Advice Required - which Turntable & cartridge for to match with Zu Soul Supremes & Pathos Twin Towers.

Hi everyone, been quite a long time since i posted here, hope everyone is doing well in what is a rather difficult year.

After a few years of going on a bit of a hiatus with my audiophile hobby, i've decided to take a deep breath and have another go at it, but as always - i need to feed of the advice of people who know a lot more than i do  - you guys.

I've decided its time to upgrade my Turntable and cartridge. I'm currently combining a Rega RP3 with a Ortofon Blue (yes i know, not great - but my previous stylus got broken and it was all i could afford at the time) with the Rega PSU & 24V High Performance Motor upgrade. I had also upgraded to a Tangospinner sub-plata, premium brass pulley & feet. I've also upgraded all the belts to a higher quality than the standard & had the Incognito tonearm cable kit installed, as well as a Groovetracer Counterweight.

For the rest which i will be keeping, I am sporting a pair of Zu Soul Supremes, Pathos Twin Tower amp & a DynaVector MKIII phono. What suggestions of TT and cartridge should I be looking at to match with this? My budget will be whatever i can sell my RP3+PSU for + an additional $2,000 -3,500k )including stylus. (if anyone has an opinion on what i should sell this form i am all ears)

I recall hearing the ClearAudio suggested previously. I've also seen some interesting Pear ones around too. Any advice someone can pass on here would be fantastic & I would be very grateful for any advice. When i purchased my Amp & speakers previously i did this same progress and you all were fantastic with your outgoing advice - so thank you all in advance for anything you can offer.

Edited by RaoulJuke

I would suggest a Technics 1200GR with a Dynavector DV-20X2.

The cart will work well with your phono stage and the Technics will last forever and sound great in  doing so. If budget allows I strongly recommend the new DV P75 MkIV as it is simply superb and a huge leap in quality from the older DV stages.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, rantan said:

I would suggest a Technics 1200GR with a Dynavector DV-20X2.

The cart will work well with your phono stage and the Technics will last forever and sound great in  doing so. If budget allows I strongly recommend the new DV P75 MkIV as it is simply superb and a huge leap in quality from the older DV stages.

Thanks Rantan, the MKIV - any idea what they go for? Googled but no price on the website

Just a side note, I will likely prefer to buy secondhand as i know the the value to dollar stretches further & tbh the customer service i got on my previous "new" purchase was real ordinary & saw little to no reason to spend the extra bucks on a new item, unfortunately. 

Edited by RaoulJuke

35 minutes ago, RaoulJuke said:

Thanks Rantan, the MKIV - any idea what they go for? Googled but no price on the website

Happy to help.

The RRP on the DV 74 Mk IV is $1249 but perhaps with some negotiations perhaps to around $1150.

Trust me on this it is money hugely well spent.

I have had one for about three months now and the SQ has taken a quantum leap, especially in partnership with the D-V20X2 cart and the PE (phono enhancing) circuit of the P75.

https://recordclean.com.au/dynavector-p-75-mk4--phono-preamplifier.html

• Like 2

Clearaudio are good, but come with a drawback that the magnetic tonearm bearing is a bit fiddly in terms of accommodating non-CA carts. So if you’re happy to stick with CA carts (if I recall the entry level is basically an AT95E in different clothes), then they’re excellent tables and aesthetically beautiful IMO. If you want flexibility in terms of arms/carts etc in the future, then I’d go with something else TBH.

1 hour ago, RNWau said:

Clearaudio are good, but come with a drawback that the magnetic tonearm bearing is a bit fiddly in terms of accommodating non-CA carts. So if you’re happy to stick with CA carts (if I recall the entry level is basically an AT95E in different clothes), then they’re excellent tables and aesthetically beautiful IMO. If you want flexibility in terms of arms/carts etc in the future, then I’d go with something else TBH.

Wasn't aware of that. Forgotten how much of a learning curve there is on this stuff to make sure it all goes together nicely. Lucky im not in a rush!

9 minutes ago, RaoulJuke said:

Wasn't aware of that. Forgotten how much of a learning curve there is on this stuff to make sure it all goes together nicely. Lucky im not in a rush!

All part of the journey, right?

I've always had the view that whatever prompts you to buy more music and listen to more music is the right choice :)

• Like 2