Jump to content

Advice Required - which Turntable & cartridge for to match with Zu Soul Supremes & Pathos Twin Towers.


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, been quite a long time since i posted here, hope everyone is doing well in what is a rather difficult year.

 

After a few years of going on a bit of a hiatus with my audiophile hobby, i've decided to take a deep breath and have another go at it, but as always - i need to feed of the advice of people who know a lot more than i do  - you guys.

 

I've decided its time to upgrade my Turntable and cartridge. I'm currently combining a Rega RP3 with a Ortofon Blue (yes i know, not great - but my previous stylus got broken and it was all i could afford at the time) with the Rega PSU & 24V High Performance Motor upgrade. I had also upgraded to a Tangospinner sub-plata, premium brass pulley & feet. I've also upgraded all the belts to a higher quality than the standard & had the Incognito tonearm cable kit installed, as well as a Groovetracer Counterweight.

 

For the rest which i will be keeping, I am sporting a pair of Zu Soul Supremes, Pathos Twin Tower amp & a DynaVector MKIII phono. What suggestions of TT and cartridge should I be looking at to match with this? My budget will be whatever i can sell my RP3+PSU for + an additional $2,000 -3,500k )including stylus. (if anyone has an opinion on what i should sell this form i am all ears)

 

I recall hearing the ClearAudio suggested previously. I've also seen some interesting Pear ones around too. Any advice someone can pass on here would be fantastic & I would be very grateful for any advice. When i purchased my Amp & speakers previously i did this same progress and you all were fantastic with your outgoing advice - so thank you all in advance for anything you can offer.

 

 

Edited by RaoulJuke
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest a Technics 1200GR with a Dynavector DV-20X2.

 

The cart will work well with your phono stage and the Technics will last forever and sound great in  doing so. If budget allows I strongly recommend the new DV P75 MkIV as it is simply superb and a huge leap in quality from the older DV stages.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rantan said:

I would suggest a Technics 1200GR with a Dynavector DV-20X2.

 

The cart will work well with your phono stage and the Technics will last forever and sound great in  doing so. If budget allows I strongly recommend the new DV P75 MkIV as it is simply superb and a huge leap in quality from the older DV stages.

 

Thanks Rantan, the MKIV - any idea what they go for? Googled but no price on the website

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a side note, I will likely prefer to buy secondhand as i know the the value to dollar stretches further & tbh the customer service i got on my previous "new" purchase was real ordinary & saw little to no reason to spend the extra bucks on a new item, unfortunately. 

Edited by RaoulJuke
Link to post
Share on other sites


35 minutes ago, RaoulJuke said:

 

Thanks Rantan, the MKIV - any idea what they go for? Googled but no price on the website

 

Happy to help.

 

The RRP on the DV 74 Mk IV is $1249 but perhaps with some negotiations perhaps to around $1150.

 

Trust me on this it is money hugely well spent.

 

I have had one for about three months now and the SQ has taken a quantum leap, especially in partnership with the D-V20X2 cart and the PE (phono enhancing) circuit of the P75.

https://recordclean.com.au/dynavector-p-75-mk4--phono-preamplifier.html

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearaudio are good, but come with a drawback that the magnetic tonearm bearing is a bit fiddly in terms of accommodating non-CA carts. So if you’re happy to stick with CA carts (if I recall the entry level is basically an AT95E in different clothes), then they’re excellent tables and aesthetically beautiful IMO. If you want flexibility in terms of arms/carts etc in the future, then I’d go with something else TBH.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RNWau said:

Clearaudio are good, but come with a drawback that the magnetic tonearm bearing is a bit fiddly in terms of accommodating non-CA carts. So if you’re happy to stick with CA carts (if I recall the entry level is basically an AT95E in different clothes), then they’re excellent tables and aesthetically beautiful IMO. If you want flexibility in terms of arms/carts etc in the future, then I’d go with something else TBH.

 

Wasn't aware of that. Forgotten how much of a learning curve there is on this stuff to make sure it all goes together nicely. Lucky im not in a rush!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RaoulJuke said:

 

Wasn't aware of that. Forgotten how much of a learning curve there is on this stuff to make sure it all goes together nicely. Lucky im not in a rush!

 

All part of the journey, right?

 

I've always had the view that whatever prompts you to buy more music and listen to more music is the right choice :)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...