Hi Guys , Im looking for a receiver, for listening to music primarily . I stumbled upon a Yamaha rx-z1 for sale . It doesnt even have a HDMI port , so any digital must be sent through the optical ports. Should I buy it , since its quite cheap ? ... or skip it ?. Cheers . Emmany 

17 hours ago, emmany said:

Hi Guys , Im looking for a receiver, for listening to music primarily . I stumbled upon a Yamaha rx-z1 for sale . It doesnt even have a HDMI port , so any digital must be sent through the optical ports. Should I buy it , since its quite cheap ? ... or skip it ?. Cheers . Emmany 

make sure you get the remote or have access to a Harmony remote of some kind - a lot of those receivers can't be set up properly without it.  By default it might (say) expect a subwoofer to be attached when you just want to run it in stereo for example.

I quite like that era of receivers in a 2 way system, they have oodles of power and will drive just about anything.  Downside is the complexity although you should be able to completely switch out the DSP and use it in plain stereo mode.  The other downside is that when they develop a fault, it's usually hard/impossible to repair (especially if it's in one of the chips) - generally requires swapping out an entire board rather than getting a discrete component fixed.

double check your sources will put out digital over optical or coax - some new BD players don't have those outputs on them at all any more.

• 2 weeks later...

An all time classic the RXZ-1.  Super hefty heavy as it had a torroidal transfer.  Unfortunately no HDMI inputs and extra features of video processing and latest sound formats. 

A bit dated, but sound wise its a great punchy receiver at its time. 

regards

Michael