Rega P1 or P2?

Hi Everyone!

I'm pretty new to vinyl, and currently have a Audio Technica LP60X. I'm looking at moving onto something with an upgradeable cartride and came across the Rega P1. It seems great and my level of finesse in listening to records i don't think warrants a P2. However, I'm concerned that as i listen to more vinyls, I'm going to eventually want to upgrade to a P2, at which point im thinking why not just start off with a P2. So i guess my question is, for those who have had either of them, 

1. Can you attain P2 level SQ/tonality by upgrading the cartridge/stylus?
2. Can you buy a glass platter like the one on the P2 and put it onto the P1?

Another unrelated question i had with those that have the Rega Planar TT's is, if you have the white colour, does it go yellow after a period of time?

Thanks in advance!

In my opinion, just go for the P2.

Better tonearm, glass platter, way sexier, ready to roll.

In due time, an upgraded cartridge will make it sing.

The P1 is a fantastic entry level turntable, a better cartridge will help, but not to the extent of the P2.

I have a P1, P2 and P3 and have played around with all of them.

Of course the P3 with factory fitted Elys2  cartridge leaves the others in the dust, but that is a far more expensive turntable.

Paul

• Thanks 1

Do you like fiddling!  I got a Rega P1 (Union Jack Plinth being the reason I brought it) and it played well and sounded fine, but, it played alongside my modded Linn LP12 and didn't compete so got little use.  This is not knocking the P1.

So here is the relevance of the fiddling!  It got a new bearing, grove tracer sub platter, delrin platter, bottom brace to support the extra weight, RB300 tonearm, Rega exact cartridge, 24VAC motor, Rega Neo speed controller, linear power supply, twin belt motor pulley, upgraded belts, off board motor pod, and isolating feet.

So it is now a hot rodded P1 plinth probably of equivalence of an RP6 but probably costing more over the upgrade time, but you can spread the outlay :-)

• Thanks 1

Looks like the go is getting a P2!

Thanks guys! I'll wait a bit longer and jump into a P2.

I like the look of the white one, but is the plinth perspex/plastic? If so does it go yellow as do most white plastic objects?

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm back again!

With another question.... So i got all the necessary financials sorted out and im all set to go in and buy it this weekend.

HOWEVER, now I saw the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge for the same money. It's got an acrylic platter which some say is better than glass (based on my google research).

Should i stick to the P2 or look into the Debut Carbon? Not sure how the Rega cartridges compare to the 2M Red at this price level.

Any opinions would be much appreciated!

1 hour ago, TK31 said:

So I'm back again!

With another question.... So i got all the necessary financials sorted out and im all set to go in and buy it this weekend.

HOWEVER, now I saw the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge for the same money. It's got an acrylic platter which some say is better than glass (based on my google research).

Should i stick to the P2 or look into the Debut Carbon? Not sure how the Rega cartridges compare to the 2M Red at this price level.

Any opinions would be much appreciated!

Ive had booth and i think the rega is the better turntable And you have that vast list of upgrade bits for rega should you ever get the urge to tweak in the future

• Thanks 1

The fun started the minute it came out of the packaging. Rega's tracking weight instructions weren't too clear for someone clueless like I am and took a few youtube videos to figure it out. Got there in the end.

The sound quality even with the Carbon cart is definitely a solid improvement over the LP60X using a NAD PP 2e

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TK31 said:

The fun started the minute it came out of the packaging. Rega's tracking weight instructions weren't too clear for someone clueless like I am and took a few youtube videos to figure it out. Got there in the end.

The sound quality even with the Carbon cart is definitely a solid improvement over the LP60X using a NAD PP 2e

Are you using a nap phono stage

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2020 at 8:12 AM, richard260 said:

Are you using a nap phono stage

Yep using the NAD phono stage! The inbuilt one on my amp is definitely quiet.

On 17/11/2020 at 4:48 PM, sTan6x3 said:

what speakers / amp setup do you have ?

i'm considering the Planar 2 as well.

The speakers are B&W 603 S2's and the amp is a denon AVR-3805. Inbetween the Planar 2 and the Denon is a NAD PP2e phono stage.

• 4 weeks later...