A stray followed me home. VPI TNT.

I picked the feet up fromRichmond Wheel and Castor. They are 80mm with m12 thread anti vibration/ slip rubber feet.

I cut the thread down to suit. I had some 48mm steel tube laying around at home, cut that down to correct height and welded on 5mm plate, drilled a hole in the bottom to get over the bottom nut on the feet and used washers and a nut to fix them. Lots of grinding and linishing and then spray putty bog and paint to finish it off.

https://www.richmondau.com/product/levelr-fixed-foot-mild-steel-lvr8012100f-2/

Edited by Pops110
  • Like 4

This is hi-end stuff you're producing here Dave. It's a real credit to you because you've got to be across such a huge number of different things. Your dissatisfaction with some aspects of the feet, are something 100% of the rest of us will never pick up. I confidently expect this creature will produce some  exceptional music when it's ready to spin.

Edited by Bisguittin
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Bisguittin said:

This is hi-end stuff you're producing here Dave. It's a real credit to you because you've got to be across such a huge number of different things. Your dissatisfaction with some aspects of the feet, are something 100% of the rest of us will never pick up. I confidently expect this creature will produce some  exceptional music when it's ready to spin.

Thanks mate, you are right. Most people wouldn’t notice the imperfections and most aren’t seen. But I had a plan in my head for the feet and I got the shites on when it wasn’t working as planned. In the end I rushed things so not completely happy with them but I’m very happy overall with how it’s turned out. I also couldn’t have got it to where it is without your help.

The armboards have come up amazing and really make the table look like new. Setting up the uni pivot arm seemed a bit daunting but I think I’ve got my head around it and shouldn’t be too far away till I can give it its first run.

1 hour ago, xlr8or said:

@Pops110 I'll take your prototypes and you can build yourself another quad set. ???

Let me have a think about it mate.?

I would love to help you but I’m not sure I’m up to making some more just yet. I do have some ideas to make things easier though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, muzzagruzz said:

Hey Pops, may I ask where you picked up the older SDS from? The earlier one is better built than the current version. 

Great work to date on the VPI.  

Thank you sir.

I got the SDS from VAS Audio in the US. Steven was very helpful and shipping was very quick and it was very well boxed.

Edited by Pops110

• 2 weeks later...

It’s Alive.  ???????

Ive finally got it to the stage where I can play some tunes today. The new motor arrived last night and I’ve wired it up. There was a noise in the motor but I seemed to have got rid of that.

The latest problem was it didn’t arrive with a pulley. So no tunes last night. ?

I have bodged something up with my existing pulley so I could get some tunes flowing. It’s not ideal but it’s working enough until I get the new pulley.

Table now needs another clean and it’s done, lots of grubby fingerprints on it at the moment.

A big thanks to everyone who has helped and  offered advice along the way. It’s been a great journey so far. If there are any local TT gurus keen to pop in for a look and listen and hopefully offer some advice send me a pm. ?BCE63AF1-D14F-42A1-BD30-917FD99B657C.jpeg.27546e521c8a0d3d5c6da11ee786609c.jpeg7312E2F0-8E4C-4E7A-8F93-F7BF87183029.jpeg.52677be51e04f239303431b7364cc626.jpeg34ED7EBD-FDE3-406E-A49B-B0980EF3A7E0.jpeg.539c907aad5cfdba816852b690d3016c.jpeg

• Like 23

1 hour ago, Pops110 said:

It’s Alive.  ???????

Ive finally got it to the stage where I can play some tunes today. The new motor arrived last night and I’ve wired it up. There was a noise in the motor but I seemed to have got rid of that.

The latest problem was it didn’t arrive with a pulley. So no tunes last night. ?

I have bodged something up with my existing pulley so I could get some tunes flowing. It’s not ideal but it’s working enough until I get the new pulley.

Table now needs another clean and it’s done, lots of grubby fingerprints on it at the moment.

A big thanks to everyone who has helped and  offered advice along the way. It’s been a great journey so far. If there are any local TT gurus keen to pop in for a look and listen and hopefully offer some advice send me a pm. ?BCE63AF1-D14F-42A1-BD30-917FD99B657C.jpeg.27546e521c8a0d3d5c6da11ee786609c.jpeg7312E2F0-8E4C-4E7A-8F93-F7BF87183029.jpeg.52677be51e04f239303431b7364cc626.jpeg34ED7EBD-FDE3-406E-A49B-B0980EF3A7E0.jpeg.539c907aad5cfdba816852b690d3016c.jpeg

Looking good! Why is the motor so far away from the plinth?

Either the belt is to long or it’s going to be super tight

• Like 2

On 30/01/2021 at 5:13 PM, Pops110 said:

It’s Alive.  ???????

What a fantastic result so far Pops. I'm sooo envious .

Edited by Wimbo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

Looking good! Why is the motor so far away from the plinth?

Either the belt is to long or it’s going to be super tight

You’re right it is a little far away. As you can see my work around for the pulley is not ideal so had to make it a little tighter.

• Like 1

I ran a bath for the missus yesterday arvo and put on a few albums that we both like.

Laura Marling - Alas I cannot swim

Norah Jones - Feels like home.

She got out and thanked me and said it was sounding lovely. ? Then she sat down for another album.

Happy days when the boss is happy. ?

53D2E680-CAC0-40BF-BCAD-7BBACFEFD954.jpeg.ed57f7e212c165831d85950699021083.jpeg

• Like 15

Thanks mate, I am fairly happy. I’m picking up a bit of noise, not sure if crap pressings, static or setup?

It is sounding quite balanced, separation is good and it seems to have presence that my streaming doesn’t seem to. Scale of music is very good.

30 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Thanks mate, I am fairly happy. I’m picking up a bit of noise, not sure if crap pressings, static or setup?

It is sounding quite balanced, separation is good and it seems to have presence that my streaming doesn’t seem to. Scale of music is very good.

Depends on what type of noise?

It will be a bit of a learning curve but plenty of info and help available here.

• Like 2

Quite a lot of crackles and I suppose what you would call surface noise.

Most of the records I have played are new. I have cleaned them with a cheap record cleaner and have been using an AT sonic broom before each play.

Yep bit of a learning curve for sure but it’s been fun. Never, ever would I have imagined that I would own a TT of this caliber and one that is such a beast. I really love the look and style of it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pops110 said:

Quite a lot of crackles and I suppose what you would call surface noise.

Most of the records I have played are new. I have cleaned them with a cheap record cleaner and have been using an AT sonic broom before each play.

Yep bit of a learning curve for sure but it’s been fun. Never, ever would I have imagined that I would own a TT of this caliber and one that is such a beast. I really love the look and style of it.

For an affordable but effective cleaning solution I would recommend Tergikleen that has worked well for me.

The amazon page says they don't ship to Australia but they have before so you might just have to send them a message first.

https://www.facebook.com/tergikleen/

Make sure you clean your new records as well to get the anti-fungal gunk and manufacturing debris off them.

Saying that it's also important to note that not all records will be perfectly silent (including new ones) but it's something that you get used to and even some consider part of the charm of records.

I'm really glad you got a win and get to own this turntable, it looks stunning.

• Like 1

Just one small handy tip from me that came from Mikey at VPI many many moons ago about the cart's VTF on any VPI turntable and JMW combo. Regardless of cart used be sure to use the cart's maximum specified VTF limit + 0.1g, which in turn helps reduce noise and improves tracking. ???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xlr8or said:

Just one small handy tip from me that came from Mikey at VPI many many moons ago about the cart's VTF on any VPI turntable and JMW combo. Regardless of cart used be sure to use the cart's maximum specified VTF limit + 0.1g, which in turn helps reduce noise and improves tracking. ???

Umm, I think they say that due to most people setting the VTF to light due to it not being set at the same height as the playing surface. Crucial with all unipivots. Setting VTF that high can suck the life out of most carts and make them sound flat IMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gryffles said:

Umm, I think they say that due to most people setting the VTF to light due to it not being set at the same height as the playing surface. Crucial with all unipivots. Setting VTF that high can suck the life out of most carts and make them sound flat IMO

I found that playing through the first bias setting track at 12dB from the 4 bias tracks available on side 1 of the HFNRR test record using the lightest end of VTF on many carts not to work well with the cart frequently spitting out on the JMW unipivot design. This was confirmed with the Odetta Its Impossible - At the Best of Harlem German LP pressing at several locations, which was annoying to say the least. The only way to eradicate the issue was to use maximum VTF + 0.1g where the 16dB track was successfully played and only one location on the Odetta pressing would spit out the cart. This is how the Aries Scout and JMW-9 with Clearaudio Concerto LOMC KFC finger lickin good combo deal has remained for many years. In fact the heavier VTF carts suit the JMW unipivot design very well.

Edit: I'm anal when it comes to tracking as it annoys the crap out if me if the cart spits out on heavy bass tracks such as New Order's Blue Monday 12" LP etc. I love to suck every micrometre of vinyl surafce area contact dry out of the LP. ???

Please feel free to ignore the post as I'm procrastinating over my own TNT and JMW-12.5 Kieski Blue LOMC build here, which is long overdue. @Pops110 new 'shiny' Mr Sheen build has me extremely jealous. ???

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Pops110 said:

I ran a bath for the missus yesterday arvo and put on a few albums that we both like.

Laura Marling - Alas I cannot swim

Norah Jones - Feels like home.

She got out and thanked me and said it was sounding lovely. ? Then she sat down for another album.

Happy days when the boss is happy. ?

53D2E680-CAC0-40BF-BCAD-7BBACFEFD954.jpeg.ed57f7e212c165831d85950699021083.jpeg

Dave! You old smoothie!??

• Like 5