Technics SL 10

G'day folks,

Some of you may have seen my recent post re: moving on to a better TT than my Pioneer PL15 R.

I read info about the Technics SL 10, and am intrigued by it. I remember when it first appeared.

I can source one, but before taking the plunge, wanted to asked my " learned friends " their opinions.

Cheers,

Dennis

I’m an SL-10 owner and love mine, it’s a beautiful sounding deck and the aesthetics are outstanding. I also love that the compact dimensions mean I can fit it into a small area in my shelf unit. 

if it has the original EPC-310MC cart in decent nick then even better. 

If you have a lot of transparent vinyl you’ll need a special paper sheet to block the light sensors in the platter.

There are some reports of a servo movement translating as a knocking sound while listening but I’ve never experienced this. 

I would check that the clasps that hold the cover closed are intact (and if you buy it use the side buttons to close as well as open the unit). 

I haven’t had to have mine serviced and the build quality is insanely good - but if one day I need to I would expect it to be a bit of a search to find a qualified tech. Having said that I also have an SL-5 which looks like a battered old prop from Star Wars and it’s still powering along.

Being a lineal with a relatively short arm, they can be susceptible to groove distortion on records with off centre pressings and huge changes is stylus rake angle if the record has warps. This is not indicative of the SL 10 alone, but all short arm linears. The SL 10 has a common fault regarding the operation of the arm on the slide rail, mainly caused by poor servicing. If there is too much drag on the rail, the servo motor will simply raise the arm and send it back to the rest position. The remedy is quite simple and can be carried out by anyone with basic hand tools. Other than the above, with good vinyl and cartridge, this is an outstanding performer. If you are ever having problems with the arm operation, PM me and I'll point you in the right direction to sort it out at zero cost.