Does anyone else find when you do the Amps auto speaker tuning, it always sets the Sub really low.  Example it sets mine to -12db , and I've found afterwords I've had to crank it back up to as high as +2 to 4db.

10 hours ago, La La Scala said:

Does anyone else find when you do the Amps auto speaker tuning, it always sets the Sub really low.  Example it sets mine to -12db , and I've found afterwords I've had to crank it back up to as high as +2 to 4db.

Never used the inbuilt stuff in an AVR - dB meter at MLP, set all speakers & sub level to 75 - Works a treat

If you change stuff around in the room or add extra furniture pays to redo the calibration.

Edited by exitguy
2 hours ago, La La Scala said:

I've found that Audyssey often sets my subs about 3dB lower than my preference, but never had to goose it that much. What AVR are you using? How many sweeps did you do? (more usually means greater accuracy) Did you have some extraneous noise when you ran it? (this can stuff it up completely)

• Like 1

Maybe sub was set too high to begin with for it to set -12. 

Believe most setups has sub lower than what the majority like.

Agreed with others, needing to add  +16dB means something is likely up (IMHO anyway)

Most auto room correction systems aim to set the subs and speakers to 75dB (ie. flat ) - unfortunately most of us listen well below THX reference level,  at lower volumes our ears are much less sensitive to bass frequencies, so "flat" can sound a bit anaemic.  Audyssey has "Dynamic EQ " to help solve this. If you don't have something like that, most  people seem to prefer adding around 3-6dB to their subs. Adding 15dB+ is not unheard of, but it's at the extreme end - even for bassheads

2 hours ago, exitguy said:

Never used the inbuilt stuff in an AVR - dB meter at MPL, set all speakers & sub level to 75 - Works a treat

I mentioned this method in another audio forum, then the 'Audyessy Sound Police force' arrived and threw me out of da room...:frantics:

5 hours ago, exitguy said:

Never used the inbuilt stuff in an AVR - dB meter at MPL, set all speakers & sub level to 75 - Works a treat

If you change stuff around in the room or add extra furniture pays to redo the calibration.

Hi @exitguy .. Sorry to sound a bit like a noob, but not sure what MPL is?  And what do you mean by set the level to 75?

Edited by La La Scala

4 hours ago, jamiebosco said:

Agreed with others, needing to add  +16dB means something is likely up (IMHO anyway)

Most auto room correction systems aim to set the subs and speakers to 75dB (ie. flat ) - unfortunately most of us listen well below THX reference level,  at lower volumes our ears are much less sensitive to bass frequencies, so "flat" can sound a bit anaemic.  Audyssey has "Dynamic EQ " to help solve this. If you don't have something like that, most  people seem to prefer adding around 3-6dB to their subs. Adding 15dB+ is not unheard of, but it's at the extreme end - even for bassheads

Hi @jamiebosco .. Just for more clarity I have the Denon 8500 AVR ( so pretty decent ), and  added below the photo of the Subs I made ( yes 2 of those 18s ), and they are being powered by a 3000 RMS Behringer amp (gain set half way when tuning with Audyssey)

Hence why I'm surprised that I need to increase the power on this Sub setup in order to get any action from it :( 

20191105_161507.jpg

yes generally common for the AVR to set the sub too low 

MLP = Main Listening Position (assume MPL is an error)

or in my household the Male Listening Position also known as the BDP (Beer/Bourbon Drinking Position) when reclined 

Edited by hometheatrebugbitten

Did you measure at more than one position ? If no then you may be positioning the mic at a bass peak so Audyssey tries to tame it. Move the sub or mic and rerun it and see if you get the same result. If not then you have a bass peak, if it is the same then there is another issue.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, La La Scala said:

Hi @exitguy .. Sorry to sound a bit like a noob, but not sure what MPL is?  And what do you mean by set the level to 75?

Should be MLP = Main Listening Position

75 is the dB level that you set the speakers and sub too when using the AVR inbuilt test tone together with the Db meter

15 minutes ago, exitguy said:

Should be MLP = Main Listening Position

75 is the dB level that you set the speakers and sub too when using the AVR inbuilt test tone together with the Db meter

@exitguy ...Ahhh,  yes I get what you mean, that actually makes perfect sense... and logical,  where does the theory of 75db come from?

3 hours ago, La La Scala said:

@exitguy ...Ahhh,  yes I get what you mean, that actually makes perfect sense... and logical,  where does the theory of 75db come from?

Loudest tone we can comfortably tolerate