I've had my media room set up for a while but haven't had much time to play with it until lately.

I have found that my HDMI ports with HDCP 2.2 don't allow any 4k video through, so I have to run my media player through the regular HDMI ports.

Am I losing out on anything by doing this?

I've noticed that YouTube will flicker when playing a 4k video through the regular HDMI port, however it won't flicker when playing back at 1080.

Vodafone TV

Yamaha RXV679 receiver

BenQ W2700 projector

Selby High Speed HEC cables (and one unknown '4k' cable in the wall)

Any help is appreciated!

2 hours ago, Fro-Daddy said:

and one unknown '4k' cable in the wall

That could be the problem, try a know cable outside the wall between devices to see if it is the issue.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, exitguy said:

That could be the problem, try a know cable outside the wall between devices to see if it is the issue.

Agree, this one sounds like a HDMI cable issue. For runs over 7m you're safer using a fibre-optic 18Gps cable, not copper. Also, do not use any wall plate joiners - these almost guarantee failure.

• Like 1

If the cable in the wall/ceiling is the issue then I can't fix it because I'm downstairs in a double storey house with a lot of insulation in the floor system.

That's annoying...

If I can get my hands on another cable that will run the distance, I'll give it a go anyway.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Fro-Daddy said:

If the cable in the wall/ceiling is the issue then I can't fix it because I'm downstairs in a double storey house with a lot of insulation in the floor system.

That's annoying...

If I can get my hands on another cable that will run the distance, I'll give it a go anyway.

Thanks.

A good sparkie/cabler will be able to get one through, but might need to remove skirting boards and (if there's no gap between the plaster and the floor) use a router to slot the back and make a few plaster cutouts. Before buying a replacement cable, speak with a sparkie - you may need some extra length to install by an indirect route.

the 10m comsol cable from office works at $70 is known by many on here to work perfectly with 4k.  i use it myself

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-10m-cohdmi100

they also have a money back guarantee if it is unsuitable.  You don't need to spend a fortune on a fibre optic cable.