Roger Waters amused to death 45 pre sale

Anyone keen on the Roger Waters  45 4LP remaster ?

Just put in a pre order with Acoustic Sounds.

Screenshot_20201025-192641_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0a764fd79b40b9620a80dc2c1886cda1.jpg 

• Like 2
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yea, one of the most pretentious boring albums of muzak and sound effects, now spread over 4LP's.   Can't wait 🤮   YMMV

Wow!! I'm beginning to feel sorry I ever raised this topic, the level of negativity.  Anyway I for one recognize what a ground breaking album ATD was, for all it's imperfections such as diff

I don’t have a record player Evil.  Are they going to do a 200g half speed CD?

6 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Could this album possibly be improved from the 2015 Analogue Productions version?

Well I intend to find out! 😉

One copy to play and another as an investment. 

Long wait unfortunately, with April next year likely release date - discounting delays.

20 minutes ago, evil c said:

Screenshot_20201025-192641_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0a764fd79b40b9620a80dc2c1886cda1.jpg 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ooogh said:

Be gone ye heretic peddler of blasphemy! :ermm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, metal beat said:

More milking.

I will wait for the 78rpm audiophool version.

Well there still might be a tad more to lick off the master tape so lets send Evil into the void for the sake of the common man to report back ....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, metal beat said:

More milking.

I will wait for the 78rpm audiophool version.

Moooo !!, always intrigued to hear a 45 version of ATD . 

9 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Well there still might be a tad more to lick off the master tape so lets send Evil into the void for the sake of the common man to report back ....

Sure there will be a few other suckers! 😉

25 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Yea, one of the most pretentious boring albums of muzak and sound effects, now spread over 4LP's.

Can't wait 🤮

YMMV

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Yea, one of the most pretentious boring albums of muzak and sound effects, now spread over 4LP's.

Can't wait 🤮

YMMV

Yep its horses for courses  for sure as i'm certain most of the stuff I listen too would displease  the majority of members here but alas I do love this album so will look forward to  the opinions of others whether there's any improvements to be had or not.

• Like 2

Also love this album (although not sure why unsolicited hate posts are warranted) but

I never really understood the significance of the 2015 reissue as it is so different to the original in non important (seemingly to me) ways not typical of a remaster, more like a total remix,  but wikipedia to the rescue, besides doing a 5.1 mix which apparently won an award or something, the real thing that made it worth doing for Roger was that he could include the samples from 2001 of HAL dying which were part of his original vision but  permission was denied by Kubrick in an alleged *** for tat for PF not allowing him to use their music in Clockwork Orange. Once Kubrick died permission was given and I can imagine Roger doing it just to stick it up Kubrick!!

Gotta love that prickly bastard Rog...

• Like 3

• Administrators
5 hours ago, frednork said:

(although not sure why unsolicited hate posts are warranted)

They're not. It's just metal beat, being, metal beat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, metal beat said:

Can't wait 🤮

YMMV

If you ever met the guys in Pink Floyd you'd probably come away with the impression that most of them were of a natural pretentious personality anyway, not in a nasty way, but they did have a ever present air of haughtiness about them, Walters & Gilmour being the main ones, Wright could show this trait as well to a lesser extent.

I sort of put it down to a generational thing

No surprise it also can be sensed in some of the music, IMHO that goes for Gilmours last solo effort as well, although how much that can be put down to Gilmours wife writing the lyrics it's hard to tell

12 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

If you ever met the guys in Pink Floyd you'd probably come away with the impression that most of them were of a natural pretentious personality anyway, not in a nasty way, but they did have a ever present air of haughtiness about them, Walters & Gilmour being the main ones, Wright could show this trait as well to a lesser extent.

I sort of put it down to a generational thing

No surprise it also can be sensed in some of the music, IMHO that goes for Gilmours last solo effort as well, although how much that can be put down to Gilmours wife writing the lyrics it's hard to tell

Interesting, I have heard reports ofpeople that have worked with Floyd and Waters saying it was a torturous experience. The other thing I saw on the wiki was the lineup for the album. Never realised Jeff Porcaro drummed on it. 

Personnel[edit]

and on the gearslutz site someone has posted a comment from Pat Leonard the producer regarding the process of making the  album shown below. 

From Mr. Leonard..

Hi Teddy,

Amused to death huh?
I like it too, but the making of that record had little to do with "how it was recorded" .
The truth is, it was nearly every recording technique, signal path, monitors. And many consoles, tons of outboard gear (and none at all). it was mixed for 6 months with multiple rooms going.

That record was about Mr R Waters vision and my job was to help him realize it, however we got there. So, all paths were taken. We did mix using a dead technology called "Q SOUND", and thats a big part of the overall affect of the record, but you have to sit in the center to hear it so it has it draw backs.
Read between the lines grasshopper, the answer you seek is there.

Amused to death was about shear stamina and perseverance, (it took two years) and I'm extremely proud to have done it. I think it's quite an amazing piece of work. But as i said, it had little to nothing to do with the studio. It was all done with highly critical ears, good taste, a good deal of imagination and creativity, and lots of time... lots of time.

Sadly, records like that one won't be made anymore for multiple reasons. Mostly, how we currently define creativity. That's a big problem. Remember that ATD was pre Pro Tools. Or rather; Pro Tools was around in some early form, but certainly not yet considered a recording device worthy of putting ones heart to. (and the old grouch rears his head). We had to play the music, make the sonic choices and get it right in real time; as it couldn't be "fixed" later. So, if you couldn't alter the music once it was "on tape", what would be different?

Be honest and enjoy the process. That translates. Sage guidance complete.

Regards,

• Like 3

Roger can be extremely pedantic, which is the cause of most of the friction.

Even in down time, if you'd ever see him play Snooker on a full sized table you'll noticed how focused and intense he is, totally absorbed in the task and intent to win.....he's bloody good as well, nearly Pro standard.

28 minutes ago, frednork said:

We did mix using a dead technology called "Q SOUND", and thats a big part of the overall affect of the record

That's one of the few "gimmicks"  I have heard that was so evident.  I actually really like the spread Q sound gave this album.  (I think it's the only Q sound disc I have)

10 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

That's one of the few "gimmicks"  I have heard that was so evident.  I actually really like the spread Q sound gave this album.  (I think it's the only Q sound disc I have)

STING had a  Q sound album out Soul Cages.

I actually thought Q sound was pretty good, although the processing involved changing everything so it is phase with everything else took ages to do it's thing.

Plus I think the whole thing ended up costing too much to do, which no record company likes spending money on unless absolutely necessary.

54 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

It certainly is the benchmark standard, for demonstrating the amazing aural properties of Q sound.

The opening Bill Hubbard track with the dog barking outside to your immediate right, is my go to calibration tool for adjusting speakers placement! 

39 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

STING had a  Q sound album out Soul Cages.

I actually thought Q sound was pretty good, although the processing involved changing everything so it is phase with everything else took ages to do it's thing.

Plus I think the whole thing ended up costing too much to do, which no record company likes spending money on unless absolutely necessary.

Soul Cages is good, however inconsistent with the levels of Q sound used on certain tracks.

And a lot less spectacular overall.

I have a copy of Murray Attaway's - In Thrall that also employs it but at a similar standard to Soul Cages.

• Like 1

I've always found it a struggle to bother putting on record 2 of my original album so can't imagine getting through 8 sides of it all. Sonic masterpiece for sure but I'm afraid I'm firmly in the camp that thinks Amused To Death is a load of old tosh. It's a shame as I love Roger's other work, both solo and with Floyd.

I actually wonder how much better if at all the 45rpm album will be. I've got What God Wants on a 45rpm 12 inch single from when it was first issued and sonically it's brilliant but so is the 33rpm album version

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hergest said:

It's a shame as I love Roger's other work, both solo and with Floyd.

That's interesting, as I don't find it all that different.  To me it seems similar to other stuff, like Pros and cons of hitchhiking, for example.  First time I played Amused to Death, there was no mistaking the Pink Floydishness still hanging in there also.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

First time I played Amused to Death, there was no mistaking the Pink Floydishness still hanging in there also.

Well , Roger would claim he is "Pink" xD

• Like 1
19 hours ago, evil c said:

Just how much is this fantastic black plastic investment opportunity?

1 hour ago, frednork said:

Just how much is this fantastic black plastic investment opportunity?

$125 U.S. ($175 Aust.) Plus freight.

Much higher prices  on eBay. 

Edited by evil c
2 hours ago, aussievintage said:

That's interesting, as I don't find it all that different.  To me it seems similar to other stuff, like Pros and cons of hitchhiking, for example.  First time I played Amused to Death, there was no mistaking the Pink Floydishness still hanging in there also.

It's the lyrical content in quite a few songs rather than the music that I don't like, especially that truly dreadful one about the Chinese girl and her perfect breasts in Watching TV. Also the song on the album where he makes snide comments about Andrew Lloyd Webber. I'm no fan of Webber but snarkiness amongst musicians grates. The album reminds me of some books I've read where it's in dire need of a good editor,  there are too many instances like those two that I've never felt with any of Floyd's albums or Pros And Cons or Radio K.A.O.S

Edited by Hergest
punctuation
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

Q-sound is so fun!

Especially nearfield listening...

I once listened to Soul Cages where it was run through an old Marantz amp/tuner with the oscilloscope and you could watch how the phase was messed around with. Really like the Q Sound sonics.

On 26/10/2020 at 4:14 PM, Hergest said:

Also the song on the album where he makes snide comments about Andrew Lloyd Webber. I'm no fan of Webber but snarkiness

Andrew Lloyd Webber stole a Roger Waters melody for one of his musicals. Well deserved spray.

Edited by deblur
grammer
  • Like 1
On 26/10/2020 at 3:59 PM, jeromelang said:

Q-sound is so fun!

Especially nearfield listening...

It is fun but I remember it being marketed as some kind of magic 3d sound - turned out I couldn't really hear the difference unless I held my head in the exact Q sound sweet spot which I was pretty disappointed with.  The Madonna "Immaculate Collection" CD everybody owned had Q sound remixes on it and barely anybody noticed I reckon.

Wow!!

I'm beginning to feel sorry I ever raised this topic, the level of negativity. 

Anyway I for one recognize what a ground breaking album ATD was, for all it's imperfections such as difficulty in sitting right through the whole album.

I suspect  a lot of people never really "get" this album, or have their systems setup well enough to appreciate the genius of the recording. 

Seems I'm one of the few keen on buying the new release.

End of rant! 😊

Edited by evil c
  • Like 5
48 minutes ago, evil c said:

I suspect  a lot of people never really "get" this album, or have their systems setup well enough to appreciate the genius of the recording. 

I bought 3 copies of the 2015 reissue so not sure i need any more copies? but this is probably my fav Roger Waters or pink floyd album..:lol:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, evil c said:

Wow!!

Anyway I for one recognize what a ground breaking album ATD was, for all it's imperfections such as difficulty in sitting right through the whole album.

Lot of people have unfollowed and I'll be doing the same.

End of rant! 😊

LMFAO     Really?    Glad your system is set up so well that " you get it" and can appreciate the genius of the recording

Looks like I need to sell everything and start again to get on the " Evil C " cool aid  😉

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 3
14 minutes ago, metal beat said:

LMFAO     Really?    Glad your system is set up so well that " you get it" and can appreciate the genius of the recording

Looks like I need to sell everything and start again to get on the " Evil C " cool aid  😉

metal beat true to form! 😂

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, evil c said:

End of rant! 😊

End of rant, Clive ... don't worry, peeps - there'll be another one tomorrow!  xD

btw, I stand in the "I love AtD" camp.  :thumb:

Andy

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, andyr said:

End of rant, Clive ... don't worry, peeps - there'll be another one tomorrow!  xD

btw, I stand in the "I love AtD" camp.  :thumb:

Andy

I was just trying to encourage some positivity by being negative!, :ermm:

Sunny days are back in the World's most - - - - now what was it again? 😄

6 hours ago, Old Man Rubber said:

It is fun but I remember it being marketed as some kind of magic 3d sound - turned out I couldn't really hear the difference unless I held my head in the exact Q sound sweet spot which I was pretty disappointed with.  The Madonna "Immaculate Collection" CD everybody owned had Q sound remixes on it and barely anybody noticed I reckon.

With nearfield listening the out-of-box sound elements manifest very eerily tangible and real, hanging right by my shoulders 

20201014-230716.jpg

20201014-232139.jpg

With far field listening in my bigger sized living room, while the OFB sound elements are spaced further out from the circumference of the speakers, but they don't really lose that much of their tangible presence. Still very real with either the sacd or the original first print vinyl. 

I just bought the AP 33RPM pressing vinyl again because I haven't been able to dig out my first copy. 

Will buy the 45rpm pressing when its out. I might be loath to admit: its quite fun to listen to this record....

Edited by jeromelang
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, evil c said:

Wow!!

Lot of people have unfollowed and I'll be doing the same.

End of rant! 😊

I dunno. I quite like how some posts take on a life of their own. You asked at the start ; Anyone keen on the Roger Waters  45 4LP remaster ?..

It would have been an almighty boring post if all the replies were people replying yes or no.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, jeromelang said:

With nearfield listening the out-of-box sound elements manifest very eerily tangible and real, hanging right by my shoulders 

20201014-230716.jpg

With far field listening in my bigger sized living room, while the OFB sound elements are spaced further out from the circumference of the speakers, but they don't really lose that much of their tangible presence. Still very real.

That's one hell of a place to get the sweet spot......

• Haha 1
On 26/10/2020 at 3:08 PM, frednork said:

Well , Roger would claim he is "Pink" xD

And he'd be right. After he left and they released Delicate Sound I remember saying at the time (which was roundly criticised by some music biz types)that they were just a good covers band now. Many years later I heard Roger say in an interview they were a mere 'facsimile'. Controversial but very true :oops:

I like ATD. It's a Miracle is one of his best songs. His latest 'Is This the Life..', however, is a real masterpiece and possibly his best work since the Floyd days.

Will be interesting to hear how the 45rpm turns out. Let's just hope they press at a decent plant!

Edited by lemarquis
  • Like 1
On 29/10/2020 at 12:36 PM, evil c said:

I suspect  a lot of people never really "get" this album,

It might be the post WWII theme. Some of the young'uns weren't there :lol: