Hello brain trust,

Seeking recommendation to replace my VDH CS 122 speaker cable with something better. Aim is to smoothen the top end a little bit and bring out the vocals.

I have Dac 100/ Evo 300 Pre/ Evo 300 Power (all of them PrimaLuna) - speakers: GoldenEar Triton Ref in my setup. Source is mostly FLAC/Tidal served via MacMini + HQPlayer via USB into DAC

Been eying Nordost red dawn, as that is in my price range - any rocking these cables? 

Cheers,

Try Bill's boutique cables. truly superb and better than many cables 3-4 times the price. He is an SNA commercial sponsor and a true gentleman.

Also, please consider Aurealis Litz cables. These are my lifetime reference cables and like Bill's they are usually better than cables many, many times their asking price.

BIll also has a new range topping cable called the Pinnacle range, which promises to be even better again.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 4

Considering your speakers, I’d go to the Heimdall 2’s. I liked the red dawn’s but felt the jump to the next level worth it. 

Consider upgrading your power cord first. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, akshaya835 said:

Getting some good word of praise for foilflex cables in another forum...hmm.

They are very good,  currently using in my system.

Before I was using Transparent Musicwave plus which were a tad better than Nordost Heimdall 2 that I trialled.

Still have the Transparent cables if you're interested, lot less than Foilflex but very close performance wise. 

• Like 1

Have tried foiflex, aurealis litz but not Bills (as I am waiting for a demo to become available which judging by how busy  Bill is, is not likely any time soon)   but between these three against the red dawn , my money would be on at least one if not all of the Aussie cables outclassing the Nordost.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, frednork said:

Have tried foiflex, aurealis litz but not Bills (as I am waiting for a demo to become available which judging by how busy  Bill is, is not likely any time soon)   but between these three against the red dawn , my money would be on at least one if not all of the Aussie cables outclassing the Nordost.

I will have loan boutique and pinnacle  cables  available within 2 weeks. 😁

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bill125812 said:

I will have loan boutique and pinnacle  cables  available within 2 weeks. 😁

All good Bill,  makes more sense to make sure you service real paying customers with the limited time you have rather than catering to commitmentphobes like me. 

3 minutes ago, frednork said:

All good Bill,  makes more sense to make sure you service real paying customers with the limited time you have rather than catering to commitmentphobes like me. 

All good. I think it’s important that people can trial cables like these at Fairly significant  costs.   I have always offered  no question asked refunds.  But I understand that people like to. Trial before buy.  I have had a boutique trial cable out already.  Due back soon. Pinnacle    will be ready soon

• Like 6

17 hours ago, chirockr said:

Considering your speakers, I’d go to the Heimdall 2’s. I liked the red dawn’s but felt the jump to the next level worth it. 

Consider upgrading your power cord first. 

Thanks, Currently using VooDoo power cables.

18 hours ago, deanB said:

What type of power valve are you using in the PL power amp, @akshaya835? And are you still using the stock 12AU7 in the pre and power?

yeah pretty much everything is stock atm but planning to swap 12ax7 with Mullard NOS (vintage) in PRE. Might not swap el34s as i've heard they are best musically and more power is not needed in my system so not interested in those KT, but who knows i may get bored and some point and start rolling them as well haha

22 minutes ago, akshaya835 said:

yeah pretty much everything is stock atm but planning to swap 12ax7 with Mullard NOS (vintage) in PRE. Might not swap el34s as i've heard they are best musically and more power is not needed in my system so not interested in those KT, but who knows i may get bored and some point and start rolling them as well haha

You may find that replacing new production with nos will bring the improvements you're seeking.

I've found cable swapping to be a hit and miss affair, whereas getting rid of Chinese valves for nos has always been an obvious improvement.

I was using the VdH 122 before I went to active speakers, it's a good cable to use with valve amps ime. 

• Like 1

I am currently using the Aurealis Audio LITZ 303 speaker cables plus a matching pair of LITZ 303 Jumper cables. Excellent build quality , excellent performance and very good value for money. Previous cables were Lenehan FoilFlex , Nordost TYR 2 and I am more than happy with the LITZ 303.

Cheers

• Like 1

Restarting my interest in Hi Fi recently ,Ive refreshed my system with  Rogue Audio Magum 3 , NAD 5420 and an old pair of AR93's, using Monster cable. Ive not been overly convinced on speaker cable value to the sound but ventured into purchasing a set of 3 metre Canare 4S11 Quad pair with Nakamici banana ends (bought them as made up assemblies). 

I was absolutely blown away with the change in sound quality.  Fresh, detailed but not aggressive , FULL soundstage and certainly not fatiguing. Heard instruments I had not heard before. I sat and listened for hours to classical, Jazz and vocals. 

Not big $ but Im so pleased, particularly considering the level of CD player and speakers that I have not upgraded yet. 

Msg me if you need too , I have the contact of the guy that put these together. Good luck.

• Like 2