WTB: First Watt amplifier or Pass Labs

Item: First Watt amplifier
Price Range: negotiable
Item Condition:  Used
Extra Info: will be interested in J2, F7,M2, F6,F5 and also pass lab xa25

Edited by andrei

Maybe try building one as I did, I built an M2X. It was my first power amp build.

Sounds awesome.

5 minutes ago, Batty said:

Maybe try building one as I did, I built an M2X. It was my first power amp build.

Sounds awesome.

Are they fussy with matching Tube Pres?.. Some of Nelson Pass amps have 10,000 ohm input imp, and I was concerned my 600 ohm output Tube Preamp may not match? 

I use an Elekit TU8500 valve pre.

Edited by Batty
  • Like 1

• andrei changed the title to WTB: First Watt amplifier or Pass Lab

• andrei changed the title to WTB: First Watt amplifier or Pass Labs
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a First Watt FJ2 which I'll be selling once my, being upgraded, valve amp arrives from the UK.

It's a voltage In / current out amplifier so only really suitable for single-driver speakers (which is what I have).

However It's a 10K input Impedance and doesn't work well with a Dave Slagle or

Towshend Allegri AVC.

My Tom Evans Vibe (30 ohm output Z) drives it very well and you can hear the difference.

The AVCs sound a bit 'rolled off' at the frequency extremes and are not as dynamic as the Vibe.

This may well be the lowish input Z of the FJ2 so I think you are right to be wary of any amps

with lowish input Z.

My Yamamoto Amp with an input Z of 100K ohms is a better match with the AVCs.

Hope that helps.

You interested in an F3?
I sold one here a while ago, took it back for repairs, and ended up buying it back.

Up and running - it's a seriously heavy beast though, and it doesn't like to travel ... So ... probably not very helpful to you

I see it has already been mentioned but why not build one or get someone to build one for you? 

There are some very talented people here that may be happy to help and there are currently First Watt F6 clone kits available on DIY Audio store. I ordered one this morning :)

My M2x build cost around $1500, the chassis was the most expensive part followed by the transformer.

Well worth it though.