I am trying to ascertain if a Sonos Beam, which has HDMI input, can be made to run as the centre channel in my theatre setup which is driven by a Denon 2311. The back of the Denon looks like the attached. Current inputs (PVR, PS4, Chromecast) are all HDMI in, with a single HDMI out running to the ARC in of the TV, leaving 2 inputs spare. If I run the HDMI out of the AVR to a different input on the TV and utilise the ARC input for the Beam, will that allow the Beam to function as the centre channel for all sources connected to the AVR? 

The Beam is only being considered in this scenario as it is the slimmest, white centre speaker i can find and that is the criteria laid out for me. If anyone knows of a similar looking, passive, white centre I'd happily go down that path. The Jamo C9 was originally approved, until it was in place, and then it was most definitely not approved

Denon 2311.PNG

If its not a good tonal match for your main speakers it won't matter if it is technically feasible.  Have you considered setting up you avr in phantom centre mode?

I don't think you can restrict an arc output to be just the centre channel, so whatever is hooked up will get all the audio and it would ruin the surround effect.

• Like 1

Have been running the fronts with Phantom centre until very recently, with decent success. However, the interior designer has mandated that the speakers be placed in a sub-optimal position (out wide and hard against the wall) which has destroyed the imaging and making a phantom centre impossible.

Hadn't considered arc taking all channels. I think that rules the Beam (or any soundbar) out as an option. I'll continue to hunt for a low profile centre

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jone5y said:

Have been running the fronts with Phantom centre until very recently, with decent success. However, the interior designer has mandated that the speakers be placed in a sub-optimal position (out wide and hard against the wall) which has destroyed the imaging and making a phantom centre impossible.

What a bummer.  my "interior designer" and I compromised in a completely different direction (retired the big floor standers which were most of the system) ended up with a passive sound bar and a discretely placed sub.  I don't listen to music in there any more and have two other systems set up for that now

edit:

https://www.richersounds.com/monitor-audio-radius-one-satin-white.html

https://avaustralia.com.au/klipsch-rp-440d-sb-3-ch-passive-on-wall-lcr-soundbar/

I haven't heard this or even know if it is available, but the choice of passive sound bars is pretty low.  It might be interesting to wire something like this as your centre.  Getting the timbre to match your other speakers will always be a challenge though.

I have a cheap Dayton Audio from Amazon that I don't hate exactly, but I do like not arguing about the decor any more in the lounge.

Edited by Old Man Rubber
added product

That's one of the few on the list.  There are also a couple of black ones should she relent on "must be white".

Have tried negotiating a separate room previously, might be time to revisit. 

• Like 1