Which Blu Ray as a Transport ?

Hi All, I currently do not own a disc spinner of any kind, save for the one in my computer, I use a set valve amp, so, which Blu Ray player will be a good choice as a transport ? now, here’s the catch, I do want a display on the front of the unit and I would like to be able to play back music and movie files on the front USB port of the Blu Ray player as well, especially AIFF music files, as that is what I have ripped my cds to and I won’t be changing that situation at all, now, I do have a Aries Mini, I assume that, I can digitally connect the Blu Ray player to it and then connect the rca outs from the Aries Mini to the valve amp, as the valve amp only has rca connections ? as there is no way that a Blu Ray player can connect to the amp otherwise, my budget for the Blu Ray player would be around $300, secondhand preferred to maximise the budget. Thanks 

You can't buy new Oppo's anymore, so there's no point recommending them IMO.

I think most brands work well, it's just what features you want, for example whether you want a front panel display or not, that you have to decide on. Also some brands are easier to make region free than others.

I'll second Oppo, in particular, their industrial model: 101 Ci.

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2015/12/oppo-bdt-101ci-review.html
If that's not possible, the X800 or 1100ES is a decent transport too.

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/06/sony-ubp-x1100es-region-free-player.html

Finally if you chance upon an old Toshiba XE2 HD DVD player, that's very good too.

And for an even older one, the Rotel RCD 991 is a true beauty. If it's cheap and solid, grab it with both hands..

20 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

I did read the same thing some time ago, was that a software issue that has been corrected ?

Reports I saw suggest it's a combination of limited buffer memory / laser alignment / weak lasers.

8 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

Really ? That’s not good, although some  owners seem to not have that particular issue, maybe some are just unlucky ?

Yes, apparently no issues if you get one with a good laser that's properly aligned.

2 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

So, once done, it’s good enough to use as a transport ? What about a Sony bdp S580 ?

There's plenty of reports that Sony's service repeatedly "find no problem" when X700s are sent in for the freezing issue.

I haven't heard of any issues with the S580.