A stray followed me home. VPI TNT.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First real clean up and polish. I will remove the corner posts next to polish them properly. Has come up better than expected.

So have had a few items turn up, getting closer now. I have been in contact with Harry from VPI and he has found three of the pulleys and is going to send them over to me. He actually advises as

Here are a few more pics. Platter spins very well, bearing seems fine. I’m not sure about the motor and really don’t know how to test. Any thoughts?

16 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Poor old girl needs a lot of love.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

6E9C1538-AE56-4965-84B0-720B8CDB1944.thumb.jpeg.85f268b46924e41d0eb9dc43da843399.jpeg1478D289-2914-4DD0-9007-CA243F03BFDF.thumb.jpeg.1b58040b3d98446466128c1dcb056cae.jpeg8670F603-E0C2-4E5F-9F0A-E0CD63131D37.thumb.jpeg.1be1253fc7f9a21211c25934e25eb48e.jpegA17770FD-6623-4843-9EDD-A37D991C97C0.thumb.jpeg.1cdba376af98ae0fee2a16d546e55879.jpeg

Well it was a good turntable once. It might be again. I would start by cleaning it up and inspecting the bearing. Check that the motor is 230V then see if it spins. 

• Like 4

Didn't you say the handbrake was on for the rest of the year Dave?😀🙂

That unit started life as a great deck mate. If you can get it back to spec it'll be sensational!

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, kelossus said:

Do you know what happened to it?

Looking at the power plug, I'm guessing that it is 120V, didn't work here and was stored badly.

48 minutes ago, mtf said:

Cameron @Krispy Audio would possibly be the man in the know Dave 🤙

Yep, at some stage I’ll probably hit him up.

48 minutes ago, kelossus said:

Do you know what happened to it?

It was found at the rubbish tip believe it or not. One of my mates from work was dropping a load of rubbish off and came across it. He went through everything and this was all that was there.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Bisguittin said:

Didn't you say the handbrake was on for the rest of the year Dave?😀🙂

That unit started life as a great deck mate. If you can get it back to spec it'll be sensational!

Oi don’t you start. 😂

Hopefully that would be the plan. 

33 minutes ago, Telecine said:

Looking at the power plug, I'm guessing that it is 120V, didn't work here and was stored badly.

I’m assuming the same thing, hopefully wasn’t tried on 240v and cooked the motor. The motor has been dropped and is missing some feet and the bottom cover doesn’t look right. I will post some pics later.

1 minute ago, Pops110 said:

Yep got a few here. Have been meaning to get myself a cheap TT for a while. This could be a nice little project.

As a new convert to the black disc, I am finding building the vinyl library as expensive as buying the TT.

Be careful what you wish for Dave 😅👍🙏🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼the rabbit hole beckons 🤣🤣

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Mendes said:

As a new convert to the black disc, I am finding building the vinyl library as expensive as buying the TT.

Be careful what you wish for Dave 😅👍🙏🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼the rabbit hole beckons 🤣🤣

As @Bisguittin said the handbrake has been firmly pulled for this year. So it may take a while. I only wanted a cheap table, this definitely won’t be cheap.

• Like 1

Love the old TNT tables that Harry designed. Looks like a Mk 3+ (specifically the Mk 3.5) to me with the tri-pulley system in part installed underneath?

Have you got the elephant feet for it with the spring inserts, air bladder supports or gingko squash balls? What's the platter construction on it? Is it the older lead type - 11 or 12-inch? I've got many TNT parts here for a TNT Jr converted to a Mk 3 with the black delrin corner posts. The Mk 3.5 went to polished aluminium corner posts. VPI no longer support the TNT range. The motor for this weighs a tonne. My turntable is missing the elephant feet and the motor is the 117V version. Also have the JMW-10 and JMW-12.5 tonearms for it.

The turntable plinth can be spruced up easily with a damp cloth and then polished to bring back the shine - it's 2-layered acrylic sandwich construction. I'll get shot down for making this recommendation but Brasso is good to bring back the shine on acrylic surfaces. Light application and elbow grease for the polishing.

@Bisguittin is a legend at printing acrylic stuff and can tell you how to make the plinth new and shiny again. 😁

Happy to chat more offline. 🙂

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Pops110 said:

... I only wanted a cheap table, this definitely won’t be cheap.

Agreed.  However, if it's properly restored, and you invest in a good arm/cart, it will reward you with audio reproduction beyond your expectations, and will be a turntable you can expect to enjoy for life.  It will be one that you can enjoy the music with, rather than one to "play a record" on.

Given your budget is currently limited, invest in a good quality arm (there are good secondhand ones appearing in the classifieds here), and put an AT3600 cart on (approx $25 from ebay).  This cheap cart is quite exceptional for the price (it competes with carts costing hundreds, so do be wary of the price).  Then in the future when you can afford to invest in a better quality cartridge, you can put the 3600 in a spare headshell and have it to play records which aren't in the best condition (it's a cheap stylus so doesn't matter if it gets damaged), so you can protect your good/expensive stylus for your undamaged records. 

• Like 3

Also don't pay the $600 or so for a replacement motor if required. You can buy the motor direct from Hurst for $100 USD.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 5
  • Pops110 changed the title to A stray followed me home. VPI TNT.
4 hours ago, Krispy Audio said:

Great to chat, and SO happy you have salvaged this, good work! 

It was, cheers Cam. Hopefully get it back up to spec and get it in action again 

4 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Following with great interest. What a dumpster find! 

Amazing isn’t it. 

3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I bet you feel a bit like a did when I got my Rek-o-kut B16,  but  you are taking it to another whole level.

I’m really stoked. Just lucky my work mate was there at just the right time and knew enough to pull it out.

Here are a few more pics. Platter spins very well, bearing seems fine. I’m not sure about the motor and really don’t know how to test. Any thoughts?
B21ED835-B760-4EF9-B798-72F8AECB58B6.thumb.jpeg.dbd433b43e8360b26fe1186028a66ea5.jpeg5E47A12E-56F7-4B0B-88D8-DF4B2E7082AA.thumb.jpeg.5aeb8dbfe8ee01dc0f752b9a116d903c.jpeg32630003-72F4-4983-A0EA-4680462EE69F.thumb.jpeg.c75a6ee58d41be57270af8e5d7c1247d.jpeg60D780A2-4583-4A44-8E69-2DF943E545FF.thumb.jpeg.b424f3423da3170bef54bbfe04b90f00.jpeg192114CD-3F79-4DAB-9954-9D05DC8CA799.jpeg.0093779a540dd35e79358edba9a4fde5.jpegE77D01EE-E5E5-4BE6-9C6C-8B6FE856DD75.jpeg.fecb06ad1faba6c841b2074edd083c10.jpeg

A4E44ED9-80EA-4219-A7A5-F4C0E5862957.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Pops110 you might know of Jason, aka The Turntable Doctor, in Ozzie Park. His website indicates he's an authorised service agent for VPI

cheers

Ticc

• Like 2

Unscrew the 4 screws at the top and gently lift off the top, and share a photo of the rear of black Hurst motor pod. It should look something like this ....

Screenshot_20201026-233019_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20201026-233045_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2

Just confirming your platter is the TNT Mk 5 version; 12" diameter, 25lb weight and 37mm thick composite of acrylic and stainless steel with lead inside. Me is drooling ...

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 2
30 minutes ago, xlr8or said:

Unscrew the 4 screws at the top and gently lift off the top, and share a photo of the rear of black Hurst motor pod. It should look something like this ....

Screenshot_20201026-233019_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20201026-233045_Samsung Internet.jpg

You sir,  are a legend. 👍

Looks like the it’s seen better days. I will send you a pm tomorrow. Thank you. 
Cheers Dave.

1E066246-35A8-4145-89DF-B67EC1C03051.thumb.jpeg.edf892106159549172443450bd5cc568.jpeg

• Like 2

Very helpful. I will need to buy one as well. Cap may also need changing - it's underneath. Rest motor shaft over a coffee mug and unscrew 4 screws at bottom. Please share photo of cap voltage value.

7 hours ago, Telecine said:

A replacement motor is available here for $85 USD: http://www.hurst-motors.com/papbdirectdrive.html

Yep - part number 3203-006 is the one needed. Challenge is does Hurst sell direct and what happens to the pulley size on the motor that needs to be changed from 60Hz to 50Hz to correct for speed issues. Cap change underneath is easy peasey.

Alternatively, the SDS can be used with the motor in its current configuration without any change to the motor pod. A step down trannie would work as well but frequency needs to be regenerated and upsampled to 60Hz for the US pulley arrangement. Not sure if a variac would help to fine tune the existing 115V configuration to the correct speed by increasing the AC voltage slightly.

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1

You are going to need a speed controller. VPI options sold over time were the PLC speed controller, SDS speed controller or the new ADS speed controller.

A step down transformer may work.

There are a few third party options available but that is probably a different discussion.

Edited by Telecine
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, xlr8or said:

Just confirming your platter is the TNT Mk 5 version; 12" diameter, 25lb weight and 37mm thick composite of acrylic and stainless steel with lead inside. Me is drooling ...

I think that you will find that it is an earlier TNT non-inverted bearing and platter. They used the same arrangement on the Scout Aries 1 and some HW19 Mk IV's.

Measure the diameter of the bearing well at the widest point (the mounting flange), if it is 1 inch it is the older one that I suggested, if it is 1.25 inches, it is a later one.

Edited by Telecine
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the help guys.

That was the next problem, speed control. Do I wait for a second hand one to come up or scrap the motor and go for something else?

The new ADS is not an option at that price. Will a step down transformer compensate for the 50-60hz issue, will it need a change of pulleys and where do I get them from, I need 3.

11 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Will a step down transformer compensate for the 50-60hz issue, will it need a change of pulleys and where do I get them from, I need 3.

A step down only changes the voltage.  Not sure of the arrangement on your table, but I suspect you only need to replace the one drive pulley on the motor shaft.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Thanks for all the help guys.

That was the next problem, speed control. Do I wait for a second hand one to come up or scrap the motor and go for something else?

The new ADS is not an option at that price. Will a step down transformer compensate for the 50-60hz issue, will it need a change of pulleys and where do I get them from, I need 3.

It is tricky. I think you should contact VPI about the missing parts to see if they have any spares and if so at what price. You can then make a sensible decision about what your options are.

PLC speed controller is reasonably priced if you can find one.

It might be cheaper to buy a VPI HW19 Mk III and move the bearing and platter over.

• Like 1

You could spend a lot of time and money trying to track down the missing parts second-hand.

Edited by Telecine
  • Like 1