Rotel A11 Enough Power For PMC Floor Standers ?

I had a look through the PMC owners thread and there is some division between whether PMC's are for rock/metal or not.

I listen to Sabbath, Death Metal, Doom and all sorts of metal.

Fast tight extended bass is a requirement, forward speakers such as Klipsch give me a headache.

I have Monitor Audio Silver 500's but I'm interested in any comparisons between PMC's current floor stander's and MA Silver's.

Not sure if PMC is a step up or sideways.

This is for a 2nd smaller system, though at sensible volume levels 50w from the A11 should be enough.

Perhaps the end game system for me would be the Silver 500's or PMC with a Rotel RB 1552 or 1582 power amp.

Other power amps I have been considering are Anthem MCA225 and Parasound A23+.

Source will be Zen Mini MK3 with RMA's ADI-2 DAC controlling tone and volume.

Sorry if this post is a bit unclear in which way I will go.

For rock Doom, and Death metal the MA Silver 500's will be far superior, but having said this, they are not just a one-trick-pony. I have a pair and they do every style of music with energy, grace and a very life like and  balanced sound.

Others will no doubt disagree but that is my 02.

If you think that a Rotel RB-1582 would do a good job then give the RB-991 or RB-1080 a try. They can be had rather cheaply 2nd hand and are virtually identical to the 1582. Rotel really stuck to that amp’s topology over the years.

For what it’s worth Bryston pairs very well with PMC. I’ve noticed some good deals on Bryston amps on the Forum recently. I had the early GB1’s and PMC’s absolutely reward when coupled with a high current amp. That being said Rotel is very good.

Having had both an RB-991 and (currently) an RA-1592, I can tell you that the 991 will get you the same headroom and control as the newer stuff, but it is not quite as clean. But hey, if you're listening to music where the guitar has already passed through a fuzz pedal or three, a little bit of extra grit ain't gonna hurt. 😁 The 991 lacks a 12v trigger, however, which is a bit of a pain.

As for speakers with articulate bass suiting metal, maybe looking at some JBLs might be worthwhile. They have a newer, smaller L100-inspired speaker called the L82 that might suit a smaller system like you're thinking about. It's not a floorstander, and the looks are divisive, but the pedigree and the measurements are both excellent. Doesn't need much juice to get going, either. 

14 minutes ago, twofires said:

Having had both an RB-991 and (currently) an RA-1592, I can tell you that the 991 will get you the same headroom and control as the newer stuff, but it is not quite as clean. 

Yes, I suppose after 20 years or so many of those 991s would likely benefit from a recap. The specced THD and IMD figures have remained unchanged, as far as I can tell.

13 minutes ago, Steffen said:

Yes, I suppose after 20 years or so many of those 991s would likely benefit from a recap. The specced THD and IMD figures have remained unchanged, as far as I can tell.

FWIW, the 991 I had was given a clean bill of health by a tech - all he said he had to do was adjust the gain back to spec.

It's possible the difference to my ears was a grounding issue. The RB-991 is earthed, the RA-1592 is floating.

Either way, a check up for an amp of that age is worthwhile if you go down that road.

Thank's all. Will look into the Rotels, Bryston and JBL's.

Krix Acoustic MK2 has come up in my search, look's like it will do better bass than the usual one woofer plus tweeter configurations.

1 hour ago, MP0001 said:

Yes Sir, a pair of those will do fine. 

More than you’d think, I also have a 1552 MK2 along with 3 1581’s, the other weekend I did a swap from my 2 1581’s on the front and put the 1552 there, and this after hearing the 1581’s for 5 years, needless to say the 1552 was unplugged after 10mins. World of difference. It’s why I arch up when people put all Rotels  in the same category.

Those Mono’s  are a rare thing, I’m the only one I know of here who has owned them. 

Edited by Sime
  • Like 1

Hey Sime, what speakers are you using with the 1581's ?

Nearest amp they do today is the 1590.

34 minutes ago, MP0001 said:

Hey Sime, what speakers are you using with the 1581's ?

Nearest amp they do today is the 1590.

B&W 805D3’s. That 1590 is the next best option, it’s a big fella. 

Wow, I'd love to hear the 805D3's, class all the way.

1590 just went on sale today at a couple places here in Melb at $500 off, what a coincidence. I may have to see if they do lay-by as it would have to be ordered in.

May end up with 1590 into Krix Acoustix MKII.

Yeah it sure look's like a big fella.

• Like 1