Hi, I'm from Canberra, Australia and new to the forum. Currently looking at bookshelf speakers and wondering if Castle Richmond Anniversary are still worth consideration some 10 years since they were released or has technology and more recent developments passed them by? At the moment my options are the Castle or B&W 606 R2 anniversary speakers, or spend a bit more and get the new KEF meta. Thoughts?

:welcome: to the forum..

Speakers are often a personal choice. For example, I do not rate B&W and prefer Kef speakers,  but others love their B&W.  Best to judge them by auditioning for your self.  If that is not possible, then you need to find someone whom you know that has similar taste and listening preferences and use them as your proxy.

I have auditioned both the KEF Metas (LS50W II and LS50 Meta) and the Castle. The big price difference is the obvious factor, but I'm more curious as to whether the Castle (at from $11099-12099  new) is worth it given i) the age of the technology/specs (does that even matter?) and ii) the fact that second hand ones 5-10 years old in excellent condition sell for as little as $200 (suggesting they don't hold their value).

Would be interested in hearing from any Castle owners.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Chris55 said:

I have auditioned both the KEF Metas (LS50W II and LS50 Meta) and the Castle. The big price difference is the obvious factor, but I'm more curious as to whether the Castle (at from $11099-12099  new) is worth it given i) the age of the technology/specs (does that even matter?) and ii) the fact that second hand ones 5-10 years old in excellent condition sell for as little as $200 (suggesting they don't hold their value).

If you can get them for $200, the Castle is a steal. Does it matter if they depreciate quickly, when you are the beneficiary?  

What amp are you using?  It can influence how it matches to the speakers. My knowledge of amp and speaker matching is limited but others can chip in.