Black Diamond nude elliptical

I just received a couple of new styluses.   There has been talk for some time about these cheaper nude ellipticals hitting the market.  Apparently available from different suppliers, such as EVG.  These are Analogis Black Diamond brand.

They are square shank nude diamonds.  I got two, one for my AT3600 carts and one for AT95 carts.  Just looked at the AT3600 one under the microscope - pictures below.  Will plug it in  for a listen next.

PHO00094.jpg.bec4f485f773a19fe3f8cb1035fb72d2.jpgPHO00091.jpg.8f6b26b2e29f5334406dfbd43385217d.jpg

PHO00087.jpg.794a146b80096368be52c53b9986f2f7.jpg

• Like 2

First track report :)     After a quick realignment because I bumped the cartridge out of place :hmm: I dropped it on the first track.  Nice!  Clean and detailed sound.  First impression is it's better than the LP Gear elliptical - which has a few hours on it - so I must stick the old one under the microscope later.  A couple of photos - playing that first track, and the packaging they came in.   

I guess a quick plug is allowed,  I got these through @cafe latte.  I think I am going to be very happy with them.

2020-10-27_12-11-30.jpg.5b4ea343416547fe43ad2609beb0222a.jpg

2020-10-27_11-37-50.jpg.cbc62adc688ddc8e39d8d745960ba47b.jpg

Edited by aussievintage
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ian McP said:

Thanks for that link.

Interesting observations on the one I am listening to know

"Test Audio Technica ATN 3651 E green (AUDIO TECHNICA ATN 91, ATN 3600 L, DUAL DN 235, DUAL DN 239):
In terms of sound, it is far more “tidy” in the vocal range than the original needle, the stage is more clearly depicted and the bass range gains in precision."

That's compared to the original which is of course, a 0.6 mil conical.    

One record side finished as I type.  Time to flip the record....

Edited by aussievintage

Just checked the old stylus that I am comparing this new one too.   It's from LP Gear, and you can see it's the fake elliptical type that uses a flat cut to approximate the elliptical shape.  You can also see it is a carbon fibre cantilever.   

Doesn't look worn.  I guess the improvement I think I am hearing is due to the shape and cantilever material.  I'm betting it's more to do with the shape.

PHO00001.jpg.5ec0553cb7d88faeb132c209acc14bb7.jpg

So,  after an afternoon of constantly spinning a variety of stuff, no doubt this is a NICE stylus.   

Some reviews I read talked about the detail.  Yes, detail is very good.  It reproduces triangles and hard attack high piano notes,  xylophone notes, and drum rattles,  very realistically with no smearing.   

Some reviews talked about bass definition.  Maybe.    I played a Telarc recording of a Church organ, and the low notes were pure and full, until, in typical Telarc fashion they pushed it too far, and the AT3600 with new stylus struggled. Low cello notes were clean, as was double bass.

In summary, I stay with my initial impression - clean and detailed.  Better than I had hoped.  Some of the detail reminded me of the first time I listened to a micro-line/ridge stylus.  Not too shabby for a low-end stylus.

• Like 2

On 27/10/2020 at 12:22 PM, aussievintage said:

First track report :)     After a quick realignment because I bumped the cartridge out of place :hmm: I dropped it on the first track.  Nice!  Clean and detailed sound.  First impression is it's better than the LP Gear elliptical - which has a few hours on it - so I must stick the old one under the microscope later.  A couple of photos - playing that first track, and the packaging they came in.   

I guess a quick plug is allowed,  I got these through @cafe latte.  I think I am going to be very happy with them.

2020-10-27_12-11-30.jpg.5b4ea343416547fe43ad2609beb0222a.jpg

2020-10-27_11-37-50.jpg.cbc62adc688ddc8e39d8d745960ba47b.jpg

I love these stylus, only issue is QC is a bit poor and some are coming miss aligned so I am opening everything and having to check every one under microscope. They tell me that they have sorted the issues but we will see, I will keep checking everything just to be sure.

I really like the AT3600 one, also the AT95 one is great, much smoother highs than the original AT95e.

Love to hear you review of these stylus :)

Chris

• Like 1

On 30/10/2020 at 2:17 PM, wasabijim said:

@cafe latte

any ATN 12 EX on hand? 

No, but I have an order waiting to leave this week. ATN 12XE (typo I guess on the list) is showing as in stock if you like I will add some to my order?

Let me know my email is allclearaudio@gmail.com.

Chris

Edited by cafe latte
  • Like 1

OK, I have given it a good long time and many records.  I am prepared to render my own final verdict on these new styluses. 

They are good enough,   but I mean that in a super positive way.  I mean that they are good enough that I doubt I can justify throwing money at microline/microridge styluses, the cheapest of which is about $300.    At about $60, these styluses are doing virtually the same good job.

How?   I don't know.  I have not experienced a properly ground nude elliptical before.  Previous ellipticals I have tried, have all been those conicals with the flats ground in them, that they call elliptical.  Something about these true ellipticals seems to easily exceed those types in extracting fine detail and avoiding IGD.   

So when it comes time to replace my styluses, I hope these Black Diamonds are still on the market.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...