Late seventies / early eighties suggestions

I picked up this bad boy last week, just loved the look of it (a marantz SD4000 cassette deck).  I'm not much into analog VU meters and the style of the digital ones on this thing I really like.  Basic sony DVD player and an analog Denon A/V receiver make up the rest of this system.  In this system I also have a Technics SL1400 Mk2 which is a similar colour / not the exact same style but similar enough that they work well together visually.  Speakers I switch between a couple of different bookshelf speakers from the 1980s.

Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Denon as a two channel amp, it has a processor defeat switch, made in Malaysia or somewhere non Japan and isn't hideous and having a subwoofer out is great.  However, it just isn't cutting it on the aesthetic front.

I I went nuts and looked for a period integrated amplifier (or amp + tuner) I've seen a couple of Marantz SR4000 on Ebay that would be a perfect match but the internet seems to think that sonically they aren't quite up to snuff (could just be hifi snobs still miffed about Philips buying Marantz, not sure).

Anywhoo, the other amps of a similar period would appear to be a bit of a minefield and I am a bit lost in working out what was good or bad from the era.

Prefer something:  Japanese made, phono/aux/cassette minimum, more inputs the better.  30W/channel probably wouldn't be enough (system has to crank occasionally driving 4 speakers).  The aesthetic I'm looking for is polished aluminium/champagne and fun details (bonus points for a wacky font like the Marantz).  I like that warm seventies sound but I don't want tubes.  Bonus if it can be picked up for around the $500 mark.

marantz_sd4000.jpg

• Like 1

There should be several older vintage amp posts in the forum to search, but keep an eye out in the classifieds here and Gumtree for some good looking amps and google the models to find out more about them. Many classics like Sansui, Luxman, Accuphase etc. Allow for some potential maintenance as these are around 40-50 years old or get one that has already been maintained and serviced.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Old Man Rubber said:

Anywhoo, the other amps of a similar period would appear to be a bit of a minefield and I am a bit lost in working out what was good or bad from the era.

The Marantz SR4000 looks like a good option. I note that some of these Marantz models use output transistors in an STK module that could be be harder to replace if you ever needed one. It's worth budgeting for a service. Some relevant discussion here: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/vintage-1980-marantz-sr-4000-classic-marantz.805563/

Finding those amps or receivers without any blemishes or scratches is another challenge, and I think it would be a struggle to get replacement parts like faceplates and knobs. It's very reasonable to be fussy about the aesthetics here because the looks are so amazing when they're in good shape. OTOH you'd pay less for something that's a bit scruffy.

• Like 1

Yeah good points - will try to avoid anything missing a knob for example, I don't mind the odd scratch or whatever but if half the screen printing on the faceplate is missing it kinda misses the point for me.

Got a line on a Kenwood KR-4010 that might suit me - sufficient brand quality reputation to be interesting, kinda fits with the eclectic mix of gear, may be a bit underpowered at 35wpc and doesn't have many inputs so would have to be paired with an audio switcher.  Has been serviced by my usual service guy so I know it is in good nick.  The $400-$500 ask for a Marantz SR4000 seems a tad over the top in comparison ($75 is what this guy wants for the Kenwood locally, it's in lovely shape too).

There was a Sansui 2200 within driving distance on Ebay but it's missing a knob, was $250 and only 10WPC - nope.

edit:  old mate dropped off the KR-4010 for an audition.  I'm keeping it, it sounds beautiful, plenty of power to drive my wacky speaker setup, lovely tone.  Will have to organise an audio switcher of some sort for all the digital stuff but hot damn just look at it 😍

kenwood_kr4010.jpg

Edited by Old Man Rubber
added details
  • Like 1