Musical Fidelity M8 Pre & Power

Hi all, 

As the title suggests was wondering if anybody is running this combo? 

Looking at replacing my current pre/power set up

I'll be running into VA Beethoven Concert Grandes and a pair of Ascension 10" subs

OPPO 205 doing DAC streaming duties at the moment but I'm weighing up again if I want to keep it since I never use the 4k side of things and I'd be utilising the phono stage in the pre. 

Can't audition the MF gear without travelling interstate and that's an issue at the moment. 

@TerryO has suggested a hybrid approach, but I'd be keen to hear others thoughts as well. 

Budget is 10kish but could be stretched..... 

I have also considered the Stellar range, but not sure about running Class D?

Prefer to make this my last big upgrade..................for now?

Cheers

Edited by Gambit 1870
  • Like 1

The general consensus is that the VA 101 exhibits high resolution with total control even over larger drivers, with a very low noise floor...& great musicality. I know of members on SNA who use it with speakers with accuton drivers [Gauder Akoustik & Marten], transmission line speakers [PMC Twentyfive.26], & Vivid Audio B1 [with fibre-loaded polymer complex & vented cabinet]

Apparently it is “high bias AB amp,” so the first 12 watts per channel are in full Class -A mode."

Speakers used in reviews include: Focal Stella Utopia EM, Raidho D1.1, & GamuT Zodiac

Reviews: Tone Audio,

Hi-F+,

SS Australia

I own m6 pre and m8 500. I like them. Details, bass are all there. They are driving focal speakers. A little bit brighter than passlabs but I’m ok with it, more exciting ?

as you plan to use sub anyway, I think vitus can be a good choice as well. 

@JD1 I ended up going with the Vitus Audio that was for sale, for me this will probably be an end game amplifier..... I hope.

It's a buy blind and hope scenario, but I doubt I'll be disappointed ?

Edited by Gambit 1870
  • Like 3

Do report back, people are here to help and sharing and would like your feedback. Because lots of us buy blind as well ?

• Like 4

I own the Musical Fidelity M8 700i monos and also the M8 pre too.

The M8 700i monos are fantastic. Clean, accurate, powerful, holographic, and warm.

The M8 pre amp was rather disappointing. I sold it since it was inferior to the Pass Labs X2.5 pre and Pass Labs XP-10.

Recently, I sold the Pass Lab X2.5 pre and Pass Labs XP-10 too. A mate brought over his old Primaluna Prologue Pre amp.

The Primaluna was better in ever single way, by a very big significant margin of improvement.

Hence, now I have bought the new flagship Primaluna Evo 400 pre amp. Absolutely, killed the Musical Fidelity and Pass Labs X2.5/XP-10 straight out of the box.

Replaced the standard Primaluna tubes with new Russian made Genalex 12AU7 Gold Lions. Absolute- musical nirvana my friends!

• Like 2

MF amps are generally good considering their price. The same can't be said about their pre amps. Over 20 years, I have owned many MF amps and a few pre amps.

Primaluna pre amps are a game changer, especially for their pre amps. All the draw backs of tubes are negated, at the lower lower voltages of pre amps. Transience, tonal accuracy, decay, low noise floor, holographic, musicality, ambience, and even a prominate bass slam! Makes, solid state pre amps sound, relatively thin, digital, brittle, noisy, and lacking in natural solidity in voice and instruments.