Replacement Silicone Fluid - KAB USA Tonearm Damper

I've decided to pull out a KAB factory SL1200 M5G i've had tucked away.

One of the mods on it is the KAB USA Tonearm damper. 

I need to fill up the trough, which takes a particular silicone fluid.

Any suggestions on what i should use? I've done a little googling and it seems anything from 30-100,000 CST Silicone is what i need. A post somewhere mentioned that 60,000 CST is what KAB uses.

Does it matter where i source this silicone from? Seems a little silly to send a syringe of it over all the way from the US (KAB).

Is this the same stuff?   https://predatorrc.com.au/silicone-diff-fluid-60000-factory-team-associated-p-4338.html

Appreciate any advice :)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, markielinhart said:

Could this fluid be used in the damper on my Sonab 67s? Since installing a Fidelity Research FR-1 mk2 my arm has to lowered by hand due to the extra cart weight.

(excuse the arrows in the pic...)

48052845-5BE2-4921-9870-AAA58B2C63A6.jpeg

From the quick bit of searching i did, the fluid required for a tonearm is different than what is used in a tonearm trough/damper.

The trough requires 60k CST whereas the fluid for the arm is higher, 300k-500k from memory.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wikeeboy said:

From the quick bit of searching i did, the fluid required for a tonearm is different than what is used in a tonearm trough/damper.

The trough requires 60k CST whereas the fluid for the arm is higher, 300k-500k from memory.

That would be my guess. I've used 300,000 and it worked fine (in a different cueing device though, but very similar looking). It's available in small jars (enough to last many centuries!) in radio control car shops.

@markielinhart if you can't find it near you let me know and I can send you enough for at least a century or two!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

That would be my guess. I've used 300,000 and it worked fine (in a different cueing device though, but very similar looking). It's available in small jars (enough to last many centuries!) in radio control car shops.

@markielinhart if you can't find it near you let me know and I can send you enough for at least a century or two!

Thank you, I’ll check what’s available in Ballarat - my shopping town.

Keep you um, posted...