Vinyl. If it isn't played, it's just more 'stuff', and it isn't needed.

G'day all.

I wonder if others can relate to this!?

A bit over 5 years ago, I lived in Melbourne & we bought a house by accident in Queensland.

The house in Melbourne was 4 bedrooms, 2 storey, 35 squares, 2-car garage, and a shed, 1000m2 block.

The house in Queensland was 2 bedrooms, single storey, 17 squares & a carport.

Can you see the problem? 35 doesn't fit into 17!

So, a new mindset was required. 'If it aint used, it aint needed'.

And that included my vinyl stash.

So I went through my vinyl with the mindset that 'if I aint played it in the last 5 years, I probably wont play in the next 5 years' so its up for sale.

A GtG was had and I sold approx 250 albums for not much money. I remember I sold a gatefold Sgt Peppers for $10, as I had another one.

So, it's now past 5 years since I moved to Qld and I am about to to do it again. 'if I aint played it in the last 5 years, I probably wont play in the next 5 years' so its up for sale.

If it isn't played, it's just more 'stuff'

I haven't counted how much vinyl that is, but it's quite a bit more than a few.

GtGs in Qld are a waste of time coz the place is so big ie 6 times the size of Vic. So I haven't figured out how I will sell the vinyl to be culled.

But, my bigger question is, how do others keep things under control, or maybe they don't.

I don't want too many things in my life that i don't use.

Of course there are things we don't use that we must keep. But in my current life, vinyl records that don't get played isn't one of them.

BtW. I still buy vinyl, old and new, but only if i am going to listen to it! :)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I did exactly the same a year ago when we moved from a house to an apartment! You can imagine that! I got rid of lots of stuff that I don't use. For music, I got rid of some CDs, records, amp, cd players and speakers.. etc that I either not use, not listen to or even barely use eg. study setup. 

I realised we buy more and store away sometimes if we have the space.

Now, I only buy records and cds that I would listen to, and at least more than half of songs that I like otherwise not gonna buy them. Just keep one system although I have 2 TT...

Everytime I want to buy something new, I would sell something old.

It has been working well atm to keep things in order.

I think I admire what you are doing but in answer to your question, 

4 minutes ago, Gee Emm said:

But, my bigger question is, how do others keep things under control, or maybe they don't.

I am afraid my answer is, I don't really keep thing under control and my thinking is,  just because I have not played some thing for five years dose not meant I will not want to play it in the next five years.

I do sell things but i have to think that I would never want to play them.

Also in Queensland so may be interested in buying something.

Presently about 3500 lp's , 2000 cd's and 1500 7'' singles.

IKEAIMG_20190613_062826.thumb.jpg.5d4ee0860cddf0848c994571955f31c4.jpg

• Like 10

@Gee Emm up until a few years ago, I'd never sold off virtually anything- including vinyl.

It just had to sit on the shelf, and take comfort with me occasionally glancing at it - and often with a reminisce of it's origins and settings in history.

And there lies the rub, hard to give up on the memories often !

Although I did have a momentary epiphany, after someone politely suggested I traded my increasingly faded memories into cash!

Worked out very well too, gave my system a big boost with new gear l bought.

Need to make some hard decisions on latest to purge very soon. ?

Hey Graham,  send me a list watya got for sale! ?

10 minutes ago, awayward said:

I want know how you buy a house by accident?

He had to leave in a big hurry! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not too bad at culling stuff but records, books, guitars would be the last to go. I try to just keep the rest of my life disposable and thankfully the Mrs shares the same mindset. We legitimately only own 2 plates, 2 bowls, 2 sets of cutlery, we splurged out and do own about 8 various cups/glasses... All bought from the opshop and primed to be donated back if we ever need that space back lol furniture is likewise all minimal, cheap and readily disposable without it being an issue.  We have Maybe a large suitcase of clothing each..

Admittedly we don't own a house but if we did it would still be furnished with the same mentality. Guess it's all about where your priorities lie at the end of the day. I have a strong attachment to the books and records I've curated into my 'collection' over my lifetime. And I have no desire to own expensive furniture or appliances when there's perfectly serviceable stuff getting thrown away or flogged off cheap every day.

• Like 2

In Queensland and have records but not of a size yet that it has become a burden. 

always open to buying locally though, so if you’re selling or having a GtG, count me in! 

My justification is that if I stick to just one source (vinyl) I’m ‘doing my part’ in being rational / minimalistic :D  (aren’t we just so great at deceiving ourselves..?)

Ash

32 minutes ago, awayward said:

I want know how you buy a house by accident?

It's not a long story, but it is a story :)

29 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Everytime I want to buy something new, I would sell something old.

We have a new rule since we moved... If something comes in, something goes out. It's a good rule :)

28 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

Also in Queensland so may be interested in buying something.

Presently about 3500 lp's , 2000 cd's and 1500 7'' singles.

My current plan is to keep my collection under ~500 or so.

I'll let you know when I put a sell list together ;)

10 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

always open to buying locally though, so if you’re selling or having a GtG, count me in! 

I'm on the Sunshine Coast, I'll add your name to the list of locals ;)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, evil c said:

@Gee Emm up until a few years ago, I'd never sold off virtually anything- including vinyl.

It just had to sit on the shelf, and take comfort with me occasionally glancing at it - and often with a reminisce of it's origins and settings in history.

And there lies the rub, hard to give up on the memories often !

Once you get past this mindset, it's easier to sell 'stuff'.

I'm trying to live in the future, coz it's now much, much shorter than my past ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, SkipEsquire said:

I'm not too bad at culling stuff but records, books, guitars would be the last to go. I try to just keep the rest of my life disposable and thankfully the Mrs shares the same mindset. We legitimately only own 2 plates, 2 bowls, 2 sets of cutlery, we splurged out and do own about 8 various cups/glasses... All bought from the opshop and primed to be donated back if we ever need that space back lol furniture is likewise all minimal, cheap and readily disposable without it being an issue.  We have Maybe a large suitcase of clothing each..

Admittedly we don't own a house but if we did it would still be furnished with the same mentality. Guess it's all about where your priorities lie at the end of the day. I have a strong attachment to the books and records I've curated into my 'collection' over my lifetime. And I have no desire to own expensive furniture or appliances when there's perfectly serviceable stuff getting thrown away or flogged off cheap every day.

I so relate to this scenario. My first home of my own was 2 1/2 hours drive from Melbourne as that was all I could afford. When the build started, interest rate was 5%, when it was completed 9 months later, interest rate was 17% after the Pyramid collapse ( why the %£€{}# did no- one spot that one- the ~{%€¥in clue was in the  name!!!!!)

So anyway , when I moved in, there was a bed,  a deck chair, a plate, knife and fork, two cups and one saucepan.

As it happens, my friend and family took advantage of the fact my home was minutes to the beach just north of Apollo Bay, and had free holidays.

The house was bare, and they basically equiped it with ‘stuff’.

But what I did have was a great sound system, hundreds of books, and my art collection. Really, that’s all I needed.

My point is this; if something once engaged  your heart and mind, you may not have listened to it for five years, but you will again. With the wisdom of the years, it may still touch that sweet spot all over again.

Sell the extra couch, the sideboard, whatever....

Dont sell you history.

Billy.

• Like 10

Personally i'm a shocker as it seems the older I get the more I regress to those"good times" so I'd  rather lose a leg than get rid of any special vinyl unplayed or not. Yeah some might just call it "stuff" but then again so am I....

Edited by Tubularbells
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

i culled my record collection drastically a couple of years ago, rang up my stepson and told him to come and collect about 350LP's, said i was going to leave my entire collection to him in my will, he could have these early, anything he didn't like he could sell or trade to increase his collection, now have about 400LP's, still buying , but very selective.

Sold my guitar collection, selling tools, trying to trim everywhere i can, lean is the way to go, started life with very little, was happy then, can do it again

14 hours ago, Gee Emm said:

I'm trying to live in the future, coz it's now much, much shorter than my past ?

13 hours ago, rantan said:

That is a really good way to describe ageing

"Many moons I have lived
My body's weathered and worn
Ask yourself how old you'd be
If you didn't know the day you were born"

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Bugs said:

There is a Record Fair at Limestone Park here in Ipswich this Saturday, not sure how it works but you might be able to off load some LPs there

G'day @Bugs

I'll need to get up at Sparrow's, and pack a thermos and cut lunch ;)

As we get older, the most important thing in life is your HEALTH, not HI FI or anything else for that matter, we don't need the burden of trying to offload it when an unfortunate situation might arise. There's some serious $$$ vested into your media, so my advice is to get rid of it all and the TT, make it simple and buy yourself a used or near new DCS Bartok and smell the roses.

cheers Frank.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Personally i'm a shocker as it seems the older I get the more I regress to those"good times" so I'd  rather lose a leg than get rid of any special vinyl unplayed or not. Yeah some might just call it "stuff" but then again so am I....

Last sentence

Very very funny?

Yep, moving to a premises half the size would force a change in mindset .. I saw that helping move my parents years ago into a nursing home, you needed to be brutal, and they started 2 years previously distributing items to the extended family and charities.  I don't have common genes, in fact the exact opposite ??  

So I built our retirement house that was double the size of what I had and already had a large collection of things which includes my Vinyl I started collecting in 1973, lots of CD's and just stuff that has since grown ?  Building a decent sized man shed was a wonderful exercise to get some organisation around my collections but as I found out also a dangerous opportunity.  My ethos seems to be 'Space is there to be filled' and 'you never know when you may need this item again' or 'its a handy spare' or its a 'family heirloom handed down'.  I have reached an impasse with hifi, I have no sensible space for another system which is actually good on my wallet but I still hunt on SNA Classifieds as do many, as I can always upgrade smaller components ie., Valves, Network Streamers, CD Transports, cables   etc ...  The maturing of Network Digital also satisfies my never ending hunt for new and old artists with play back at good resolution.

My oldest son threatens to just bring in a dumpster (will need a few) and chuck out everything in the man shed, threatening that you know what will happen when you are gone, and we don't want to have to sort it out so do something  ... he has pushed me a few times to build a sales site for Guitars and hifi to start down sizing, selling Vinyl has never come in to my lexicon, but as digital in my system is evolving and improving thru endless upgrades it maybe feasible, but not likely ? ...  so I start building a web site but loose interest as too many other interesting things to pursue and acquire, or maybe I am just too attached to my stuff, but know in my heart that it makes sense.   I am jealous of those in this thread that have such good discipline, 'one in one out' is a very good principle. 

Hifi is one of my periodic compulsions but music has always been and will continue to be an enjoyable part of my life, as it is to most on SNA.   Visiting other SNA'ers I see the common signs with multiple systems including large collections of vinyl so I know am not alone  ??

Edited by Rosco8
  • Love 1

If you are going to have a local GTG, please count me in.

I'd like a list too if you make one.

If you join the Queensland Audio Club (QAC) you can send me a list and I'll send out a email to the club members.

https://www.queenslandaudio.club/join-us

Or you can bring the LPs to our monthly meetings to sell (as I do).

it's only $20 a year for membership. That wouldn't even cover the cost of the food you would eat at one of our BBQs (or an occasional pig on a spit).

Cheers,

Andrew

37 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

If you are going to have a local GTG, please count me in.

I'd like a list too if you make one.

If you join the Queensland Audio Club (QAC) you can send me a list and I'll send out a email to the club members.

Andrew, I'm already a member :)

As most (?) meetings are in Brisbane region I don't attend most, I can spend more time on the road than I do at the meetings.

I know that's not a real excuse. ;)

42 minutes ago, Rosco8 said:

My oldest son threatens to just bring in a dumpster (will need a few) and chuck out everything in the man shed, threatening that you know what will happen when you are gone, and we don't want to have to sort it out so do something  ...

This is a reality!

We know for a fact, that if we both get cleaned up, our oldest son who lives local, will probably take 3 things from the house, & the rest will go in 6m3 skip bins.

He'll probably even pay people to do it, and they'll take the goodies & dump the rest.

Knowing that really sharpens your sense of converting unused items into cash.

Holidays cost money. :)

Chuck-out.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 28/10/2020 at 4:27 PM, Gee Emm said:

G'day all.

I wonder if others can relate to this!?

A bit over 5 years ago, I lived in Melbourne & we bought a house by accident in Queensland.

The house in Melbourne was 4 bedrooms, 2 storey, 35 squares, 2-car garage, and a shed, 1000m2 block.

The house in Queensland was 2 bedrooms, single storey, 17 squares & a carport.

Can you see the problem? 35 doesn't fit into 17!

So, a new mindset was required. 'If it aint used, it aint needed'.

And that included my vinyl stash.

So I went through my vinyl with the mindset that 'if I aint played it in the last 5 years, I probably wont play in the next 5 years' so its up for sale.

A GtG was had and I sold approx 250 albums for not much money. I remember I sold a gatefold Sgt Peppers for $10, as I had another one.

So, it's now past 5 years since I moved to Qld and I am about to to do it again. 'if I aint played it in the last 5 years, I probably wont play in the next 5 years' so its up for sale.

If it isn't played, it's just more 'stuff'

I haven't counted how much vinyl that is, but it's quite a bit more than a few.

GtGs in Qld are a waste of time coz the place is so big ie 6 times the size of Vic. So I haven't figured out how I will sell the vinyl to be culled.

I don't want too many things in my life that i don't use.

Of course there are things we don't use that we must keep. But in my current life, vinyl records that don't get played isn't one of them.

BtW. I still buy vinyl, old and new, but only if i am going to listen to it! :)

Sell vinyl?

Sorry does not compute, dont understand twich twich, need to go and lie down with that thought..

Send me your list.

Chris

• Like 2

• Administrator
On 28/10/2020 at 5:27 PM, Gee Emm said:

I think I bought a lot of those from you, and now I've inherited your problem! :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2