Afternoon, 

Due to some sad circumstances my much better half has inherited her father's vintage Pioneer hifi system. 

From what she had told me he got it for his 21st birthday so that puts it at around 48 years old. 

I got a quick look at it a couple of days ago and apart from the door missing off the tape deck it all looks in reasonable condition. 

I'm told it's all in working order including the tape deck and he still used it fairly regularly. 

The system consists of a turntable, amplifier, receiver and tape deck plus a 90's model CD player

I'll try to get some picks at some stage and post here as I'd be keen to hear from the vintage guys on their thoughts and how to proceed in possibly finding a replacement door for the tape deck. 

In the meantime, here's a teaser she sent me. 

Thanks

IMG_7301.jpg

Edited by Gambit 1870

Condolences for your family’s loss. It’ll be nice to preserve that piece of audio and family history. Any thoughts about speakers? There are some period Pioneers with Alnico speakers that could be cool. Not super hi-fi but so what! 

Also, if the gear hasn’t been serviced in recent years, it would be worth giving things a check over. For example, a new stylus, cleaning crackly pots, even a recap of the amp.

I can only suggest saving a search on eBay and Gumtree for the CT-F4040 until a door or donor parts machine shows up. A WTB ad in the classifieds might also help.

• Like 1

I've bought parts off this site before
Organ donor parts

Great place to pick up knobs/sliders etc on vintage gear.

edit:  mainly turntables but it's worth giving them an email and seeing what they might have.

Edited by Old Man Rubber
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Ok, so I finally got to have a closer look at the gear(yes, it's been some months since I started this thread) and for the most part it's in reasonable condition for its age. 

Turn table works, although I have noticed that the drive speed seems to vary, even adjusting the speed via the tracking dial has varying results. In some cases I can't get the dots stationary in the visual indicator, I run out of adjustment or it drifts. 

I'm thinking the table may need some loving to sort that out.the up side is the auto return function works fine. 

Any recommendations on turntable repair guys in Brisbane? 

Amplifier seems fine, LED power indicator dead and the volume pot is noisy, but other than that nothing dramatic. 

Tape deck as stated needs some work, not sure about restoring that as I no longer have any cassettes...... 

Here are some picks... 

20210131_164556.jpg

20210131_164756.jpg

20210131_164807.jpg

20210131_164802.jpg

20210131_164756.jpg

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Gambit 1870 said:

Ok, so I finally got to have a closer look at the gear(yes, it's been some months since I started this thread) and for the most part it's in reasonable condition for its age. 

Turn table works, although I have noticed that the drive speed seems to vary, even adjusting the speed via the tracking dial has varying results. In some cases I can't get the dots stationary in the visual indicator, I run out of adjustment or it drifts. 

I'm thinking the table may need some loving to sort that out.the up side is the auto return function works fine. 

Any recommendations on turntable repair guys in Brisbane? 

Amplifier seems fine, LED power indicator dead and the volume pot is noisy, but other than that nothing dramatic. 

Tape deck as stated needs some work, not sure about restoring that as I no longer have any cassettes...... 

Here are some picks... 

20210131_164556.jpg

20210131_164756.jpg

20210131_164807.jpg

20210131_164802.jpg

20210131_164756.jpg

Gee, this is nostalgic, my sister had the same t/table, which i have now, still works. Must get it out from storage in the shed someday (boxed up in my rega carton). Sister purchased with a 20w amp and tape deck (with vu meters!) and some VERY efficient 3 way speakers. 

Geez, it could go loud !

The amp was the very first introduction to "Hifi". To me as a 9-10 year old, remember picking it up with my older brother from "Home Electronics" in Ararat.

It was accompanied with thieir t/table (had a biggish walnut colour plinth) and some "full range" speakers rated at 18watts!!!

Sorry for going off topic, but this was a huge event from going from a portable HMV  mono record player to this! He paid $250 for the system back then, think it was 1975.

Ahh, memories.

• Like 1