Amp Issue

Hi fellow members.

Experiencing a problem with my Plinius Hautonga amp. Hoping it is trivial, as it is only 16 months old.

When you put it on stand by via the remote. It seems to lock in stand by. It wont turn back on. You have to turn it off at the back switch, and then turn it back on again...then it's ok. Thought it was something l had done. But it has happened 3 or 4 times now and is a continuing thing. It does not happen every usage. It is fine for several usages, then it happens again.  Bit disconcerting.  Any ideas what it is and how to fix it. Bummed out as this is not a cheap amp.

Appreciate any advice.

Regards Ken.

Hi Ken,

Plinus is well built stuff, I've had a Hautonga amp. If it's worthwhile potentially you could get a tech here to liase with Plinius tech in NZ to resolve what should be a simple fix. I could reach out to the tech there as I've upgraded a few Plinius components in liason with them.

AJ

I’d go back to the retailer and ask for it to be repaired under statutory warranty, which may not be limited to a standard 12 month warranty.

As mentioned, it is not a cheap piece of equipment and it should be expected to work correctly for more than 16 months.

https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Warranties and refunds - a guide for consumers and business.pdf

Cheers,

SS

• Like 2

1 hour ago, david j said:

Be interesting to see if this is the cause 

Hi David/Greg. Thanks for your advice.

Batteries. First thing l tried. However the new batteries l replaced them with were a few years old. So l will purchase some new ones, just to be sure.

What l also did last was turn off the on off switch at the back and also removed the plug from socket. Will leave it off until l get some batteries tomorrow. Hoping it might reset in self???

Thanks guys.

21 hours ago, A J said:

I've asked my source - I'll get back if any joy

Thanks A J and subsonic.

Going to try a couple of things before l contact the seller. It's a PITA though. I'm in WA and they are in Queensland. Really appreciate your imput on this. So thanks. So as l said to other members, going to buy some new batteries for the remote. The new ones l fitted a month ago where a few years old. Plus I'm hoping that turning off and removing plug might reset something.  It is a weird thing. I listen to music most days. But it will be ok for days on end, and then it does it's little trick. Was also thinking that it might be a heat issue. There is plenty of room around the amp, so ventalation is not an issue. So new batteries in the remote. Switch in on...and see what happens.

Thanks everyone. Will let you know.

Cheers Ken.

• Like 1

Fitted new batteries, put the plug in and flicked the switch. Everything fine so far. But then this very intermittent problem (3 times in 6 weeks) may not happen for another week. Or I'm hoping not at all.

Finding it hard to understand why it would be a remote problem. When you turn the amp off then on, the remote works fine. This time around l have turned it on/standby several times each on every cd played. Pressed all the buttons on the remote several times also (seems to work on computers and cars).

Interestly enough, what l have discovered, is that when you turn it off at the main switch, and then turn it on again; it goes to standby mode. You then have to turn it off standby with the remote. So maybe there is a link.

Pretty screwed if the remote packs up, as there is no way to take it off standby that l can see.

There is no manual override on the amp.

Anyway, all l can do is play the waiting game and keep doing the same (multiple pressing of said buttons). Would be a great outcome if it was batteries.

If it doesn't fault after 2 weeks, l guess problem solved.

But if anyone else can shed some light on this issue... Please advise.

It's a weird one, and doing my head in.

Cheers and Thanks.

Ken