Rewiring the SMEV tone arm.

I have just completed a rewire on my SMEV tone arm, I used Van Den MC Hul 150S cable, I removed the din plug and replaced it with a new piece I machined up, I used 1.2mm braided shield with a thin flexible inner liner, the cable goes from the phono plugs to the cartridge terminals without a break, this is the arm in the jig I made to hold it with a mock up of the braided outer cover with the phono plugs in the position as on the turntable,  The arm itself is easily removed by taking of the bridge and then the 2  socket head cap screws that holds the arm to the cross shaft, there are no changes to the bearing settings as this is done before the arm and the bridge are fitted. The jig does not show the support that holds the arm in line with the bearing assembly when carrying out the wire installation. the braid is grounded at the phono plug end, I found 2 dry solder joints at the din plug at the bottom of the arm, It is now fitted to my Pink Triangle turntable and was a worthwhile upgrade. If any one is interested in doing this themselves, feel free to contact me.

P9290057s.jpg

• Like 6

I found the van den hul 150s prone to RF when fitted to my Eminent Technology ET2.

Went back to a pure copper silk litz, which had better midrange, and no RF.

55 minutes ago, 12ax7b said:

I found the van den hul 150s prone to RF when fitted to my Eminent Technology ET2.

Went back to a pure copper silk litz, which had better midrange, and no RF.

Mine has no issues as it is shielded correctly. it is actually quieter than the original cable and sounds better than the original cable..

Marginally off topic, but Arthur Khoubessarian is a genius. I recently swapped out for a Funk Firm LSD and it is absolutely superb running F5 tonearm with a Sumiko Amethyst on the end. I’ve never heard a Pink Triangle before...I presume similarly boxes way above its weight?

58 minutes ago, RNWau said:

Marginally off topic, but Arthur Khoubessarian is a genius. I recently swapped out for a Funk Firm LSD and it is absolutely superb running F5 tonearm with a Sumiko Amethyst on the end. I’ve never heard a Pink Triangle before...I presume similarly boxes way above its weight?

It is a Anniversary, the final development of line. it sounds excellent and sounds far more neutral without color or harshness than a Linn. the wiring has made an excellent improvement.

P7230012s.jpg

I got my Annie back in ‘92 and some minor fettling aside it has been a great platform for all types of music, currently using it with a SMEV/Ortofon A90 combination.

Always wondered if the arm cable etc could be improved upon, maybe even a WBT termination plugs attached to a more substantial post on the back of the turntable.

Regarding AK: good bloke who now has the name of Pink Triangle again back under his control, last time I spoke to him, must be 12-15 years ago he mentioned an Anniversary II so who knows...?

He did turn up at the Munich show a couple of years ago with a prototype super deck.

True Point Audio based in the U.K. are great for repairs and spare parts, often better than the original components, a cursory look at their website shows the Anniversary inspired Big Pink Thing turntable which Charles Melling of TPA offers at a very reasonable price.

They also supply new motors, PSUs, arm boards, clamps as well as the vector drive for other Pink Triangle turntables.

7 hours ago, Stuartypoorty said:

I got my Annie back in ‘92 and some minor fettling aside it has been a great platform for all types of music, currently using it with a SMEV/Ortofon A90 combination.

Always wondered if the arm cable etc could be improved upon, maybe even a WBT termination plugs attached to a more substantial post on the back of the turntable.

Regarding AK: good bloke who now has the name of Pink Triangle again back under his control, last time I spoke to him, must be 12-15 years ago he mentioned an Anniversary II so who knows...?

He did turn up at the Munich show a couple of years ago with a prototype super deck.

True Point Audio based in the U.K. are great for repairs and spare parts, often better than the original components, a cursory look at their website shows the Anniversary inspired Big Pink Thing turntable which Charles Melling of TPA offers at a very reasonable price.

They also supply new motors, PSUs, arm boards, clamps as well as the vector drive for other Pink Triangle turntables.

I just had the bearing rebuilt by Charlies after 32 years of operation, he did a great job, I also bought one of his light weight arm boards and a set of springs, I gave the old girl a complete birthday and it is sounding fantastic.