Hi all,

As a way of giving back to the community, I am happy to provide free advice for anyone wishing to build PCs whether it's for gaming, audio and whatnot. I have built hundreds of PCs and always keep up to date on what's latest and greatest.

Please post your questions here or you can message me directly. I will respond when I can

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, As a way of giving back to the community, I am happy to provide free advice for anyone wishing to build PCs whether it's for gaming, audio and whatnot. I have built hundreds of PCs and

Wish I was close by, I'd build it for you.   Mine and the flatmate's I built recently, well they were rebuilds....new motherboards, CPU's, RAM and M2 SSD's.      

I know this is just games but seems to be pretty similar with all tasks. Few other comparison vids on YouTube   

About to start a new build soon with my son, so appreciate the offer here. Mainly for gaming, studies and some general use. 

Parts:

• Ryzen 5 3600
  • ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Plus Wi-Fi
  • GSkill Ripjaws V F4-3600C16D-16GVK
  • WD Blue SN550 1TB
  • Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2
  • Li Lancool II Mesh RGB
  • Corsair RM750x

I purchased the parts over a number of months and was constrained by price and availability - I couldn't always get the best deals and parts are not optimal for future proofing. They would do for now.

I am reusing a 1 Series GPU for now until the new 3 Series prices settle down with availability (and competition from AMD). I am holding out for a reasonably priced 3060Ti towards the end of the year.

Appreciate if you could share any known tips or pitfalls when building with these parts. 

Question: Lancool II is a big case and the RM750x is modular with shorter cables. Do you recommend the use of cable extensions? 

Edited by LHC

If you can manage it the latest series of Ryzen are much better performers in gaming, so the Ryzen 5 5600X.

Just make sure the Asus 570 motherboard has a up to date bios version that supports the 5000 series.

Edit: SCRATCH the above, I missed that you alread have the parts.

Edited by muon*
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, muon* said:

If you can manage it the latest series of Ryzen are much better performers in gaming, so the Ryzen 5 5600X.

Just make sure the Asus 570 motherboard has a up to date bios version that supports the 5000 series.

Edit: SCRATCH the above, I missed that you alread have the parts.

Appreciate your comments.

Unfortunately I bought the CPU before they release the 5600X; it also requires a $200 premium. 

I have read bios update issues with this Asus X570 MB so am dreading it. I will definitely flash it with the latest bios and fingers crossed.

9 minutes ago, LHC said:

Appreciate your comments.

Unfortunately I bought the CPU before they release the 5600X; it also requires a $200 premium. 

I have read bios update issues with this Asus X570 MB so am dreading it. I will definitely flash it with the latest bios and fingers crossed.

I re built the flatmate's system the week after the 5000 series release, I grabbed a 5800X and an  Asus Prime X570-P, that board needed flashing. PITA as they told me it would be fine in the shop so I had to take it back and get them to flash it for me as my earlier Ryzen 1700 Pro didn't work in it for the flash.

The board you have will be fine for the 3600X as that's the previous Ryzen series, but will likely need an update if you decide to put a 5000 series CPU in it.

On 03/01/2021 at 3:30 AM, LHC said:

About to start a new build soon with my son, so appreciate the offer here. Mainly for gaming, studies and some general use. 

Parts:

• Ryzen 5 3600
  • ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Plus Wi-Fi
  • GSkill Ripjaws V F4-3600C16D-16GVK
  • WD Blue SN550 1TB
  • Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2
  • Li Lancool II Mesh RGB
  • Corsair RM750x

I purchased the parts over a number of months and was constrained by price and availability - I couldn't always get the best deals and parts are not optimal for future proofing. They would do for now.

I am reusing a 1 Series GPU for now until the new 3 Series prices settle down with availability (and competition from AMD). I am holding out for a reasonably priced 3060Ti towards the end of the year.

Appreciate if you could share any known tips or pitfalls when building with these parts. 

Question: Lancool II is a big case and the RM750x is modular with shorter cables. Do you recommend the use of cable extensions? 

Hi LHC,

You shouldn't have any issues with cable length for the PSU in that case

I wouldn't suggest updating the bios if you are on the old series CPU. Use it as is and if you run into any stability issues, I will help you find the latest update that is stable for your CPU

Your CPU infinity clock may not be able to run at 1800 (if you are looking to run your RAM at 3600)

I would not recommend a 3060 TI. If you plan to go the 3 series, then the 3070 is much better value - (if not a cheap 3080). An older AMD card (5700xt) or a 6800 would also be better value.

Regards,

I always update bios unless there is a known issue with them, as they often mainly improve compatibility and performance even with what you are currently using....

Not much to be gained running ram higher than 3200 in real life, but check in the bios that it hasn't defaulted to lower than that, if it has defaulted at 2800 manually set to 3200, you will get tighter timings at lower speeds.

On 04/01/2021 at 3:45 PM, minute said:

You shouldn't have any issues with cable length for the PSU in that case

Thanks, that is nice to know.

Your CPU infinity clock may not be able to run at 1800 (if you are looking to run your RAM at 3600)

I want to aim for 3600 that is why I paid the extra cost. I do know the performance gained is not much, but I get to brag about having a pair of vaunt 'Samsung b die' 😅😅😅   

I would not recommend a 3060 TI. If you plan to go the 3 series, then the 3070 is much better value - (if not a cheap 3080). An older AMD card (5700xt) or a 6800 would also be better value.

Good advice. I want the option for my son to try some machine learning so Nvidia is the preferred choice. Hoping hard for a cheap 3080 by the next Black Friday sale 😄   

Edited by LHC

7 minutes ago, LHC said:

Thanks, that is nice to know.

I want to aim for 3600 that is why I paid the extra cost. I do know the performance gained is not much, but I get to brag about having a pair of vaunt 'Samsung die' 😅😅😅   

Good advice. I want the option for my son to try some machine learning so Nvidia is the preferred choice. Hoping hard for a cheap 3080 by the next Black Friday sale 😄   

If 3600 doesn't work then run them at 3400 and tighten the timings. I can provide you with recommended timings if you wish to go down the manual tuning path.

• Thanks 1

They should automatically run tighter timings when running at a lower bandwidth in that board.

Edit: oops, I only just noticed this thread is for minute to advise.

Edited by muon*
1 hour ago, minute said:

If 3600 doesn't work then run them at 3400 and tighten the timings. I can provide you with recommended timings if you wish to go down the manual tuning path.

I assume by 'manual tuning path' you mean abandon the use of D.O.C.P 🙂

I will let you know how it goes when I get to that stage. 

46 minutes ago, muon* said:

Edit: oops, I only just noticed this thread is for minute to advise.

This is an open forum right, so I don't think it works that way. I think all positive and constructive posts will be appreciated.

• Love 1

Yes, surely both can pitch in?

Community spirit, sharing our knowledge and all that.

The greater, generous, good?

I have some questions myself I’d appreciate anyone with experience weighing in on.

I guess as the OP it's for @minute to make the call as to whether this is more open or closed. As a bystander it's all looked amicable and constructive to me - good clear answers from people know their stuff. Maybe if there's dispute on a technical matter then @minute has the casting vote/ presiding voice

• Like 1

Well ask away candyman and lets see how we go. I had plenty of good help from some of the gents above in my recent whizzbang gaming rig build.

Murray, stop being so bloody sensible all the time🙏

2 hours ago, LHC said:

This is an open forum right, so I don't think it works that way. I think all positive and constructive posts will be appreciated.

I've likely interpreted the thread title incorrectly in It's full meaning, but was airing on the side of caution :$

Be typical of me to ruffle feathers by trying not to ruffle feathers :S xD

I had something else to say on the PC side but would need to look in my Asus bios to get it right, and I'm too lazy to do that :o I think the TUF bios might be slightly different, or not...not sure.

The more the merrier :)

There will always be disagreements and everyone has their opinion on what's optimal. I tend to keep those opinions to myself if someone posts conflicting opinions as long as I believe there's no real harm in the advice.

• Like 2

I've currently got a desktop of the following specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor (2.8Ghz)

16gb Ram,

Radeon HD6950 2gb video card

Windows 10

160GB SCSI Hard drive on D for data files, 120GB SSD on C for programs

It runs slowly for graphics, and video editing (which is my main use) and is just managing the workload, but I'm afraid the next update of my video editing software might ruin it.   :)   I don't game, so that's not a problem.

I've already had a few of the ol' blue screens of death over the last few months (I thought they were gone in Windows now?   Clearly not...)

Thoughts on an upgrade/build path?

Edited by candyflip
text colour

Hi,

Not sure what your budget is or how big your PC case is but, I'd start with the CPU.

Upgrade to the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - Motherboard dependent. What is your motherboard would you know? Would really help with offering suggestions.

Then grab the GTX-1080i from the classifieds, can't believe this is still for sale. I'm so tempted myself lol.

Then depending on your motherboard, look at memory, then maybe new fans for cooling.

A quick fix / stop gap could also just be a good clean out! You would be amazed at how much fine dust gets into everything no matter how clean your office is lol. Do the fans turn on often at the moment? or run at a high speed?

The AMD Phenom II was released about 10 years ago I think. The heat sink paste could do with being replaced, even after 2-3 years I pull mine out, clean, new good quality paste & re-seat.

Hope it helps or at least points you in the right direction :)

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Synodontis said:

Hi,

Not sure what your budget is or how big your PC case is but, I'd start with the CPU.

Upgrade to the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - Motherboard dependent. What is your motherboard would you know? Would really help with offering suggestions.

I did , but have forgotten - I'll pull the case off and check back in.

I do know it's at it's maximum of 16GB RAM memory upgrade right now.  :( 

Then grab the GTX-1080i from the classifieds, can't believe this is still for sale. I'm so tempted myself lol.

At $500 for the card alone, too rich for me I'm afraid.
My whole current PC cost less than $400.

A quick fix / stop gap could also just be a good clean out! You would be amazed at how much fine dust gets into everything no matter how clean your office is lol. Do the fans turn on often at the moment? or run at a high speed?

No, they're about normal.

The whole PC was given a big clean out when I purchased it 6 months ago s/hand.

The AMD Phenom II was released about 10 years ago I think. The heat sink paste could do with being replaced, even after 2-3 years I pull mine out, clean, new good quality paste & re-seat.

I haven't done that level of DIY with a PC - can't hold a soldering iron.

Edited by candyflip
5 hours ago, candyflip said:

I haven't done that level of DIY with a PC - can't hold a soldering iron.

No soldering iron needed.

PC's are very plug n play these days, and re applying thermal paste is pretty easy. This guy seems to apply the new paste to the heat sink, I just place a large rice gran size blob in the center of the CPU and the pressure refitting the sink does the spreading. The trick is not too little paste but also not too much.

Good Lord!

A SCSI hard drive!

Ahem!

As said, cleaning the CPU fan and fresh thermal paste is the easiest and cheapest way to start.

That old stuff doesn't come off that easy like in that long, drawn out video that muon* posted.

DeSolvit or similar product from Bunnings spayed on a paper towel will have it off in seconds.

Adding more case fans blowing air out might help as well.

Blue screens and freezes in my experience are mostly caused by...........

1 - Overheating

2 - PSU voltage instability - usually caused by overheating or an overtaxed poorly specced PSU about to fail.

3 - Do a fresh install of Windows before proceeding to number 4.

4 - Memory or mother board problems - these take ages to pin down so I usually advise to get a new computer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, candyflip said:

I've currently got a desktop of the following specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor (2.8Ghz)

16gb Ram,

Radeon HD6950 2gb video card

Windows 10

160GB SCSI Hard drive on D for data files, 120GB SSD on C for programs

It runs slowly for graphics, and video editing (which is my main use) and is just managing the workload, but I'm afraid the next update of my video editing software might ruin it.   :)   I don't game, so that's not a problem.

I've already had a few of the ol' blue screens of death over the last few months (I thought they were gone in Windows now?   Clearly not...)

Thoughts on an upgrade/build path?

definitely proc and mobo, for video editing and rendering these days computing power is the most important, as suggested Ryzen 5 3600 and adequate mobo, you might need to buy new RAM for that mobo, next leap in speed of processing anything would be fast nvme SSD 

Edited by kukynas
spelling
6 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

4 - Memory or mother board problems - these take ages to pin down so I usually advise to get a new computer.

I think this is where I'm realistically heading.

Some helpful tips for a Ryzen 5 3600 new build for content creation. Note that it is a 2019 video so there are better choices of motherboard like B550 today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A asrock board with X570 chipset, Rayzen 5 3600 CPU and 32Gb of DDR4 gskill (2400) will cost $777 from umart.

Need to make sure the power supply has the correct connectors for the motherboard and is appropriately rated for all it will be powering.

Knock $100 off it if you go for a cheap lower end 550 chipset board

Edited by muon*
  • Thanks 1

My current PC is a 13 years old machine that still runs well today. With my new build I thought about reusing the case and integrated PSU, but was worried that the power supply is operating on borrowed time. Couldn't bear the risk so I just buy a new case and separate PSU. 

Edited by LHC
  • Like 2

A name brand PSU of 550watts if using a low end vid card or a 650watt one if using a more powerful vid card like a 1660.

https://seasonic.com/wattage-calculator

This link explains the different motherboard chip[ sets for AMD

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3582-amd-chipset-differences-b550-vs-x570-b450-x470-zen-3

If looking at maybe upgrading to the latest Ryzen 5000 series in the future I'd look at the x570 even though the 550 supports them, the 550 is limited to PCIe-3.

Edited by muon*

@minute Hi mate and thanks for your offer.

I did ask this before on my thread but no response HERE

I have since read that daisy chaining the power cable can cause the graphics card to throttle? Haven't noticed any issues but would prefer to tidy it up regardless if I can use the other PSU ports and separate cables.

Thank you very much

Edited by Bunno77

as @muon* suggested for future compatibility I would pick X570 chipset 

re. PSU: Corsair RM series with very low ripple and noise

re. mobo: my pick would be ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING for very high quality onboard audio and overall good performance for still reasonable money, that's the board I'm planning to upgrade to in coming weeks...

side note: I would avoid all those cheap 4 layers X570 boards from any brand, once its get into high speed high frequency processing and data transfer you might experience additional noise picked up somewhere on the way due to missing 2 extra layers those more expensive (adequately priced) 6 layers boards contain as well as experiencing overheating somewhere due to cheaper parts and manufacturing process and potentially get into reliability issues down the road later, if you can't afford 6 layer board choose B550/B450 chipset instead which should be fine with 4 layers  

Edited by kukynas
corrected type of PSU
19 hours ago, LHC said:

My current PC is a 13 years old machine that still runs well today. With my new build I thought about reusing the case and integrated PSU, but was worried that the power supply is operating on borrowed time. Couldn't bear the risk so I just buy a new case and separate PSU. 

The machine I am using here in the pantry is a fanless design based on the Intel Atom CPU with integrated graphics.

It uses an external PSU like a laptop and is bolted on the back of a 21" monitor.

Does everything I need it to do in a kitchen...............browse the net, emails, watch youtube etc.

http://global.shuttle.com/products/productsDetail?productId=1487

The point being as LHC said, there is nothing usually wrong with older computers (this would be 10 years old) that a SSD and fresh O/s install can't fix!

Unless of course, you need to edit video or play games.

• Like 3
On 04/01/2021 at 7:41 PM, minute said:

Update. Spent the weekend putting together the new build and made several minor mistakes. Never mind, when power is on it work just fine. Firstly the bios is still the version shipped with the box, ver 1407 (I think released around April last year; the latest bios is over 3000!). Read outs seem normal, and the Rams freq was 2133 as expected. I switched on D.O.C.P. and it automatically upload the correct target profile of 3600, 16-16-16-36, and 1800 for the CPU. Saved and reboot and it POST ok. Strangely the Rams status freq still display as 2133; however other panels in the bios state the frequency is now 3600. I don't know if DOCP worked or not; I didn't tinker with any other overclock settings.

I installed win 10 and some softwares and drivers ok. The computer seems to be stable for now. I've tried some free benchmarking tool but didn't have time to make sense of it yet. Now for some sleep. 

• Like 1

The first thing you should do @candyflip is change your HDD for a 2.5” SATA SSD.

This will be the biggest improvement you can do, and costs bugger all.

Grab a Samsung 860, and they have free software for doing the change over.

I was thinking I just had to get a new machine, mine is a 2011 i7, but after changing the old spinning drive for the SSD, I don’t need a new machine, the speed up is phenomenal.

If for some reason you end up building a new machine anyway, you can use this drive in it, so you won’t have wasted your money.

Cheers,

Jason.

Edited by koputai
  • Thanks 1

My PC is 2 years old now and still boots in around 15 seconds. M.2 for HDD everytime.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, koputai said:

The first thing you should do @candyflip is change your HDD for a 2.5” SATA SSD.

The programs/OS disc (C drive)is already a brand new SSD with a fresh install of Win10 and less than half full, so changing out the HDD (D drive) in this case won't help.

It's just being used for storage at present, no access.

But thank you.  🙏

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, candyflip said:

The programs/OS disc (C drive)is already a brand new SSD

Oops sorry, I missed that.

Back to your normal viewing............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Batty said:

My PC is 2 years old now and still boots in around 15 seconds. M.2 for HDD everytime.

My SSD boots pretty fast on my big rig but I'm still looking at one of these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pcie-To-M2-Adapter-Nvme-Ssd-M2-Pcie-X1-Raiser-Pci-E-Pci-Express-M-Key-Conn-C-Hd-/254810352047?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10 as I've gone back to a motherboard that is 7 or 8 years old (1st i7) and has no m2 slot!

14 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

My SSD boots pretty fast on my big rig but I'm still looking at one of these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pcie-To-M2-Adapter-Nvme-Ssd-M2-Pcie-X1-Raiser-Pci-E-Pci-Express-M-Key-Conn-C-Hd-/254810352047?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10 as I've gone back to a motherboard that is 7 or 8 years old (1st i7) and has no m2 slot!

I know this is just games but seems to be pretty similar with all tasks. Few other comparison vids on YouTube 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @minute

I think I've done it. Here is a screenshot when I ran Ryzen Master with my D.O.C.P. setting. The memory clock speed, fabric speed, and sub timings all seem to match the target profile. Can I take this to mean my overclock is successful? So far after a full day of use we observed no signs of instability so that is reassuring. We will increase the load over the week and see how it goes. 

1100680251_Screenshot2021-01-12042540.thumb.png.47d6e4470f463d1b79dc72ac03ff05ba.png

• Like 1