what external amp for subwoofer

looking at what external amplifier to power a old svs 12" subwoofer. originally a 525w BASH amp but that has failed. must be 2nd hand due to budget.

was trying to find a crown XLS-1502, some CDI models around on gumtree. also considering the XTI2002 but readings seem to indicate the XLS is better.

I’ve got an Audio Research DS450m that’s been used for around 200 hours worth a Wilson Audio Watchdog2 if you’re interested.

450 watts @ 8 ohms monoblock.

ED7FAE63-5F9A-4A11-B981-538BB91598F0.jpeg

6B7FDDC4-22F1-4C66-B359-64FA0FE6BBCF.jpeg

6 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

looking at what external amplifier to power a old svs 12" subwoofer. originally a 525w BASH amp but that has failed. must be 2nd hand due to budget.

was trying to find a crown XLS-1502, some CDI models around on gumtree. also considering the XTI2002 but readings seem to indicate the XLS is better.

Are you interested in replacing like for like assuming that SVS could provide a new plate amp?

I believe that many or most plate amps contain DSP that optimises the response and output for the driver.

this is an old svs pc sub. svs no longer make the amp or even the driver (they can make one for me to fit but cost is huge). they have a later model amp that will fit with digital dsp and i can get that sent here. BUT the new amp is "flashed" only to this model sub so cant be re-used should the need arise. just did not count on a failed amp a day after purchase (another story)

so looking at alternatives. parts express sell a 500w BASH plate amp but by the time all things are taken into account it is still not a cheap fix (as said this was not expected so no limited budget)

i could contact BASH direct i guess but from readings something like a CROWN XLS 1502 is the way to go. but they make so many amps it gets confusing and from what i have seen unless 2nd hand i cant afford anyway.

Edited by hopefullguy

I have three Crown XLS 1502's and yeah they're OK.

But I'd never consider one to drive a proprietary sub-woofer and how do you think you you'd hook it up to the driver?

The rear of the box would have to be modified somehow, hey?

7 hours ago, Yamaha_man said:

I’ve got an Audio Research DS450m that’s been used for around 200 hours worth a Wilson Audio Watchdog2 if you’re interested.

450 watts @ 8 ohms monoblock.

ED7FAE63-5F9A-4A11-B981-538BB91598F0.jpeg

6B7FDDC4-22F1-4C66-B359-64FA0FE6BBCF.jpeg

🤑🤑🤑

from some research diy sub makers use things like the crown XLS series and Beringer INUKE 3000/6000, so i can only go by what some owners use.

ie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZD2Pc_tHnE

existing amp is 525w but svs replacement is 800w for the 12" driver in the sub.

. not sure about the Audio research what is the 4 0hm rating?

have you used it to power a sub with that type of driver?

for eq i would use the on board dsp xls1502 or audyssey xt32 i guess.

On 31/10/2020 at 12:42 PM, hopefullguy said:

have you used it to power a sub with that type of driver?

I use a couple of my XLS 1502's to power Peerless XLS 10 bass unit drivers in an active setup.

• 3 weeks later...

im looking at the option of using a Crown Lxi 1500 amp to power the sub in my def tech tower (BP7004) which has had an amp failure.  I could get a new amp module but thats in excess of $800 and they never actually fixed the issue.  It's only a matter of time before the second tower has a similar amp issue - Its a known common issue apparently.

The problem i have is determining what impedance the sub runs at . . . i haven't been able to find anything on the net to tell me.  The speaker itself runs nominally at 8 ohm.  I'm assuming there's some way for me to measure it from the the sub terminals?  If its 4 ohm then its even better.  If it does work out i will just bypass both the internal amps and this gives me more flexibility as to where i can locate the speakers.

wouldnt a multi meter tell you? i did that on the old svs sub that the amp failed on.. just put the 2 probe ends onto the positive and negative connectors on the back of the woofer. then it tells you ohms.

in the end i got a plate amp from svs direct in the U.S. works fine now.

i did look at the crown xls1502 and 2502 models, they seem very good for the money.

1 hour ago, hopefullguy said:

wouldnt a multi meter tell you?

Not really, the DC resistance of the voice coil is not the same as its AC impedance.

If you measured a 4 ohm, 8 ohm, and 16 ohm driver of the same brand and model you'd be able to distinguish them from each other, but you're unlikely to be able to deduce the impedance of a single unknown driver from a DC resistance reading.

You may want to take a look at the hypex plate amp offering. 

https://www.diyclassd.com/product/fusionamp-fa501/158

https://www.diyclassd.com/product/fusionamp-fa251/155

https://www.diyclassd.com/plate-amplifiers/

Hypex Ncore amps are much better and very good. These plate amps comes with built in DSP and are actually made for Subs or active speaker setup.

I Behringer Inuke series are very good value and in my experience, very durable. I had one that I ran at full volume for 2 hours with a 20hz sine wave into a very powerful subwoofer driver. No smoke. 

On 23/11/2020 at 6:34 AM, pwstereo said:

Not really, the DC resistance of the voice coil is not the same as its AC impedance.

If you measured a 4 ohm, 8 ohm, and 16 ohm driver of the same brand and model you'd be able to distinguish them from each other, but you're unlikely to be able to deduce the impedance of a single unknown driver from a DC resistance reading.

I figure i will go with one that is both 8 and 4 ohm capable . . . i cant see it being 2 ohm

• Like 1