Hi Fi Listening Audition Sydney

With the desire to improve the sound in my home set up. I would like to hear an array of hi-fi equipment before I take the plunge. 

Can anybody recommend a place in Sydney to do this? Vintage or new I am not fussed. 

Lifestyle Store, Audio Connection, Apollo Hifi, Eastwood, Pacific Hifi, Sydney Hifi

Edited by Marc
Removed unconstructive comment

The best place to buy is here on SNA classified's.  Everything is here and no pressure fellow listeners selling gear.  Best 'bang for buck' though I guess somebody has to still buy new gear :) says he with a Lumin U1 mini in the post :)

Plenty of gear being sold in Sydney, the 'Gong and Central Coast to go and visit.  Most though not all in these times will happily assist with a demo and you will find over time that your knowledge will improve.  Most of the sellers I have visited in the last 2 years have had multiple systems in their homes, seen and listened to some incredible gear.  Set some parameters based on what sort of music you like, your bias to bass etc .. your room size and what sort of listening levels you like, whether headphones, digital, CD/SACD and vinyl are in the mix.  You can ask here and people can suggest components or systems as well, and importantly point out gear on the classifieds.  It can be trial and error matching components if you go that way and within the collective knowledge here you will find somebody who has probably tried the combination and can give you advice.

Good luck on your journey.

• Like 1

Awesome advice thanks guys. As a start I would probably be looking at the lower end of the spectrum e.g. $3k for speakers and an amp 

I have a 3 x 5m music room with basic sound treatment. I would actulaly use the system for DJing and listening to vinyl . 

I also been to LWA many times and have bought things from them, even got them to re solder my TT clips, very good service. I once visited with my mate and told them we are not going to buy anything on the day but they still spent a bit of time to setup some speakers for us to listen to, use my own CDs...etc

i obviously didn’t dress like a rich guy and I am not anyway.

i haven’t had any bad experience with them.

i also had good experience with Audio Connection, Michael is very good and Apollo Hifi Nick is good...I bought my first pair of speakers there.

I guess also depending on your budget too.

you can also try Audio Genesis too, Harry is great!

22 hours ago, DJWalrus said:

Awesome advice thanks guys. As a start I would probably be looking at the lower end of the spectrum e.g. $3k for speakers and an amp 

I have a 3 x 5m music room with basic sound treatment. I would actulaly use the system for DJing and listening to vinyl . 

Just saw this post, I would definitely visit Apollo hifi, they will probably have more variety to suit your budget. And also try Addicted to Audio.

Edited by dwbasement
On 25/10/2020 at 11:43 PM, Bunno77 said:

Lifestyle Store, Audio Connection, Apollo Hifi, Eastwood, Pacific Hifi, Sydney Hifi

I would and did avoid Len Wallis unless you are over 60 and dressed as if you have money even if you don't.

Completely agree, bought a pair of bookshelves 2 weeks ago and paid RRP for them, then called again today and spoke to a guy named Kit (not sure how to spell?) I asked about a pair floorstanders if they can do a small discount of RRP and they said not with this brand as we're the only importer. Then I asked if they can do discount off RRP on any other brand, they simply replied, and I quote; 'no, we don't really think we need to'. Never in my life I have paid for RRP, this was the only time.