My Mofi Ultradeck turntable tale.

In may I bought a MOFI Ultradeck with Mastertracker. In the intervieeening months it started developing issues. Firstly the dust cover didn't have rubber stoppers as it should. The finish on the outside of the desk was inconsistent and started flaking off. I had motor noise. It was setup properly either. The corner of the front was bent. So I sent it back after a few weeks they sent me a brand new deck.

Here is where it gets interesting. This ultra deck is night and day better than the first. Everything is tighter, tolerances are perfect. Everything fits better. The tonearm is more fluid. Motor noise is now non existent , no hum . So I was in communication with MOFI in the states through this. My new deck is like a ultradeck V2, it has many improvements , including the ones mentioned. So if anyone is considering buy a MOFI try to get a later manufactured one, they are so so much better. I think my new one sounds better to. It was quite a task to get this swapped during lockdown, but I am glad I did. At its price point it should be perfect and now I am happy to say it finally is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I bought and waited for later (u/d and m/t) unit than buy a “older” shop demo for a good price.  It was my understanding that rubber “feet” on the dust cover appeared on later models 🤔

although its expensive , i also bought the Mofi weight which I find makes a positive effect on the sound. 

3 hours ago, cafe67 said:

I bought and waited for later (u/d and m/t) unit than buy a “older” shop demo for a good price.  It was my understanding that rubber “feet” on the dust cover appeared on later models 🤔

although its expensive , i also bought the Mofi weight which I find makes a positive effect on the sound. 

My original didn't have the feet and it scratched the finish off, my new later one , the finish the tolerances are so so much better, although it was distressing how the original didn't live unto expectations, the fact they gave me a new one more than made up for it. its frankly a far better deck than what I had.

There are a few TT brands out there that have a bit of hit and miss in build quality, but when you get a good ‘un, it’s worth it!

2 hours ago, RNWau said:

There are a few TT brands out there that have a bit of hit and miss in build quality, but when you get a good ‘un, it’s worth it!

true just unfortunate my first stab at the ultra deck was a bit underwhelming though, the new one is perfect in everyday though, it literally is like a v2. everything that was wrong in my first example is 100% correct here. kudos to mofi for looking after me.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Added IsoAcoustic ISO-pucks to my U/D today. But more substantial than the HRS feet - though I didn’t  have complaints about them. The bass seems to “tightened” up a bit. 

D2483EFD-59AB-49B4-8972-340EC1188D9D.jpeg

5798CBCA-C168-4DE5-A0AD-8B927804A9C8.jpeg

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Added IsoAcoustic ISO-pucks to my U/D today. But more substantial than the HRS feet - though I didn’t  have complaints about them. The bass seems to “tightened” up a bit. 

D2483EFD-59AB-49B4-8972-340EC1188D9D.jpeg

5798CBCA-C168-4DE5-A0AD-8B927804A9C8.jpeg

interesting move, doesn't not having height adjustability present issues.

58 minutes ago, grorr76 said:

interesting move, doesn't not having height adjustability present issues.

Doesn’t seem , the rack has plenty of adjustability 

1 hour ago, cafe67 said:

Doesn’t seem , the rack has plenty of adjustability 

Beer coasters work well ! 😉

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, evil c said:

Beer coasters work well ! 😉

mini golden books work even better - similar size, the harder carboard gives better bass control - beer coasters are a little soft and sound it.       pull all the pages out and use as required. :)

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, metal beat said:

mini golden books work even better - similar size, the harder carboard gives better bass control - beer coasters are a little soft and sound it.       pull all the pages out and use as required. :)

But after a few beer soaks, when dry they're much firmer! 😉

Seriously,  I have a lot of respect for the MOFI Ultradecks - heard them a few times and outstanding performance!

I used IsoAcoustics Orea feet under my ole Linn Hybrid deck and worked well.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By don76
      Item Condition: Sealed Mint Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: St Kilda State: VIC Payment Method: Direct Deposit, Paypal, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Further information:

Sealed. Numbered. Out of Print.
      Clean edges, sharp corners, pristine copy.
      These are only going up in price.
      Grab a mint copy before they follow "B*tches Brew" into the stratosphere....

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved
    • By BWJA
      Item Condition: Mint condition Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Seddon 3011 State: VIC Payment Method: Paypal Reason for selling: Updated to a new TT Further information:
      The turntable features an S-shaped tonearm with adjustable tracking force and an AT-HS6 universal ½”-mount headshell with an Ortofon 2M Black MM Cartridge. 

Key Features:
      - High-fidelity audio with Bluetooth wireless technology
      - 33, 45 & 78 RPM Fully manual, direct-drive operation
      - Built-in switchable phono pre-amp
      - Adjustable dynamic anti-skate control
      - Professional-grade anti-resonance, die-cast aluminium platter with felt mat
      - Stroboscopic platter with speed indicator
      - Variable pitch control with quartz speed lock
      - Removable target light for easier cueing in low light
      - Balanced S-shaped tonearm with hydraulically damped lift control and lockable rest
      - Convert your vinyl records to digital audio files with USB connection to your computer
      - Connects wirelessly to speakers and other devices with Bluetooth wireless technology
      - Fitted Ortofon 2M Black moving magnet cartridge

The cartridge is only 2 weeks old and only had 10 hours playtime, cartridge has full packaging and receipt.
      Dust cover for the TT is also included.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By Brian_S
      Item Condition: Near perfect Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Red Hill South State: VIC Payment Method: Paypal +3%, Cash on pickup, EFT Reason for selling: Upgraded to LP12 Further information:

It’s time to let this baby go to a new home. I really love this turntable but now that I have my (way more expensive) LP12 properly set up and upgraded, it just can’t quite compete.
      But that’s not a shortcoming, it’s just a fact of hifi life....
      At it’s price point I don’t believe that the RP6 had many (if any) real challengers.
      This unit has been upgraded with the Groovetracer bearing and sub platter, and has an Edwards Audio Little (Blue) Belter drive belt installed – both mods made a significant improvement to the original sound (that was already very very good).
      I’ve also included an unused (still packaged) Rega white belt, as well as the original Rega black belt.
      The Exact cart (factory fitted) has approx 250 hours on it and performs perfectly.
      The PSU has just been service checked by Andrew at Hifi Restorations in Melbourne and provides 33 and 45 RPM speed selection instantaneously at the push of a button.
      Everything is in near new condition with the exception of the clear cover that has some very small barely visible scuff marks.
      I make it a practice to retain all OEM packaging and service manuals, so the RP6 will be boxed as it was when it left the shop. For the buyer’s peace of mind I will forward photos of the packing process prior to shipment / pickup.
      I originally purchased this from Lintone Audio in the UK, so the 230V – 24V AC adapter has a UK plug. I’ve included an Aus/UK plug adapter in the package. It runs faultlessly on Australian mains power.
      Pickup is available but unfortunately auditioning is not.

Sale price includes donation to SNA.

Photos:

PLEASE READ

• By don76
      Item Condition: Sealed Mint Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: St Kilda State: VIC Payment Method: Direct Deposit, Paypal, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Further information:

Sealed Mint.
      Limited numbered edition - this copy is Number #8341.
      Long out of Print - this 3 x LP, 45rpm Box Set is the crown jewel in Mofi's Dylan reissue program.
      Will be packaged with the utmost care by an experienced seller.
      Pick up in St Kilda available, but that will be cash only.
      Reply here and then message me.
      Check my other listings.

Photos:

PLEASE READ

• By don76
      Item Condition: Mint/VG+ Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: St Kilda State: VIC Payment Method: Paypal, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Further information:

This was bought sealed new but arrived with Seam Splits - please see pics.
      I opened it to inspect, and photograph splits. The record is mint and unplayed, I have removed it from jacket to prevent further damage.
      This is a rare, numbered edition, that is Out of Print. New copies regularly sell for 3 x times this price, grab this for cheap with blemishes you'd hardly notice.

Photos:

PLEASE READ