Roger Waters amused to death 45 pre sale

2 hours ago, aussievintage said:

That's interesting, as I don't find it all that different.  To me it seems similar to other stuff, like Pros and cons of hitchhiking, for example.  First time I played Amused to Death, there was no mistaking the Pink Floydishness still hanging in there also.

It's the lyrical content in quite a few songs rather than the music that I don't like, especially that truly dreadful one about the Chinese girl and her perfect breasts in Watching TV. Also the song on the album where he makes snide comments about Andrew Lloyd Webber. I'm no fan of Webber but snarkiness amongst musicians grates. The album reminds me of some books I've read where it's in dire need of a good editor,  there are too many instances like those two that I've never felt with any of Floyd's albums or Pros And Cons or Radio K.A.O.S

Edited by Hergest
punctuation
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

Q-sound is so fun!

Especially nearfield listening...

I once listened to Soul Cages where it was run through an old Marantz amp/tuner with the oscilloscope and you could watch how the phase was messed around with. Really like the Q Sound sonics.

On 26/10/2020 at 4:14 PM, Hergest said:

Also the song on the album where he makes snide comments about Andrew Lloyd Webber. I'm no fan of Webber but snarkiness

Andrew Lloyd Webber stole a Roger Waters melody for one of his musicals. Well deserved spray.

Edited by deblur
grammer
  • Like 1

Guest Old Man Rubber
On 26/10/2020 at 3:59 PM, jeromelang said:

Q-sound is so fun!

Especially nearfield listening...

It is fun but I remember it being marketed as some kind of magic 3d sound - turned out I couldn't really hear the difference unless I held my head in the exact Q sound sweet spot which I was pretty disappointed with.  The Madonna "Immaculate Collection" CD everybody owned had Q sound remixes on it and barely anybody noticed I reckon.

Wow!!

I'm beginning to feel sorry I ever raised this topic, the level of negativity. 

Anyway I for one recognize what a ground breaking album ATD was, for all it's imperfections such as difficulty in sitting right through the whole album.

I suspect  a lot of people never really "get" this album, or have their systems setup well enough to appreciate the genius of the recording. 

Seems I'm one of the few keen on buying the new release.

End of rant! ?

Edited by evil c
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, evil c said:

I suspect  a lot of people never really "get" this album, or have their systems setup well enough to appreciate the genius of the recording. 

I bought 3 copies of the 2015 reissue so not sure i need any more copies? but this is probably my fav Roger Waters or pink floyd album..:lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evil c said:

Wow!!

Anyway I for one recognize what a ground breaking album ATD was, for all it's imperfections such as difficulty in sitting right through the whole album.

Lot of people have unfollowed and I'll be doing the same.

End of rant! ?

LMFAO     Really?    Glad your system is set up so well that " you get it" and can appreciate the genius of the recording

Looks like I need to sell everything and start again to get on the " Evil C " cool aid  ?

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, metal beat said:

LMFAO     Really?    Glad your system is set up so well that " you get it" and can appreciate the genius of the recording

Looks like I need to sell everything and start again to get on the " Evil C " cool aid  ?

metal beat true to form! ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, andyr said:

End of rant, Clive ... don't worry, peeps - there'll be another one tomorrow!  xD

btw, I stand in the "I love AtD" camp.  :thumb:

Andy

I was just trying to encourage some positivity by being negative!, :ermm:

Sunny days are back in the World's most - - - - now what was it again? ?

6 hours ago, Old Man Rubber said:

It is fun but I remember it being marketed as some kind of magic 3d sound - turned out I couldn't really hear the difference unless I held my head in the exact Q sound sweet spot which I was pretty disappointed with.  The Madonna "Immaculate Collection" CD everybody owned had Q sound remixes on it and barely anybody noticed I reckon.

With nearfield listening the out-of-box sound elements manifest very eerily tangible and real, hanging right by my shoulders 

20201014-230716.jpg

20201014-232139.jpg

With far field listening in my bigger sized living room, while the OFB sound elements are spaced further out from the circumference of the speakers, but they don't really lose that much of their tangible presence. Still very real with either the sacd or the original first print vinyl. 

I just bought the AP 33RPM pressing vinyl again because I haven't been able to dig out my first copy. 

Will buy the 45rpm pressing when its out. I might be loath to admit: its quite fun to listen to this record....

Edited by jeromelang
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, evil c said:

Wow!!

Lot of people have unfollowed and I'll be doing the same.

End of rant! ?

I dunno. I quite like how some posts take on a life of their own. You asked at the start ; Anyone keen on the Roger Waters  45 4LP remaster ?..

It would have been an almighty boring post if all the replies were people replying yes or no.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeromelang said:

With nearfield listening the out-of-box sound elements manifest very eerily tangible and real, hanging right by my shoulders 

20201014-230716.jpg

With far field listening in my bigger sized living room, while the OFB sound elements are spaced further out from the circumference of the speakers, but they don't really lose that much of their tangible presence. Still very real.

That's one hell of a place to get the sweet spot......

• Haha 1

On 26/10/2020 at 3:08 PM, frednork said:

Well , Roger would claim he is "Pink" xD

And he'd be right. After he left and they released Delicate Sound I remember saying at the time (which was roundly criticised by some music biz types)that they were just a good covers band now. Many years later I heard Roger say in an interview they were a mere 'facsimile'. Controversial but very true :oops:

I like ATD. It's a Miracle is one of his best songs. His latest 'Is This the Life..', however, is a real masterpiece and possibly his best work since the Floyd days.

Will be interesting to hear how the 45rpm turns out. Let's just hope they press at a decent plant!

Edited by lemarquis
  • Like 1

I believe ATD is a brilliant piece of work!  Sonically a cut above a lot of normal music out there.

For me though - the lyrics is what this masterpiece is all about...  Everytime I play it - it's still new.

I bought a couple of copies of the '15 issue and the SACD.   I was expecting nirvana - WOW - I was so disappointed!  Roger tweaked this here and added that there and well - the magic just evaporated like the Genie.

I put on my old CD and the magic is back in spades.  Every pressing (I have 4) sounds totally different too.  Absolutely no consistency in SQ.  Even my gold Sony SBM disc is beaten by a normal issue CD.

But just like Mr E, of course,  I will definitely buy a copy of this too!   How can you not?

As Metal Beat suggests - 8 sides to get though might be a challenge though....

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Posted this a while ago in another thread but thought it might be appropriate here. Brilliant cover of one of my fav tracks from the album

Good clip thought it’s clear Rogers voice is gone. Interesting that the girls were singing into a ‘dummy head’- must re-listen  later with headphones and see if the binaural effect kicks in.

Billy

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Posted this a while ago in another thread but thought it might be appropriate here. Brilliant cover of one of my fav tracks from the album

Great version. Still think his voice is going well. Different album though ;) 

56 minutes ago, Anatoly Beaver-Hausen said:

Good clip thought it’s clear Rogers voice is gone. Interesting that the girls were singing into a ‘dummy head’- must re-listen  later with headphones and see if the binaural effect kicks in.

Billy

Effective talk singing none the less Billy! ?

So are you going to commit to the new release?

1 hour ago, Anatoly Beaver-Hausen said:

Billy

Yup. Gone indeed.

• Like 1