I am after amp suggestions to run my Troels Gravesen DTQWT mkQlll . http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/DTQWT-mkIII.htm
These are listed at 94db and 4ohm so power should not be an issue. I am thinking solid state with a budget somewhere around 5 - 8k. I am presently running chord cutest to PrimaLuna Prologue pre and Cawsey 15 class mono blocks. I have also had a PrimaLuna Prologue power amp in the setup. 

- General listing volume around 70db 

- Room size 6m x 10m 

CameronB40F1E33-E849-4639-B2AC-06048C9F28F3.thumb.jpeg.206e7efd64125c6872dd3360ac13f75f.jpeg 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, camross said:

I am after amp suggestions to run my Troels Gravesen DTQWT mkQlll . http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/DTQWT-mkIII.htm
These are listed at 94db and 4ohm so power should not be an issue. I am thinking solid state with a budget somewhere around 5 - 8k.

What power do you call "low power", Cameron?

The fact they are 4 ohm means the amp needs to have a serious power supply.

I would think Hugh Dean could provide a NAKSA 80 (modified to drive 4 ohms well) for around $2k.  This is nominally about 65w into 8 ohms ... rather than the 80w the stock NAKSA 80 delivers (into 8 ohms).

As you're in Melbourne, with the 5k radius lifted, you might be able to audition one from Hugh.  If Richmond is closer, I could lend you one of my NAKSA 80s that's quite happy driving my 2 ohm ribbons.

I am presently running chord cutest to PrimaLuna Prologue pre and Cawsey 15 class mono blocks.

Do you mean 15w & Class A?  If so ... why do you want to change?

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, andyr said:

Do you mean 15w & Class A?  If so ... why do you want to change?

Hi Andy.

Yes I am running Class A 15 watt. A using the two different amps for some time now I feel they both have strengths and weaknesses. I keen to try something that may be better. As far as low power I guess anything under 100 watts, I just didn't want recommendations for 400w Mono block beasts.

I was thinking something like the below or a First Watt.

• Thanks 1

What is it about the sound that you want to change? What do your current amps sound like? What are you wanting from the new ones? Do you want the sound brighter/faster/warmer/more detailed etc. Do you really want mono blocks or is a stereo power unit ok?

The fact that’s it’s 4ohm I think you better have a big amp with enough current to drive it. 

On 27/10/2020 at 2:43 PM, camross said:

I am still learning about the different power requirements in relation to sensitivity and Ohms. But reading around it looks like the Pass Labs XA 25 would be a good fit.

https://www.passlabs.com/products/xa25/

XA25_LS.jpg

Having lived with an XA 30.5 all I can say is I think they are fantastic amplifiers. Word on the street seems to be the 25 is better again.

Rich and full, sweet but detailed, magnificent bass, nuanced , tonally complex, brilliant. I needed more power but I would be shocked if the 25 doesn’t have plenty on tap to drive your speakers. If a 30.5 shows up second hand I would jump on it. Never missed a beat, great build quality. You might get the idea I like ‘em.

Otherwise Audion Silver Night PSE, holographic, fast , wonderful. 18 Watts works where 8 fails.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

Otherwise Audion Silver Night PSE, holographic, fast , wonderful. 18 Watts works where 8 fails.

18w, eh ... providing your spkrs are easy to drive.  xD

Andy

16 minutes ago, andyr said:

18w, eh ... providing your spkrs are easy to drive.  xD

Andy

Hi Andy,

94 dB 4 Ohm load.  It depends on how reactive the speakers are, if it is a fairly consistent load I can see no reason why they wouldn’t work via the 4 Ohm tap. I have heard them drive a plethora of speakers, they deal with NS100’s easily.

Cheers,

Hugh

Sharing my 2 cents worth as well. Get yourself a low-powered valve amp that has an 8 ohm tap and also get yourself a pair of speltz autoformers. With the autoformers set your speakers to the 2x setting so the load on the OPTs see nominal 8 ohm rather than 4 ohm. You will be hard pressed to find low-powered Class A SET valve amps with 4 ohm taps.

Edited by xlr8or
On 27/10/2020 at 4:16 PM, blakey72 said:

What is it about the sound that you want to change? What do your current amps sound like? What are you wanting from the new ones? Do you want the sound brighter/faster/warmer/more detailed etc. Do you really want mono blocks or is a stereo power unit ok?

I just found that both Amplifiers had different strengths and that I may be able to get the best of both in a different amplifier. My heart says warmer and my head says more detailed.

I am not fussed on if they are mono blocks of a Stereo amplifier.

On 28/10/2020 at 8:37 PM, Ooogh said:

Having lived with an XA 30.5 all I can say is I think they are fantastic amplifiers. Word on the street seems to be the 25 is better again.

Rich and full, sweet but detailed, magnificent bass, nuanced , tonally complex, brilliant. I needed more power but I would be shocked if the 25 doesn’t have plenty on tap to drive your speakers. If a 30.5 shows up second hand I would jump on it. Never missed a beat, great build quality. You might get the idea I like ‘em.

Sounds like the XA 25 is a little better than the 30.5. Depends on what you read , some seem to suggest it is a little cold and over detailed. I am going to try and get out and listen to one this week. Unlikely one will turn up second hand though.

On 28/10/2020 at 11:54 PM, xlr8or said:

Sharing my 2 cents worth as well. Get yourself a low-powered valve amp that has an 8 ohm tap and also get yourself a pair of speltz autoformers. With the autoformers set your speakers to the 2x setting so the load on the OPTs see nominal 8 ohm rather than 4 ohm. You will be hard pressed to find low-powered Class A SET valve amps with 4 ohm taps.

Edited Thursday at 12:04 AM by xlr8or

At this stage I am trying to stay away from a Valve amp but this may change down the track.

New there are quite a few options around but not sure any of them will be better than what I have. I would rather buy second hand.

Jeff Rowland 525

Moon Neo 330a

Plinius P10

Plinius SA-103

Pass Labs XA 25

Sudgen FPA-4

First Watt F7 and First Watt SIT - 3, also made by Pass Labs. Both will drive your speakers without breaking a sweat. Hardest choice will be between them and the X 25.

With 70 dB listening levels you could probably include the First Watt J2 as well.

Edited by Smp

1 hour ago, Eggmeister said:

Would Garry Cawsey be able to "tweak" what you have  ?

Yes I am looking at one of his newer amps as well. I recently swapped out RCA cables to one of Garry’s better cables. This made a huge difference far more detail and the sound stage increased greatly.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MattyW said:

My choice would be between one of High Dean (Aspen Amplifiers) or a Pass Labs amp.  :)

I will look into Aspen amps I definitely like the idea of First watt or Pass labs. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By sk280
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Pennant Hills Area, 2120 State: New South Wales Payment Method: Cash on pickup, Osko, PayPal Reason for selling: Funding upgrade Further information:
       Parasound ZAMP V.3 Two Channel Amplifier
      - In excellent as new condition sonically and cosmetically: 9/10.
      - Clean Parasound sound, sounds fantastic, nice toroid power transformer.
      - Well reviewed and sounds great as a headphone amplifier as well.
      - This is the current model and sold in Australia for $700.
      - Pickup from Pennant Hills area, NSW 2120.
      - Can ship at buyers expense

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By camross
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Ivanhoe State: Victoria Payment Method: Cash Reason for selling: NLR Further information:  Amp has been upgraded to TUNG-SOL KT120 Power tubes exact hours unknown,I bought this as a package a couple oh years ago with the Premium Preamplifier. The power amplifier was used briefly for around 240 hours and works flawlessly. There is one small blemish on the face plate but otherwise in perfect condition.

I am happy to audition the amplifier to serious buyers in Ivanhoe.

PrimaLuna® ProLogue PremiumEL34/KT88 Switch
      The ProLogue Premium Stereo Amplifiers—as well as the Premium Integrated and Mono amplifiers—come with an EL34/KT88 bias switch. This means that by the flip of a switch you can choose the optimum bias setting for EL34s or KT88s. No hassle with screwdrivers, no messing around with meters etc. If you swap tubes, simply flip the switch for optimum bias!
      And should you use the “wrong” bias setting for the tubes in use, don’t worry. It just means you did not choose the “optimum” bias setting as decided by the PrimaLuna design team. Some PrimaLuna owners even like to “play” with this switch to see what is the optimum bias setting for their circumstances and some go even further and play with this switch while having a mix of EL34 and KT88 within one channel. All is possible due to the PrimaLuna Adaptive AutoBias Circuit.
      Power Amp can operate in Stereo or Mono at the flip of a switch

This PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Stereo Amplifier features:
      Hand-made construction with the finest point-to-point wiring, using workmanship that is equal to orbetter than any product you can buy at any price.
      A heavy-gauge, fully-vented steel chassis with a five coat finish. Each coat is hand-rubbed andpolished.
      Premium parts that include a toroidal transformer for power supply; custom designed -inconjunction with one of the most prestigious transformer designers in the USA- encapsulated output transformers the quality of which fits nicely between standard ProLogue and DiaLoguetransformers; wide bandwidth for great bass and extended highs; ceramic tube sockets; ALPS volume control; Nichicon and Solen capacitors; superfast Philips-diode-circuitry; gold-platedheavy duty WBT style speaker terminals (all speaker connectors are solid shaft, without hole, forbetter conductance, better sound and higher reliability); gold-plated panel mounted input jacks.
      SoftStartTM circuit for extended life of sensitive components, plus a reduced chance of tube failurefrom thermal shock.
      A new generation Adaptive AutoBiasTM exclusive to PrimaLuna. This circuit monitors and smoothlyadjusts bias constantly and instantly, reducing maintenance and increasing performance due to the dramatic reduction in distortion. It comes with a new extensive output stage protection circuitry with +B relay to protect output transformers, resistors and high voltage power supply in case a tube fails. In all ProLogue Premium Amplifier models the new generation Adaptive Auto BiasBoard comes with our new BTITM circuit. BTITM stands for Bad Tube Indication (by LEDs), makingtube-life again a bit easier.
      The ProLogue Premium Stereo Amplifiers as well as the Integrated and Mono amplifiers come with an EL34/KT88 bias switch. This means that with the flip of a switch you can choose for the optimum bias setting for EL34 type of tubes or KT88 type of tubes. No hassle with screwdrivers,no messing around with meters etc. Just switch tubes, switch bias!
      No more 12AX7 tubes in the ProLogue Premium range of products. Instead of a 12AX7/12AU7 combination in each channel, we use a double 12AU7 combination. Lower distortion levels, higherlevel of sound quality. Distortion levels in the first stage have dropped with a factor of 5 at low levels to at least 20 at higher levels, above 1V.

Specifications • Power .................................................................................................................................................................................................................. 35 Watts per channel
      Frequency Response ........................................................................................................................................................................ 9Hz - 130kHz -3 dB
      THD with AABB ............................................................................................................................................................... less than 1% at rated power
      S/N Ratio................................................................................................................................................................................................... 75 dB flat; 92dB WTDA Input Impedance .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................100 kOhm Input Sensitivity .............................................................................. 600 mV (for rated power at maximum volume setting) Maximum Gain ....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... 28 dB Power Consumption ......................................................................................................................................................................................................... 255 Watts Net Weight ............................................................................................................................................................................................................... 49.5 lbs / 22..5 kg Shipping Weight................................................................................................................................................................................................ 58.4 lbs / 26.5 kg Dimensions ..................................................................... 15.4" x 14.4" x 8" / 390 mm x 365 mm x 202 mm (L x W x H) Shipping Dimensions ................................. 22.7" x 18.4" x 12" / 577 mm x 468 mm x 305 mm (L x W x H) Inputs ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................... 1 pair Stereo RCA Outputs................................................................................................................................................................................................... 4 & 8 Ohm Speaker Taps Tube Complement .................................................................................................................................................................................................................. 4 x EL34
      4 x 12AU7

https://www.stereophile.com/content/primaluna-prologue-premium-power-amplifier

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/primaluna-prologue-premium-stereo-power-amplifier/

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By timotheo
      Item: multi channel power amp
      Price Range: max 2k
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info:
      Something to an Emotiva A-5175 5 channel

thanks

tim

• By Brucec
      Item: Perreaux or similar power amp
      Price Range: negotiable on condition and history
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info: Will consider any condition.

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).
    • By BKO
      Hello everyone

Does anyone have experience with ATI technologies AT 500NC series amplifiers? I have not seen any proper reviews of these. They seem very good on paper.

AT543 NC class D amp pumps out 900W / channel at 4 ohms.

Thanks .