A stray followed me home. VPI TNT.

How important is the speed control to you?  You could just get a new pulley made at the right size.  It's a 600 rpm motor, so you can calculate the ratio needed from the platter diameter.  Running the existing motor from a step-down, presuming it works.  Probably the cheapest option.  It'd be like many other fixed speed turntables, but of course using quality parts.

• Like 2
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The belts have arrived but I can’t seem to get the speed bang on. I think that it may be a 50hz pulley, maybe it wasn’t used with an SDS before. The SDS puts out 60hz, will wait for the new 300rpm mot

First real clean up and polish. I will remove the corner posts next to polish them properly. Has come up better than expected.

Another couple of pieces to the puzzle I picked up today. A big shout out to @Bisguittin for helping me with the files and PCI Laser cutting for the cutting and engraving. Fast turn around time, great

Even if it is a 115v motor it is still quite possible that (seeing that turntable was found in Australia) the pulley may already have been changed for the correct 50Hz one.

Best way would be to replace the motor and using the existing pulley check the speed.

In any case you'd only need to change the one pulley on the motor (not the other two) and a machine shop could easily make a new one from delrin or similar material.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Telecine said:

You could spend a lot of time and money trying to track down the missing parts second-hand.

Spot on.  👍👍👍

I'm going through this myself and 3 years later I still have no functional turntable. Finding the elephant feet and suspension inserts used are a killer for me. I have the Mk 3 spring inserts and full TNT Jr 4 x corner post/feet set. Also, I have the full tri-pulley system. Stillpoints Ultra 5'S work for the feet but the spring inserts are less than ideal for the suspension system but great for levelling the table.

Dave's TT also requires an armboard. He can ditch the tri-pulley for the moment.

• Like 2

You should do it in a few stages, get it going first, it's going to be awesome anyway, platter bearing and motor are the critical parts, Feet suspension are just icing on the cake.

You can make an arm board easily (i can show you some basic woodwork skills to get you going😀)

You can easily get the feet that are there supported and make it look good.

I've got arms and cartridges here not being used that would work well, and a phono stage you can borrow.

Someone else said you can bypass the 3 pulley system so do that till they turn up second hand.

Find a suitable belt, i have a couple you could try, looking at the pulley they look like the flat design.

I have a step down transformer you can use to try the speed.

There is an app on the phone that will check it's accuracy.

You could be spinning vinyl in a few hours and enjoying it while you take your time to locate all the other bits. 

Let me know if you need to borrow a few things or need a hand with anything.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Bisguittin said:

Can we laser-cut an armboard?

Yes - great suggestion. The only thing is the armboard internal cut-out is also dependent on the type of tonearm that will be used with the TT. VPI offered 3 types of armboards: 1) VPI JMW; 2) Graham Eng; and 3) SME tonearms.

I can share a few images of TNT armboards sold in the past in the hope they can be CAD drawn and laser cut. Otherwise, we can wait for any second hand ones that come up. None on hifishark at the moment.

Edited by xlr8or

@Pops110 Can you confirm if the long levelling screws are still positioned inside the corner posts in the small centre holes looking from the top - they should have an Allen key head?

Edited by xlr8or

I had a new acrylic armboard made up for my TNT-2 and it looks like it came out of the factory.

It can be drilled for whatever tonearm you like.

I made one up out of craftwood first and trial fitted it since the original dimensions would have been imperial and I calculated it with metric measurements.

If it is the same as mine, which the photo suggests, yours will be Width 100mm x Length 278mm x Thickness 14mm, is this correct?

I was told that trying to polish black acrylic would end in tears, it seems that perhaps others have had a different positive experience in this respect.

Any suggestions as to how? (I'll experiment with the brasso suggestion)

There should be a circuit in the motor housing, if it has a 500 ohm resistor in there it may have been used for 240 volts with the existing motor.

There is sure to be someone with more expertise than I to explain clearly how that can be the case.

A speed controller is the way to go. The VPI SDS has 240 volts input but the output for the motor is 115 volts, so the motor you have would be fine if using an SDS.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, russell66 said:

You should do it in a few stages, get it going first, it's going to be awesome anyway, platter bearing and motor are the critical parts, Feet suspension are just icing on the cake.

You can make an arm board easily (i can show you some basic woodwork skills to get you going😀)

You can easily get the feet that are there supported and make it look good.

I've got arms and cartridges here not being used that would work well, and a phono stage you can borrow.

Someone else said you can bypass the 3 pulley system so do that till they turn up second hand.

Find a suitable belt, i have a couple you could try, looking at the pulley they look like the flat design.

I have a step down transformer you can use to try the speed.

There is an app on the phone that will check it's accuracy.

You could be spinning vinyl in a few hours and enjoying it while you take your time to locate all the other bits. 

Let me know if you need to borrow a few things or need a hand with anything.

Thanks mate, that’s a really good offer and I may take you up on it. I will get the motor sorted first then go from there. 

2 hours ago, xlr8or said:

Yes - great suggestion. The only thing is the armboard internal cut-out is also dependent on the type of tonearm that will be used with the TT. VPI offered 3 types of armboards: 1) VPI JMW; 2) Graham Eng; and 3) SME tonearms.

I can share a few images of TNT armboards sold in the past in the hope they can be CAD drawn and laser cut. Otherwise, we can wait for any second hand ones that come up. None on hifishark at the moment.

1 hour ago, xlr8or said:

@Pops110 Can you confirm if the long levelling screws are still positioned inside the corner posts in the small centre holes looking from the top - they should have an Allen key head?

15 minutes ago, Alphason said:

I had a new acrylic armboard made up for my TNT-2 and it looks like it came out of the factory.

It can be drilled for whatever tonearm you like.

I made one up out of craftwood first and trial fitted it since the original dimensions would have been imperial and I calculated it with metric measurements.

If it is the same as mine, which the photo suggests, yours will be Width 100mm x Length 278mm x Thickness 14mm, is this correct?

I was told that trying to polish black acrylic would end in tears, it seems that perhaps others have had a different positive experience in this respect.

Any suggestions as to how? (I'll experiment with the brasso suggestion)

There should be a circuit in the motor housing, if it has a 500 ohm resistor in there it may have been used for 240 volts with the existing motor.

There is sure to be someone with more expertise than I to explain clearly how that can be the case.

A speed controller is the way to go. The VPI SDS has 240 volts input but the output for the motor is 115 volts, so the motor you have would be fine if using an SDS.

It would be really great to get a tonearm board laser cut from acrylic. Cost effective and could get a couple made at the same time. I would imagin that I will have to settle for a cheaper tonearm to begin with due to budget constraints. A few pics and more info would be great, I’ll measure the cutout tomorrow.

I will pull the bottom off the motor housing tomorrow and have a look.

I think trying to track down an SDS would be the best option.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, klackto said:

Even if it is a 115v motor it is still quite possible that (seeing that turntable was found in Australia) the pulley may already have been changed for the correct 50Hz one.

Best way would be to replace the motor and using the existing pulley check the speed.

In any case you'd only need to change the one pulley on the motor (not the other two) and a machine shop could easily make a new one from delrin or similar material.

The pulley looks different from others I’ve seen online so you may be correct. 

14 hours ago, Telecine said:

You are going to need a speed controller. VPI options sold over time were the PLC speed controller, SDS speed controller or the new ADS speed controller.

A step down transformer may work.

There are a few third party options available but that is probably a different discussion.

Yeah I see there are some other options like SOTA I think but probably would prefer to use the original motor housin so then I would need the  PLC or SDS. Just need to find one.

What would be everyone’s thoughts on using a Jelco 12inch tonearm? I’m trying to keep the costs down so I can actually get it up and going again.

As I was told yesterday, it may have been a great find but not so good a project. The cost to get it up and running could outweigh the actual value of the deck.

I do have a few leads on some of the parts I need. 🤞

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Pops110 said:

What would be everyone’s thoughts on using a Jelco 12inch tonearm? I’m trying to keep the costs down so I can actually get it up and going again.

As I was told yesterday, it may have been a great find but not so good a project. The cost to get it up and running could outweigh the actual value of the deck.

I do have a few leads on some of the parts I need. 🤞

I tend to agree with that assessment. I'm not sure that you would fit a 12 inch Jelco arm on that deck.

Edited by Telecine
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

I was recommended to get a 12 inch arm. I really don’t know, is there an arm you can recommend that’s not going to break the bank. 

I am on an even cheaper budget,  but still wanted a 12" arm.  Haven't found one.  I am still using a vintage B&O 9" arm, but it is performing well

• Like 1

The jello arms are excellent products, and there’s not much point wondering about the ones in the stratosphere, price wise, when you are living down on earth. Whilst they are no longer made, they are still available online from a few places.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Juzbear said:

The jello arms are excellent products, and there’s not much point wondering about the ones in the stratosphere, price wise, when you are living down on earth. Whilst they are no longer made, they are still available online from a few places.

Would the jello arms be a little floppy. 😁
I think you’re probably right there mate, get what I can afford for now.

Edited by Pops110
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

There is an SDS on ebay, they don't come up very often.

The price is a bit less then I have seen them advertised for before.

Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=vpi+turntable&_sop=12

The armboard would have to be extended at the rear to accomodate a 12" arm, I think it could be done though.

I fitted a 9" VPI memorial arm to mine, a 10" arm would fit equally well.

Here is a photo of mine with the 9" arm and the armboard that I had made.

The armboard is held by cap bolts from underneath.

I think that it is a worthwhile project.

VPI_Tonearm.JPG

1 hour ago, Alphason said:

The armboard would have to be extended at the rear to accomodate a 12" arm, I think it could be done though.

VPI_Tonearm.JPG

I have seen that one, cheers. I’m talking to somebody else about one, they might also have a few other bits and pieces as well.

I was told that preferably a 12 inch arm would be best for this deck and would have no problems fitting. Soon find out I suppose. 😃

A little diy project.

TNT V, HW19

SDS

SAMA

Corian top, densified resin ply bottom, sandwiched between stainless steel.

Note. Your spindle isn't the TNT V stainless steel type.

FB_IMG_1481068748574.jpg

FB_IMG_1481072620501.jpg

20190917_221150.jpg

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Pops110 said:

I have seen that one, cheers. I’m talking to somebody else about one, they might also have a few other bits and pieces as well.

I was told that preferably a 12 inch arm would be best for this deck and would have no problems fitting. Soon find out I suppose. 😃

Be careful with 12" tonearms ..... most won't fit on that turntable.

The VPI 12" arms are different as the pivot is on an outrigger of sorts so while the arm length is 12" the mounting distance is less.

• Like 1
On 25/10/2020 at 8:56 PM, Pops110 said:

It was found at the rubbish tip believe it or not. One of my mates from work was dropping a load of rubbish off and came across it. He went through everything and this was all that was there.

I have recurring dreams of such a thing happening to me.  Alas no luck so far....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, klackto said:

Be careful with 12" tonearms ..... most won't fit on that turntable.

The VPI 12" arms are different as the pivot is on an outrigger of sorts so while the arm length is 12" the mounting distance is less.

Yep just measured now and the 12 inch Jelco won’t work.

On 01/11/2020 at 7:54 AM, Telecine said:

I tend to agree with that assessment. I'm not sure that you would fit a 12 inch Jelco arm on that deck.

23 hours ago, Alphason said:

VPI_Tonearm.JPG

Yep the Jelco definitely won’t fit. I will wait till it gets here and see if it’s possible to fabricate a plate and armboard to make it work. 
The JMW arms are out of budget unfortunately, has anyone had any experience with the Helius designs tonearm?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Why not go with a Rega until you can afford something that will match the table?

It’s an option for sure. I probably won’t have it up and running till after Christmas at least so there are a few options in the pipeline that will match with the VPI better.

I have purchased an SDS and it’s on the way now.

I have also purchased some TNT springs, unfortunately without the feet. I plan on fabricating some feet for it when they get here.

1 hour ago, Pops110 said:

First real clean up and polish. I will remove the corner posts next to polish them properly. Has come up better than expected.

4D9889D5-60EE-4A17-831A-FC333F3836CE.thumb.jpeg.ad6844887a18bac8428493e125f8dd4d.jpeg04A75162-1632-41B2-AF3F-32284E1047D7.thumb.jpeg.33ea69d2610422b19d828e47a8366486.jpeg
C479068A-3A82-4D77-87E3-13C05CE49518.thumb.jpeg.af7c0be732f5d11d2839989a71c69e68.jpeg

Unbelievable result. Great work.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Telecine said:

Some ideas for you in relation to replacement feet:

http://www.vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6049

Thanks mate, I have had a look at that. Seems like a pretty decent option. I have got the springs and caps coming and some threaded rubber feet, I’m going to have a go at fabricating something to make it all work.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Thanks mate, I have had a look at that. Seems like a pretty decent option. I have got the springs and caps coming and some threaded rubber feet, I’m going to have a go at fabricating something to make it all work.

I'd recommend that you just remove the pulley system from the deck.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Telecine said:

I'd recommend that you just remove the pulley system from the deck.

Yep I think it’s the most viable option as the pulleys are unobtainable. I wish I could have got back to the tip because I’m sure that they would have been in the pile of rubbish somewhere.

• Like 1
Just now, Pops110 said:

Yep I think it’s the most viable option as the pulleys are unobtainable. I wish I could have got back to the tip because I’m sure that they would have been in the pile of rubbish somewhere.

They are noise inducing anyway, you are better of without them.

It would have been nice to find the feet and maybe the SDS speed controller though.

• Like 1

This is a beautiful thread. A spectacular find backed with superb support from the SNA crew. Hoping that you can get this back to its former glory. Very exciting stuff. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, unclemack said:

This is a beautiful thread. A spectacular find backed with superb support from the SNA crew. Hoping that you can get this back to its former glory. Very exciting stuff. 

It is isn’t it, so many members have reached out with offers of help.

Wont be quite back to it’s former glory, will have a few battle scars but it will make some noise again.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 09/11/2020 at 8:23 PM, Pops110 said:

It is isn’t it, so many members have reached out with offers of help.

Wont be quite back to it’s former glory, will have a few battle scars but it will make some noise again.

Yeah. But that’s ok isn’t it? As long as it can still make beautiful music. The rest we’ll call “character”.