Big HDMI Woes For Latest Receivers

There's going to be a lot of unhappy gamers! They were looking forward to these fancy, new features and then this. Just another day in the world of the fussy hdmi standard.

I was watching a movie on Apple TV 4K last night, had it paused, and when I resumed playback it was flickering and screen was blanking for several seconds. Luckily it was solved by turning the AVR off/on, but as some would know, it's just part of my hdmi saga over months.

Guest Old Man Rubber

HDMI has been a disaster from day 1.  The connectors are nuts, the transmission standards are nuts, the whole crazy device control stuff never seems to work.  I never though anything would make me pine for the good old days of 3 massive RCA cords and component video but these guys managed it.

To be fair it is also a problem for Yamaha  . Just a firmware patch hopefully[ yamaha can lean on the chipset providers too reprogram the chipset ?]  ; not too long either or this could be another onkyo hdmi fiasco...

https://www.audioholics.com/news/bug-in-hdmi-2.1-chipsets

Official Yamaha Response Regarding the HDMI 2.1 Chipset Bug

As we test and explore new gaming system capabilities and the latest HDMI specifications, we will provide guidance on our website to help new and future customers with the compatibility of our latest AV receivers. We will certainly provide you with an update in the near-term.

Edited by cwt