JL f113 subwoofer behind AT screen

Hi guys,

Hoping to get your opinions on subwoofer placement for a JL f113 behind an AT screen.

I have a 5x6m room adjacent to a 5x2m room. The divider between the two rooms will be the projector screen wall. 

I have 3 in-wall speakers for LCR.

I’ve read mixed opinions on sub placement (in room, bottom of screen, behind the screen) but suppose I want to go behind the screen, how would you construct it?

I understand the sub may sound better in different positions and placements but if forced to go behind the screen, what’s optimal?

I can create an elevated niche for the sub - with the rear of the niche protruding into the adjacent room.

Or I can build a false wall and move the LCR speakers to a new baffle wall and have the sub within the new false wall - not ideal as the f113 is so deep and I would lose room space.

In either case would you enclose the sub in a small cavity (closed in all 5 sides) with minimal gap? Or is there a minimum gap around the sub that is preferable. Or makes no difference?

How far behind the AT screen should the sub be to avoid moving the screen?

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

So is it really a 5x8m room with a screen wall 2m in? Is the screen wall acoustically transparent?  I have a similar setup only smaller. I have a 4.5x6 room with screen wall 1.5 in. I have put the subs behind the screen, one to hide them and two because that's where they measured the best. I wouldn't build anything to put it in,  just put it against the back wall behind the screen for some boundary gain. During particularly loud scenes my screen can ripple a little but I don't mind. Yours will be further back so shouldn't do that though.

On 31/10/2020 at 9:47 AM, WapakMan1 said:

Hi guys,

Hoping to get your opinions on subwoofer placement for a JL f113 behind an AT screen.

I have a 5x6m room adjacent to a 5x2m room. The divider between the two rooms will be the projector screen wall. 

I have 3 in-wall speakers for LCR.

I’ve read mixed opinions on sub placement (in room, bottom of screen, behind the screen) but suppose I want to go behind the screen, how would you construct it?

I understand the sub may sound better in different positions and placements but if forced to go behind the screen, what’s optimal?

I can create an elevated niche for the sub - with the rear of the niche protruding into the adjacent room.

Or I can build a false wall and move the LCR speakers to a new baffle wall and have the sub within the new false wall - not ideal as the f113 is so deep and I would lose room space.

In either case would you enclose the sub in a small cavity (closed in all 5 sides) with minimal gap? Or is there a minimum gap around the sub that is preferable. Or makes no difference?

How far behind the AT screen should the sub be to avoid moving the screen?

Thanks!

I guess it depends on the 5x2m room. If it's not really being used for anything except storage, then it would make an idea sealed box for your subwoofer (almost infinite baffle). Assuming your ceiling is 2.5 meters, then you're starting with an enclosure of roughly 25,000 litres.