JVC N5 VS EPSON 9400 UPGRADE (FROM PANASONIC PTAE8000)

Hello Guys,

Thank you for your previous advice regarding my home theater.  I just got a new projector screen (Screen Innovation 5 type) and surround sounds and Marantz AV7705 then I realized that I have neglected probably the most important factor for my movie experience... NEW Projector !!

ROOM : I do not have a dedicated room.  In fact, my living room (facing west) has two large window (2.4 m x 1.6 m) so when I wanna watch project, its usually at night or blinds down.

QUESTIONS:  I have read so much of the famous "JVC BLACK" which is unmatched.  But I have also read that EPSON 9400 will be good for a non dedicated room such as mine.

I know that JVC N5 is a full 4k projector while Epson is just e-shift type.

Given my situation (movie watching condition), what would be the best option for me ?

Thank you for all the experts.... I got a bit overwhelmed reading all these HDR .... SDR ... here and there.... 

Alex

I have a JVC N5 and love it. Great bright picture and plenty of detail.

I came from an Epson Eh-6100W and enjoyed it as it was my 1st go at getting a projector. Night and day difference but still enjoyed.

I hear good thinks about the epson so best bet would to try and demo them if you can.

• Like 2

If you're watching UHD discs, the JVC's dynamic tone mapping is a big step up.

The Epson's lens is very sharp while JVC's can be variable in quality. If buying a JVC I suggest you agree with the retailer beforehand that they will assist in a return if the lens is substandard.

For all 3 panel projectors (e.g. the Epson and JVC) you should also agree with the retailer beforehand that they will assist with a return if the convergence is poor. Projectors are delicate and rough handling in transit can play havoc on convergence.

• Like 2

@betty boop ...  @Quark ...  I mostly watch a lot of Netflix at the moment.  Another thing I heard is the prohibitive cost of the JVC lamp vs Epson...

wow... Convergence...  This is something that I have not thought of before...  I will need to read up on this.

Since I dont have a bat cave, does this mean that I will not miss much getting the 9400 over the JVC N5 ?

Just now, SUPEROX said:

@betty boop ...  @Quark ...  I mostly watch a lot of Netflix at the moment.  Another thing I heard is the prohibitive cost of the JVC lamp vs Epson...

wow... Convergence...  This is something that I have not thought of before...  I will need to read up on this.

Since I dont have a bat cave, does this mean that I will not miss much getting the 9400 over the JVC N5 ?

Convergence is just the alignment of the RGB sub-pixels that make up each pixel.  You will  nearly always see some mis-convergence - so long as it doesn't exceed one pixel. Modern projectors have adjustments to "fix" convergence through image processing (not actually aligning the panels) - there are differing views on whether to use these (I do).

You will still notice the better contrast of the JVC - whether it's worth the price difference is up to you.

Personally, I think projector ownership is a classic example of the Law of Diminishing Returns.

I am a firm believer in the opinion that the room is perhaps the main contributor of the level of performance.

In a "bat cave" the N5 would be a serious consideration. IMHO with a less than optimal ambient light environment the potential for a better lens in the 9400 and a couple of extra lumens might swing me in that direction. YMMV. 

• Like 2

Given you're using your living room, you (probably) don't have dark walls and ceiling. Lighter coloured walls and ceiling will probably reduce contrast of the image due to reflecting light. This may lessen the benefit of the N5.

Personally, if that's the case, I'd lean towards sharper optics in the Epson - as well as saving some money.

• Like 1

Hello guys, thank you for the reply.  I was at the lifestyle store in Parramatta today. and they can only show me the 9400 and the sony 270.  They dont have any JVC to show somehow (which is strange).  My impression of 9400 ?  Compare to the sony 270 (which costs $9k), sony seems to be better in motion like the Netflix F1 compare to Epson 9400.  I can feel the edge a bit jagged on 9400.  Would a JVC N5 have better motion flow ?

The Epson 9400 looked a bit washed out so I am not sure if it has been calibrated right (funny how those room sounds like its bouncing around - boom tizz and rattle...compare to my ATC SCM 50A ....)...  But, could it be that my current Panasonic PT 8000 project can still hold its candle against a 9400 ?  The law of diminishing return....  is indeed the question....  so far I find my Panasonic PT8000 gives a good film like colour.  But again, I am mostly an audio guy trying to get into movie theater work...

@betty boop .... you're a JVC fan right ?  Whats your opinion ? 

looking forward to your opinion..

Alex

1 hour ago, SUPEROX said:

Compare to the sony 270 (which costs $9k), sony seems to be better in motion like the Netflix F1 compare to Epson 9400.  I can feel the edge a bit jagged on 9400.  Would a JVC N5 have better motion flow ?

I think Sony handles motion better than JVC and Epson. 

The Epson 9400 looked a bit washed out

I own a 9400 and have never noticed the image to be washed out.  I find the image to be crisp and the colours pop and look great. I moved from an x9900 to the 9400 and I have no regrets. I also like that the lamps are substantially cheaper so I don’t care if the kids game on the epson all day. 
I agree with what was said above in that if you aren’t in a bat cave, I’m not sure what benefit the n5 would be over the 9400.

• Like 1

Thanks Flamjam... That is so true....  I might pull the trigger on the 9400....  

where is the best place to buy it...I am based in Sydney.... is it safe to order online in VIC if they have a good deal ?

I saw Clef Hifi have one for $4379...or better just price match from sydney seller ?  Who are the best people to buy in Sydney for...

I heard there are shortage at the moment and the wait can be long...

Thanks..

Alex

Thanks Flamjam... That is so true....  I might pull the trigger on the 9400....  

where is the best place to buy it...I am based in Sydney.... is it safe to order online in VIC if they have a good deal ?

I’m in Sydney as well. I purchased through Richard at Oztheatre in QLD.  He’s a forum regular and great to deal with. If you wanted to purchase in Sydney, lifestyle store and digital cinema would probably be the main shops. 

• Like 2

@flamjam ... DId you ever consider 8400 vs 9400 ?  The 8400 is about $1k cheaper than 9400 ....  please share your thoughts...

No, I saw the 9400 at a mates place, liked what I saw so went that route.

I’ve been very happy with it. I liked my JVC a lot as well but for my needs the 9400 was the right choice as my next pj.  I have no complaints about the PQ and paired with my ub9000, HDR is great and really pops (for a pj). The cheap lamps are a bonus, especially when the kids want to game on it. I never let them game on the JVC with lamps being so dear!!

Edited by flamjam

Hi @flamjam 

Thank you for your advise.  I have decided to take the plunge and order the 9400 from @CustomHT !  

I also have decided to get a grey screen as my room is in the living room and that will allow me to get maximum usage.  I am getting the Screen Technics Hi-contrast Grey.  I notice that the white of the Epson can be "too white" so hopefully getting this grey screen will give me a bit of a moody "grey white" ...

Looking forward to share the experience..

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SUPEROX said:

Thank you for your advise.  I have decided to take the plunge and order the 9400 from

Congrats! If you don’t already have a good 4K player, it’s worth investing in a Panasonic. Even the cheap 420 will do the trick if you don’t want to splash out for the 9000 or 820. The tone mapping  really helps in the HDR department. I’ve never owned a grey screen but have heard good things when you need to combat ambient light.

Definitely post back and let us know how you go once it’s set up! Enjoy!!

Edited by flamjam
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, SUPEROX said:

thanks for the advice. Would you recommend an invidia pro vs Panasonic 420 for netflix viewing in 4K ?

I actually use an Apple TV 4K for Netflix. I only use the Panasonic for discs, so I’m probably not much help to you with that question.

The Nvidia Shield Pro is preferable for audio as it passes Dolby Atmos & DTS/TrueHD to receiver while the Apple TV only passes Atmos.

Additionally the 4K upscaling on the Nvidia Shield Pro is pretty darned good for a circa $350 box

Hi also @superbox,

I'm based in Singapore and purchased one over here just last week. Am primarily using it as a means of dipping my toes into Plex as I have an overwhelming physical media collection that i'd love to whittle down and/or put into storage.
A quick look online suggests that Harvey Norman has them in stock for $318.
Good luck!

5 hours ago, Black Label said:

Hi also @superbox,

I'm based in Singapore and purchased one over here just last week. Am primarily using it as a means of dipping my toes into Plex as I have an overwhelming physical media collection that i'd love to whittle down and/or put into storage.
A quick look online suggests that Harvey Norman has them in stock for $318.
Good luck!

$318 is a really good price for the Pro!! Lowest i'd seen before this was $350. 

I've been looking to get one myself. Currently use the HiMedia Q10 Pro, great unit, but not a lot of support these days. Looks wonderful on my 9400

Hi @Johnny_Boy & all,

I set it up yesterday...and even if I am using my PTAE8000, the change is almost like getting a new projector!  The movement is smoother and clarity (can be a bit too clear) on some TV show.  So great advice SNA team!!!

The interesting thing that I would like to know is the 1080/60 and 1080/59.3  1080/24....blah blah...  and those funny numbers with 4:2:2 and 4:4;4 (reminded me of the horrible differential equation when I was in uni!

My question is if I am watching a movie (do I switch to 1080/30 ?) and if I watch a telenovela ..such as Narco (do I switch to 1080/24 ?

Enjoying the overall speed and ease....hope for some feedback!

• Like 1