cables for that sort of money.  Pm me if your interested 

Edited by Bill125812
  • Like 2

On 02/11/2020 at 4:19 PM, mm.pulp said:

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions on an upgrade, possibly the Mogami Gold Studio.

Thanks all,

David

Hi David,

I initially was using Canare XLR's. I then tried some Silver Litz. The improvement was Massive! I've also tried some solid Silver Xlr's and they are pretty good too. Unfortunately this Supplier is not active at present. Some Cullen Copper XLR's are I have also a big improvement over Canare. Never used Mogami so can't comment on them.  Have heard the Halcro so think probably worthwhile getting quality XLR's over budget ones.

• Like 1

<I am running a Halcro MC20 with one of Chris Daly's passive preamps.>

Given a passive preamp has enormous clarity and is typically revealing, a good interconnecting cable to a class D poweramp is an interesting challenge. 

And this is where a HiFi shop, independent or someone friendly in your community can hopefully recommend a few to try, or better a demo. Thinking Audience, Wireworld, Nordost, Furutech or an independent etc, whatever suits your wallet. 

Be aware that rarely a $100 cable is of proper HiFi design and performance. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, initforthemusic said:

Have heard the Halcro so think probably worthwhile getting quality XLR's over budget ones.

14 hours ago, Anthony1 said:

Be aware that rarely a $100 cable is of proper HiFi design and performance. 

Hi gents, thanks for the comments and suggestions. This was very much my thinking, but I was interested to see if someone would come out of the woodwork with a great matching budget cable, one can only dream ! 

I'll be increasing my budget and checking out some reviews of midrange cables. Thanks again for the suggestions :) 

1 minute ago, initforthemusic said:

What have you compared them too?

Nothing. Just that they're lightyears better constructed than standard "very basic XLRs" as described in the opening post. Being locally made is a plus too.

4 hours ago, mm.pulp said:

Hi gents, thanks for the comments and suggestions. This was very much my thinking, but I was interested to see if someone would come out of the woodwork with a great matching budget cable, one can only dream ! 

I'll be increasing my budget and checking out some reviews of midrange cables. Thanks again for the suggestions :) 

That is a very wise decision. Sadly the supplier of the best Cables I've had experience with has closed up (Covid effect?). There is also the issue of synergy. Hopefully you can get some "loaners" or some Cables with a return policy if not suitable.  The Silver Litz from Aurealis is very good and comes very close, but had heard Geoff had issues getting this, and maybe slightly over budget. The Cullen Copper XLR's from the States are very good for the money and would be in your Budget range, and have matched well with Components I've tried them on. Big step up over Canare for not silly  $$$.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

Another option to consider is the Copper Litz XLR produced by Aurealis Audio; brilliant construction and sonic performance. Geoff can arrange a loaner pair to demo what you are paying for.  Great bang for your buck!

Cheers

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Don't forget these locally made bargains.

Hi Con, I haven't come across NB Cables before, so thanks for the suggestion. Considering some of the other advice, I think I will be increasing my budget beyond entry level upgrades like NB. I'll revise my original post now to include a price range and required length. Thanks again for reaching out.

2 hours ago, initforthemusic said:

The Cullen Copper XLR's from the States are very good for the money and would be in your Budget range, and have matched well with Components I've tried them on.

Hi Init, thanks for the link to Cullen range. Looks like Mick (075Congo) seconds your suggestion so I'll have a good look at them. It is a little more than I was hoping to spend but might be worth trying to get my hands on a set to try them out.

58 minutes ago, 075Congo said:

Another option to consider is the Copper Litz XLR produced by Aurealis Audio

Thanks Mick, looks like Cullens cables have some fans! I'll explore them as an option.

I've used a variety of XLR interconnects in the last 12 months and the differences in performance across them is amazing. Biggest change for me is the increase in detail and dynamics particularly with the inclusion of silver in the wire used. Interesting aspect of our hobby/addiction!

Cheers

• Like 3

4 hours ago, initforthemusic said:

Maybe well constructed (appears you're just going by the website), but do they transfer a signal well? For me it's all about sound quality.

Yes, the NB cables I've bought so far transfer a signal perfectly fine. Feel free to define what they might not transfer.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

You havn't compared them to anything else though?

You seem really intent on dissing these interconnects. I've only compared the RCA variants to interconnects that cost 10 and 100x their cost. Would it be fair to pass judgement on such a comparison? Suffice to say they were embarrassingly good for their price by comparison.