New house, existing HT Room.

Hi all, 

Just moved into a house, which had an existing HT room.

Room size: 5990x3400 (standard ceiling height)

100" fixed projector screen

old ceiling mounted 720p projector

My goal is to eventually go 7.1.2 or 7.1.4

My current budget is around $14k  (I don't want to buy budget to achieve 7.1.2, rather, add more as i go).

Below are the new components i'm looking at:

Revolution 120" Fixed Screen (Video Pro)

Epson TW-9400 (Video Pro)

Denon 3700H (Video Pro)

Klipsch KLR8000F fronts (Video Pro)

Klipsch KLRP504C Center (the big one) (Video Pro)

I'd like to add rears from my stash below and some atmos fronts either new or from below

1x Sub from below or new

I'l like to try and reuse some of what i have:

2x Dali concept 1 rear bookshelf speakers (for rears?)

1x Dali concept 1 center (cant really use this now as it wont match fronts LR)

2x Edifier Bookshelf speakers (atmos fronts?)

12" Legend powered Sub sealed (old but works, not used much)

10" Yamaha powered Sub (3 years old)

In terms of wiring, its a two story house, so adding wires might be an issue, there are already 2 runs for rears in the top left and right back of room and two at the top front left and right.

Any feedback is welcome.

-Peter

i will guess 2 just 1 row of seating?

i would go 2 subs using audyssey xt32 EQ them easily. so try what you have first but a warning.. the 10" yammy wont hack it. sell it and get another sub say svs/krix etc at the front and try the sealed behind your seating.. or look at things like this haha

2nd hand example:https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-electronics-computer/qld/osborn+subwoofer/k0c20045l3008841?sort=rank

screen depends on aspect ration. i would be projecting onto the wall for 2 weeks to find out size in relation to your seating and your eyes. content is important, movies, gaming, tv etc

many wont like klipsch and as a part user of their old gear they are way over priced in aust. i like horns for HT but krix make horns as well, have a look. the other thing imo is the need/expense for those 8" klipsch fronts. 60% is done by the centre so you could save money going to say the 6.5" klipsch fronts. the other thing is have you thought about an acoustic screen?

dont need to cost the earth https://www.classaaudio.com.au/projector-and-projector-screens/1654-visualax-120-fixed-frame-acoustic-transparent-projector-screen.html

another member has bought one and no problems that i know of. they have more on offer.

then you can buy 3 identical speakers behind the screen. that is the best arrangement for HT

Edited by hopefullguy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

i will guess 2 just 1 row of seating?

i would go 2 subs using audyssey xt32 EQ them easily. so try what you have first but a warning.. the 10" yammy wont hack it. sell it and get another sub say svs/krix etc at the front and try the sealed behind your seating.. or look at things like this haha

2nd hand example:https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-electronics-computer/qld/osborn+subwoofer/k0c20045l3008841?sort=rank

screen depends on aspect ration. i would be projecting onto the wall for 2 weeks to find out size in relation to your seating and your eyes. content is important, movies, gaming, tv etc

Yes just 1 row of seating.

I can use the yammy elsewhere in the house so no big deal.

As far as apsect ratio, yeah i was looking at 16:9, probably just movies and not sure yet if I'll use the room for PS4/PS5 gaming.

If i can get some more cabling through the walls then yes i'll try and hook up the 12" behind the couch, otherwise might be stuck with 2x12" at the front.

personally the yammy is for a tv room.

anyway if movies i seriously suggest looking at this sizing

https://www.classaaudio.com.au/projector-and-projector-screens/2327-visualax-125-fixed-frame-acoustic-transparent-projector-screen-2351.html

then when gaming it will mean a smaller visual at 16:9 but depending on seating distance gaming on too big a screen will cause eye strain (i know haha)

i am moving from a 125 16:9 screen to a 130" 2.35:1

Edited by hopefullguy

You'll need to factor in a new HDMI cable from the AVR to projector for 4K material. It may be easier to put the AVR etc at the rear of the room to make cable installation simpler. When installing HDMI cables in walls/ceiling avoid sharp turns - this can cause the cable to lose bandwidth (especially copper cables).

A good sparkie will be able to install speaker cables in a two storey house, but may need to make some small plaster cut-outs or remove skirting boards and use a router to slot the back of them for the cable.

Ensure your projector is securely mounted. Do not rely on plaster plugs, no matter what anyone says. Worst case, you may have to cut out some plaster and install some 18mm plywood between beams.

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1

but but its got "ACTIVE COPPER"

from a lot of reading many people try this cable, no question returns

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-10m-cohdmi100

or from member

https://www.ezyhd.com.au/

i use wooden wall plates even for solid brick/plaster walls.. as said DO NOT attach to gyprock itself.

11 minutes ago, phealey79 said:

I need roughly 8-10m HDMI cable run from AVR to Projector, video pro trying to sell me this one -https://www.kordz.com/prs3-active-copper , $312 seems excessive for a cable. Any of you know another cheaper brand that is certified for 8k 18Mbps?

The cable you linked to is only 18Gps rated, so not suited to 8K, but fine for 4K@60Hz, which is all you need. However, it's also copper rather fibre optic and tight bends are likely to degrade performance. I recommend a 10m Ruipro fibre optic cable for $249. Use the discount code RUI10 should get you 10% off. Note, do not use traditional wall plates with joins for 4K - it needs to be one continuous cable length - if you need a wall plate use a brush style plate (you might have to shop around if you want a black one).

• 3 weeks later...

get your room measured acoustically by a professional - most standard HT rooms are not built with acoustics in mind...the better ones are built with additional sound proofing/isolation, which can unfortunately degrade the "in room" sound, especially at the lower/bass end.

If you want to achieve great sound in your room, invest in a measurement rig (measurement mike, mike stand, and a laptop running REW software, which is free).

Once you have a measurement rig, professional remote measurement services become available.

IMHO getting your room's bass under control will make a spectacular difference to your "in room" sound - especially for movies with more low frequency content...boomy bass bouncing around the room is awful.

cheers

Mike