A stray followed me home. VPI TNT.

9 hours ago, klackto said:

Even if it is a 115v motor it is still quite possible that (seeing that turntable was found in Australia) the pulley may already have been changed for the correct 50Hz one.

Best way would be to replace the motor and using the existing pulley check the speed.

In any case you'd only need to change the one pulley on the motor (not the other two) and a machine shop could easily make a new one from delrin or similar material.

The pulley looks different from others I’ve seen online so you may be correct. 

14 hours ago, Telecine said:

You are going to need a speed controller. VPI options sold over time were the PLC speed controller, SDS speed controller or the new ADS speed controller.

A step down transformer may work.

There are a few third party options available but that is probably a different discussion.

Yeah I see there are some other options like SOTA I think but probably would prefer to use the original motor housin so then I would need the  PLC or SDS. Just need to find one.

What would be everyone’s thoughts on using a Jelco 12inch tonearm? I’m trying to keep the costs down so I can actually get it up and going again.

As I was told yesterday, it may have been a great find but not so good a project. The cost to get it up and running could outweigh the actual value of the deck.

I do have a few leads on some of the parts I need. ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pops110 said:

What would be everyone’s thoughts on using a Jelco 12inch tonearm? I’m trying to keep the costs down so I can actually get it up and going again.

As I was told yesterday, it may have been a great find but not so good a project. The cost to get it up and running could outweigh the actual value of the deck.

I do have a few leads on some of the parts I need. ?

I tend to agree with that assessment. I'm not sure that you would fit a 12 inch Jelco arm on that deck.

Edited by Telecine
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

I was recommended to get a 12 inch arm. I really don’t know, is there an arm you can recommend that’s not going to break the bank. 

I am on an even cheaper budget,  but still wanted a 12" arm.  Haven't found one.  I am still using a vintage B&O 9" arm, but it is performing well

• Like 1

The jello arms are excellent products, and there’s not much point wondering about the ones in the stratosphere, price wise, when you are living down on earth. Whilst they are no longer made, they are still available online from a few places.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Juzbear said:

The jello arms are excellent products, and there’s not much point wondering about the ones in the stratosphere, price wise, when you are living down on earth. Whilst they are no longer made, they are still available online from a few places.

Would the jello arms be a little floppy. ?
I think you’re probably right there mate, get what I can afford for now.

Edited by Pops110
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

There is an SDS on ebay, they don't come up very often.

The price is a bit less then I have seen them advertised for before.

Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=vpi+turntable&_sop=12

The armboard would have to be extended at the rear to accomodate a 12" arm, I think it could be done though.

I fitted a 9" VPI memorial arm to mine, a 10" arm would fit equally well.

Here is a photo of mine with the 9" arm and the armboard that I had made.

The armboard is held by cap bolts from underneath.

I think that it is a worthwhile project.

VPI_Tonearm.JPG

1 hour ago, Alphason said:

The armboard would have to be extended at the rear to accomodate a 12" arm, I think it could be done though.

VPI_Tonearm.JPG

I have seen that one, cheers. I’m talking to somebody else about one, they might also have a few other bits and pieces as well.

I was told that preferably a 12 inch arm would be best for this deck and would have no problems fitting. Soon find out I suppose. ?

14 hours ago, Pops110 said:

I have seen that one, cheers. I’m talking to somebody else about one, they might also have a few other bits and pieces as well.

I was told that preferably a 12 inch arm would be best for this deck and would have no problems fitting. Soon find out I suppose. ?

Be careful with 12" tonearms ..... most won't fit on that turntable.

The VPI 12" arms are different as the pivot is on an outrigger of sorts so while the arm length is 12" the mounting distance is less.

• Like 1

On 25/10/2020 at 8:56 PM, Pops110 said:

It was found at the rubbish tip believe it or not. One of my mates from work was dropping a load of rubbish off and came across it. He went through everything and this was all that was there.

I have recurring dreams of such a thing happening to me.  Alas no luck so far....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, klackto said:

Be careful with 12" tonearms ..... most won't fit on that turntable.

The VPI 12" arms are different as the pivot is on an outrigger of sorts so while the arm length is 12" the mounting distance is less.

Yep just measured now and the 12 inch Jelco won’t work.

On 01/11/2020 at 7:54 AM, Telecine said:

I tend to agree with that assessment. I'm not sure that you would fit a 12 inch Jelco arm on that deck.

23 hours ago, Alphason said:

VPI_Tonearm.JPG

Yep the Jelco definitely won’t fit. I will wait till it gets here and see if it’s possible to fabricate a plate and armboard to make it work. 
The JMW arms are out of budget unfortunately, has anyone had any experience with the Helius designs tonearm?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Why not go with a Rega until you can afford something that will match the table?

It’s an option for sure. I probably won’t have it up and running till after Christmas at least so there are a few options in the pipeline that will match with the VPI better.

I have purchased an SDS and it’s on the way now.

I have also purchased some TNT springs, unfortunately without the feet. I plan on fabricating some feet for it when they get here.

7 minutes ago, Telecine said:

Some ideas for you in relation to replacement feet:

http://www.vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6049

Thanks mate, I have had a look at that. Seems like a pretty decent option. I have got the springs and caps coming and some threaded rubber feet, I’m going to have a go at fabricating something to make it all work.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Thanks mate, I have had a look at that. Seems like a pretty decent option. I have got the springs and caps coming and some threaded rubber feet, I’m going to have a go at fabricating something to make it all work.

I'd recommend that you just remove the pulley system from the deck.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Telecine said:

I'd recommend that you just remove the pulley system from the deck.

Yep I think it’s the most viable option as the pulleys are unobtainable. I wish I could have got back to the tip because I’m sure that they would have been in the pile of rubbish somewhere.

• Like 1

Just now, Pops110 said:

Yep I think it’s the most viable option as the pulleys are unobtainable. I wish I could have got back to the tip because I’m sure that they would have been in the pile of rubbish somewhere.

They are noise inducing anyway, you are better of without them.

It would have been nice to find the feet and maybe the SDS speed controller though.

• Like 1