Streamer advice

G'day All,

I'm looking for some advice on a streamer from the local brain-trust. I currently have an AudioLab M-One integrated amp that I stream Tidal via USB from an iPad or my PC. I found a second hand Cambridge Audio CXN (VERSION 1) for less than $1,000. I like the idea of the preamp out on the CXN so I can run it straight into an Adcom power amp I have. Am I better off with this device, or am I better off with a new Audiolab 6000N or Blusound Node 2i?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I bought a Bluesound Node 2i recently and love it (especially the BluOS app). The DAC in the 2i is great but you can also feed it out into an external DAC if you choose. Now Tidal Connect is supported, you can just cast tracks from the Tidal app straight to the Node 2i (this is great if you have multiple people in the house with separate Tidal profiles - the BluOS app supports only one Tidal profile while Tidal Connect allows anyone with their Tidal account to cast through the Node).

Some things to consider.

• Node 2i cashback offer is difficult to ignore
  • BluOS on Node2i is easier to use, better looking than CXN App
  • Suspect CXN is a better preamp than Node 2i (but have not compared them side by side)
  • Audiolab 6000N has the same DAC as the M One?  Please check your specs.
Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Some things to consider.

• Node 2i cashback offer is difficult to ignore
  • BluOS on Node2i is easier to use, better looking than CXN App
  • Suspect CXN is a better preamp than Node 2i (but have not compared them side by side)
  • Audiolab 6000N has the same DAC as the M One?  Please check your specs.

Also, IIRC the CXN is more than twice the price of the Node 2i at $2099 RRP.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2020 at 1:16 PM, Ken Lipper said:

G'day All,

I'm looking for some advice on a streamer from the local brain-trust. I currently have an AudioLab M-One integrated amp that I stream Tidal via USB from an iPad or my PC. I found a second hand Cambridge Audio CXN (VERSION 1) for less than $1,000. I like the idea of the preamp out on the CXN so I can run it straight into an Adcom power amp I have. Am I better off with this device, or am I better off with a new Audiolab 6000N or Blusound Node 2i?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

This might be off the track a little, but you could always go separates (Streamer/DAC) and look at Roon, running a cheap RPI endpoint.  

Its very simple to run a RPI4 as a USB or HAT endpoint. using Ropieee. 

https://ropieee.org/

My setup is:

RPI4 USB > RME ADI2 DAC.

I found this a big improvement V's the Cambridge CXNv2 I heard in my system (CXNv2 feeding the RME ADI2 via SPDIF). 

I also prefer its performance to my excellent sounding Pioneer N70-a.

THE RPI4 via USB also provides DSD capability. 

In this setup Roon would perform the first unfold, your DAC would need to take over from there (if further unfolds are important to you).  

Ropieee XL also provides uPnP, Spotify connect, etc. 

Edited by musicbee