Free advice - PC builds

A asrock board with X570 chipset, Rayzen 5 3600 CPU and 32Gb of DDR4 gskill (2400) will cost $777 from umart.

Need to make sure the power supply has the correct connectors for the motherboard and is appropriately rated for all it will be powering.

Knock $100 off it if you go for a cheap lower end 550 chipset board

Edited by muon*
  • Thanks 1

My current PC is a 13 years old machine that still runs well today. With my new build I thought about reusing the case and integrated PSU, but was worried that the power supply is operating on borrowed time. Couldn't bear the risk so I just buy a new case and separate PSU. 

Edited by LHC
  • Like 2

A name brand PSU of 550watts if using a low end vid card or a 650watt one if using a more powerful vid card like a 1660.

https://seasonic.com/wattage-calculator

This link explains the different motherboard chip[ sets for AMD

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3582-amd-chipset-differences-b550-vs-x570-b450-x470-zen-3

If looking at maybe upgrading to the latest Ryzen 5000 series in the future I'd look at the x570 even though the 550 supports them, the 550 is limited to PCIe-3.

Edited by muon*

@minute Hi mate and thanks for your offer.

I did ask this before on my thread but no response HERE

I have since read that daisy chaining the power cable can cause the graphics card to throttle? Haven't noticed any issues but would prefer to tidy it up regardless if I can use the other PSU ports and separate cables.

Thank you very much

Edited by Bunno77

as @muon* suggested for future compatibility I would pick X570 chipset 

re. PSU: Corsair RM series with very low ripple and noise

re. mobo: my pick would be ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING for very high quality onboard audio and overall good performance for still reasonable money, that's the board I'm planning to upgrade to in coming weeks...

side note: I would avoid all those cheap 4 layers X570 boards from any brand, once its get into high speed high frequency processing and data transfer you might experience additional noise picked up somewhere on the way due to missing 2 extra layers those more expensive (adequately priced) 6 layers boards contain as well as experiencing overheating somewhere due to cheaper parts and manufacturing process and potentially get into reliability issues down the road later, if you can't afford 6 layer board choose B550/B450 chipset instead which should be fine with 4 layers  

Edited by kukynas
corrected type of PSU

19 hours ago, LHC said:

My current PC is a 13 years old machine that still runs well today. With my new build I thought about reusing the case and integrated PSU, but was worried that the power supply is operating on borrowed time. Couldn't bear the risk so I just buy a new case and separate PSU. 

The machine I am using here in the pantry is a fanless design based on the Intel Atom CPU with integrated graphics.

It uses an external PSU like a laptop and is bolted on the back of a 21" monitor.

Does everything I need it to do in a kitchen...............browse the net, emails, watch youtube etc.

http://global.shuttle.com/products/productsDetail?productId=1487

The point being as LHC said, there is nothing usually wrong with older computers (this would be 10 years old) that a SSD and fresh O/s install can't fix!

Unless of course, you need to edit video or play games.

• Like 3

On 04/01/2021 at 7:41 PM, minute said:

If 3600 doesn't work then run them at 3400 and tighten the timings. I can provide you with recommended timings if you wish to go down the manual tuning path.

Update. Spent the weekend putting together the new build and made several minor mistakes. Never mind, when power is on it work just fine. Firstly the bios is still the version shipped with the box, ver 1407 (I think released around April last year; the latest bios is over 3000!). Read outs seem normal, and the Rams freq was 2133 as expected. I switched on D.O.C.P. and it automatically upload the correct target profile of 3600, 16-16-16-36, and 1800 for the CPU. Saved and reboot and it POST ok. Strangely the Rams status freq still display as 2133; however other panels in the bios state the frequency is now 3600. I don't know if DOCP worked or not; I didn't tinker with any other overclock settings.

I installed win 10 and some softwares and drivers ok. The computer seems to be stable for now. I've tried some free benchmarking tool but didn't have time to make sense of it yet. Now for some sleep. 

• Like 1

The first thing you should do @candyflip is change your HDD for a 2.5” SATA SSD.

This will be the biggest improvement you can do, and costs bugger all.

Grab a Samsung 860, and they have free software for doing the change over.

I was thinking I just had to get a new machine, mine is a 2011 i7, but after changing the old spinning drive for the SSD, I don’t need a new machine, the speed up is phenomenal.

If for some reason you end up building a new machine anyway, you can use this drive in it, so you won’t have wasted your money.

Cheers,

Jason.

Edited by koputai
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, koputai said:

The first thing you should do @candyflip is change your HDD for a 2.5” SATA SSD.

The programs/OS disc (C drive)is already a brand new SSD with a fresh install of Win10 and less than half full, so changing out the HDD (D drive) in this case won't help.

It's just being used for storage at present, no access.

But thank you.  ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Batty said:

My PC is 2 years old now and still boots in around 15 seconds. M.2 for HDD everytime.

My SSD boots pretty fast on my big rig but I'm still looking at one of these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pcie-To-M2-Adapter-Nvme-Ssd-M2-Pcie-X1-Raiser-Pci-E-Pci-Express-M-Key-Conn-C-Hd-/254810352047?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10 as I've gone back to a motherboard that is 7 or 8 years old (1st i7) and has no m2 slot!

14 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

My SSD boots pretty fast on my big rig but I'm still looking at one of these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pcie-To-M2-Adapter-Nvme-Ssd-M2-Pcie-X1-Raiser-Pci-E-Pci-Express-M-Key-Conn-C-Hd-/254810352047?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10 as I've gone back to a motherboard that is 7 or 8 years old (1st i7) and has no m2 slot!

I know this is just games but seems to be pretty similar with all tasks. Few other comparison vids on YouTube 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @minute

I think I've done it. Here is a screenshot when I ran Ryzen Master with my D.O.C.P. setting. The memory clock speed, fabric speed, and sub timings all seem to match the target profile. Can I take this to mean my overclock is successful? So far after a full day of use we observed no signs of instability so that is reassuring. We will increase the load over the week and see how it goes. 

1100680251_Screenshot2021-01-12042540.thumb.png.47d6e4470f463d1b79dc72ac03ff05ba.png

• Like 1

I think for me, it's probably a mix of pre-built and bought separate DIY install components.

So perhap buying a min spec case, min RAM, good power supply and motherboard pre-built, and then adding in a best-spec-for-money processor, GPU and extra RAM on top?

That way I can get the basic case & mobo design already hooked up and done, and then add the best of the plug-and-play I find on top of that base.

I might stretch the budget to $1K overall.

Putting a PC together is real easy these days, may kids do it It's that easy.

Just look at how to handle things, from the PCB edges and not touching chips or connector and circuitry and your fine.

Lots of videos like this show how to do so. (i haven't watched this one but I'm sure it's OK, just remember that if you are using a supplied Ryzen cpu cooler leave the brackets that come on the motherboard for CPU cooler in place.)

13 minutes ago, LHC said:

@candyflip

You could try this online tool to put together the parts to fit your budget. The tool could also highlight any known compatibility issues between chosen parts. 

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/

It's this highlghted bit I'm wary of - I know a lot of stuff is just plug-it-in these days, but it's the deep knowledge of putting the right compnents together that is the catch for those of us who don't do this every week.

Thanks.

$219 is not a bad price for a Ryzen 5 2600 - you still get 6 cores and 12 threads for video editing.

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/amd-ryzen-5-2600-6-core-socket-am4-34ghz-cpu-processor-wraith-stealth-cooler-ac12828

(Exercise caution when purchasing online, sometimes websites make mistakes in their product descriptions, I almost got caught recently. Always best practise to check the part number to be sure) 

• Thanks 1

Hi muon,

I see Centre Com has a big sale at the moment.    If you have time can you look at the home PC pre builds for simple non gaming use and let me know if anything is good buying please.

$1200 to $1700 range.   No screen required.   Need cd burner.

Regards Cazzesman.