Free advice - PC builds

Hi all,

As a way of giving back to the community, I am happy to provide free advice for anyone wishing to build PCs whether it's for gaming, audio and whatnot. I have built hundreds of PCs and always keep up to date on what's latest and greatest.

Please post your questions here or you can message me directly. I will respond when I can

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

About to start a new build soon with my son, so appreciate the offer here. Mainly for gaming, studies and some general use. 

Parts:

• Ryzen 5 3600
  • ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Plus Wi-Fi
  • GSkill Ripjaws V F4-3600C16D-16GVK
  • WD Blue SN550 1TB
  • Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2
  • Li Lancool II Mesh RGB
  • Corsair RM750x

I purchased the parts over a number of months and was constrained by price and availability - I couldn't always get the best deals and parts are not optimal for future proofing. They would do for now.

I am reusing a 1 Series GPU for now until the new 3 Series prices settle down with availability (and competition from AMD). I am holding out for a reasonably priced 3060Ti towards the end of the year.

Appreciate if you could share any known tips or pitfalls when building with these parts. 

Question: Lancool II is a big case and the RM750x is modular with shorter cables. Do you recommend the use of cable extensions? 

Edited by LHC

If you can manage it the latest series of Ryzen are much better performers in gaming, so the Ryzen 5 5600X.

Just make sure the Asus 570 motherboard has a up to date bios version that supports the 5000 series.

Edit: SCRATCH the above, I missed that you alread have the parts.

Edited by muon*
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, muon* said:

If you can manage it the latest series of Ryzen are much better performers in gaming, so the Ryzen 5 5600X.

Just make sure the Asus 570 motherboard has a up to date bios version that supports the 5000 series.

Edit: SCRATCH the above, I missed that you alread have the parts.

Appreciate your comments.

Unfortunately I bought the CPU before they release the 5600X; it also requires a $200 premium. 

I have read bios update issues with this Asus X570 MB so am dreading it. I will definitely flash it with the latest bios and fingers crossed.

9 minutes ago, LHC said:

Appreciate your comments.

Unfortunately I bought the CPU before they release the 5600X; it also requires a $200 premium. 

I have read bios update issues with this Asus X570 MB so am dreading it. I will definitely flash it with the latest bios and fingers crossed.

I re built the flatmate's system the week after the 5000 series release, I grabbed a 5800X and an  Asus Prime X570-P, that board needed flashing. PITA as they told me it would be fine in the shop so I had to take it back and get them to flash it for me as my earlier Ryzen 1700 Pro didn't work in it for the flash.

The board you have will be fine for the 3600X as that's the previous Ryzen series, but will likely need an update if you decide to put a 5000 series CPU in it.

On 03/01/2021 at 3:30 AM, LHC said:

About to start a new build soon with my son, so appreciate the offer here. Mainly for gaming, studies and some general use. 

Parts:

• Ryzen 5 3600
  • ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Plus Wi-Fi
  • GSkill Ripjaws V F4-3600C16D-16GVK
  • WD Blue SN550 1TB
  • Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2
  • Li Lancool II Mesh RGB
  • Corsair RM750x

I purchased the parts over a number of months and was constrained by price and availability - I couldn't always get the best deals and parts are not optimal for future proofing. They would do for now.

I am reusing a 1 Series GPU for now until the new 3 Series prices settle down with availability (and competition from AMD). I am holding out for a reasonably priced 3060Ti towards the end of the year.

Appreciate if you could share any known tips or pitfalls when building with these parts. 

Question: Lancool II is a big case and the RM750x is modular with shorter cables. Do you recommend the use of cable extensions? 

Hi LHC,

You shouldn't have any issues with cable length for the PSU in that case

I wouldn't suggest updating the bios if you are on the old series CPU. Use it as is and if you run into any stability issues, I will help you find the latest update that is stable for your CPU

Your CPU infinity clock may not be able to run at 1800 (if you are looking to run your RAM at 3600)

I would not recommend a 3060 TI. If you plan to go the 3 series, then the 3070 is much better value - (if not a cheap 3080). An older AMD card (5700xt) or a 6800 would also be better value.

Regards,

I always update bios unless there is a known issue with them, as they often mainly improve compatibility and performance even with what you are currently using....

Not much to be gained running ram higher than 3200 in real life, but check in the bios that it hasn't defaulted to lower than that, if it has defaulted at 2800 manually set to 3200, you will get tighter timings at lower speeds.

On 04/01/2021 at 3:45 PM, minute said:

You shouldn't have any issues with cable length for the PSU in that case

Thanks, that is nice to know.

Your CPU infinity clock may not be able to run at 1800 (if you are looking to run your RAM at 3600)

I want to aim for 3600 that is why I paid the extra cost. I do know the performance gained is not much, but I get to brag about having a pair of vaunt 'Samsung b die' ???   

I would not recommend a 3060 TI. If you plan to go the 3 series, then the 3070 is much better value - (if not a cheap 3080). An older AMD card (5700xt) or a 6800 would also be better value.

Good advice. I want the option for my son to try some machine learning so Nvidia is the preferred choice. Hoping hard for a cheap 3080 by the next Black Friday sale ?   

Edited by LHC

7 minutes ago, LHC said:

Thanks, that is nice to know.

I want to aim for 3600 that is why I paid the extra cost. I do know the performance gained is not much, but I get to brag about having a pair of vaunt 'Samsung die' ???   

Good advice. I want the option for my son to try some machine learning so Nvidia is the preferred choice. Hoping hard for a cheap 3080 by the next Black Friday sale ?   

If 3600 doesn't work then run them at 3400 and tighten the timings. I can provide you with recommended timings if you wish to go down the manual tuning path.

• Thanks 1

They should automatically run tighter timings when running at a lower bandwidth in that board.

Edit: oops, I only just noticed this thread is for minute to advise.

Edited by muon*

1 hour ago, minute said:

If 3600 doesn't work then run them at 3400 and tighten the timings. I can provide you with recommended timings if you wish to go down the manual tuning path.

I assume by 'manual tuning path' you mean abandon the use of D.O.C.P ?

I will let you know how it goes when I get to that stage. 

46 minutes ago, muon* said:

Edit: oops, I only just noticed this thread is for minute to advise.

This is an open forum right, so I don't think it works that way. I think all positive and constructive posts will be appreciated.

• Love 1

Well ask away candyman and lets see how we go. I had plenty of good help from some of the gents above in my recent whizzbang gaming rig build.

Murray, stop being so bloody sensible all the time?

2 hours ago, LHC said:

This is an open forum right, so I don't think it works that way. I think all positive and constructive posts will be appreciated.

I've likely interpreted the thread title incorrectly in It's full meaning, but was airing on the side of caution :$

Be typical of me to ruffle feathers by trying not to ruffle feathers :S xD

I had something else to say on the PC side but would need to look in my Asus bios to get it right, and I'm too lazy to do that :o I think the TUF bios might be slightly different, or not...not sure.

The more the merrier :)

There will always be disagreements and everyone has their opinion on what's optimal. I tend to keep those opinions to myself if someone posts conflicting opinions as long as I believe there's no real harm in the advice.

• Like 2

I've currently got a desktop of the following specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor (2.8Ghz)

16gb Ram,

Radeon HD6950 2gb video card

Windows 10

160GB SCSI Hard drive on D for data files, 120GB SSD on C for programs

It runs slowly for graphics, and video editing (which is my main use) and is just managing the workload, but I'm afraid the next update of my video editing software might ruin it.   :)   I don't game, so that's not a problem.

I've already had a few of the ol' blue screens of death over the last few months (I thought they were gone in Windows now?   Clearly not...)

Thoughts on an upgrade/build path?

Edited by candyflip
text colour

Hi,

Not sure what your budget is or how big your PC case is but, I'd start with the CPU.

Upgrade to the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - Motherboard dependent. What is your motherboard would you know? Would really help with offering suggestions.

Then grab the GTX-1080i from the classifieds, can't believe this is still for sale. I'm so tempted myself lol.

Then depending on your motherboard, look at memory, then maybe new fans for cooling.

A quick fix / stop gap could also just be a good clean out! You would be amazed at how much fine dust gets into everything no matter how clean your office is lol. Do the fans turn on often at the moment? or run at a high speed?

The AMD Phenom II was released about 10 years ago I think. The heat sink paste could do with being replaced, even after 2-3 years I pull mine out, clean, new good quality paste & re-seat.

Hope it helps or at least points you in the right direction :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Synodontis said:

Hi,

Not sure what your budget is or how big your PC case is but, I'd start with the CPU.

Upgrade to the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - Motherboard dependent. What is your motherboard would you know? Would really help with offering suggestions.

I did , but have forgotten - I'll pull the case off and check back in.

I do know it's at it's maximum of 16GB RAM memory upgrade right now.  :( 

Then grab the GTX-1080i from the classifieds, can't believe this is still for sale. I'm so tempted myself lol.

At $500 for the card alone, too rich for me I'm afraid.
My whole current PC cost less than $400.

A quick fix / stop gap could also just be a good clean out! You would be amazed at how much fine dust gets into everything no matter how clean your office is lol. Do the fans turn on often at the moment? or run at a high speed?

No, they're about normal.

The whole PC was given a big clean out when I purchased it 6 months ago s/hand.

The AMD Phenom II was released about 10 years ago I think. The heat sink paste could do with being replaced, even after 2-3 years I pull mine out, clean, new good quality paste & re-seat.

I haven't done that level of DIY with a PC - can't hold a soldering iron.

Edited by candyflip

5 hours ago, candyflip said:

I haven't done that level of DIY with a PC - can't hold a soldering iron.

No soldering iron needed.

PC's are very plug n play these days, and re applying thermal paste is pretty easy. This guy seems to apply the new paste to the heat sink, I just place a large rice gran size blob in the center of the CPU and the pressure refitting the sink does the spreading. The trick is not too little paste but also not too much.

Good Lord!

A SCSI hard drive!

Ahem!

As said, cleaning the CPU fan and fresh thermal paste is the easiest and cheapest way to start.

That old stuff doesn't come off that easy like in that long, drawn out video that muon* posted.

DeSolvit or similar product from Bunnings spayed on a paper towel will have it off in seconds.

Adding more case fans blowing air out might help as well.

Blue screens and freezes in my experience are mostly caused by...........

1 - Overheating

2 - PSU voltage instability - usually caused by overheating or an overtaxed poorly specced PSU about to fail.

3 - Do a fresh install of Windows before proceeding to number 4.

4 - Memory or mother board problems - these take ages to pin down so I usually advise to get a new computer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, candyflip said:

I've currently got a desktop of the following specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor (2.8Ghz)

16gb Ram,

Radeon HD6950 2gb video card

Windows 10

160GB SCSI Hard drive on D for data files, 120GB SSD on C for programs

It runs slowly for graphics, and video editing (which is my main use) and is just managing the workload, but I'm afraid the next update of my video editing software might ruin it.   :)   I don't game, so that's not a problem.

I've already had a few of the ol' blue screens of death over the last few months (I thought they were gone in Windows now?   Clearly not...)

Thoughts on an upgrade/build path?

definitely proc and mobo, for video editing and rendering these days computing power is the most important, as suggested Ryzen 5 3600 and adequate mobo, you might need to buy new RAM for that mobo, next leap in speed of processing anything would be fast nvme SSD 

Edited by kukynas
spelling