New project - TG’s Faital 3 way classic 15”

7 hours ago, Peter_F said:

Hello Hugh

Can you please tell me which felt you're using and where you purchased it? 

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete, the felt was supplied by Jantzen Audio, sorry I don’t know any other details on it.  It’s about  8-10mm thick. 

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woohoo!!   for reference, that’s a 60 inch TV.  It’s a bit difficult to get a perspective on that photo.  The entertainment unit is 2m wide.  

Howdy folks, ordered and paid yesterday for the tweeters, crossover components and various bits and pieces from Jantzen Audio, I went for the more basic kit with fabric tweeters and the lower (but sti

Well, the wood screws provided appear to be a slightly narrower head diameter than the holes on the 15" woofer.  Enough to have a listen, but a couple have just screwed straight through flush on the w

Carpet places can sell "underfelt" offcuts, if you can find the non-synthetic type. Sometimes it has a backing which is not so good, but ask for wool felt, and you can get lucky.

Ok, let's make sure no last minute mistakes:

1. Glue rear baffle on ensuring wires are clear.  Acoustic foam installed in rear sections first.

2. Drill front baffles for driver screws

3. Run wires to mid driver box, binding posts etc, glue in mid box rear panel felt (left it off to allow me to thread the wire more easily)

4. Scrape out rebate for tweeter and paint edge black.

5. Glue front baffle on after putting acoustic foam in.

6. Glue tweeter box in (remember to remove wood used to wedge it in)

7. Drill grill frame plug holes (using jig - thanks Brian)

8. Mount drivers.

9. Par-tay.

My wife tells me she wants a surround sound setup, and then asked if we could use the paradigm's for rears.  I'm a lucky man.

Edited by Janus77
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

Ok, let's make sure no last minute mistakes:

5. Glue front baffle on after putting acoustic foam in.

6. Glue tweeter box in (remember to remove wood used to wedge it in)

I think 5 & 6 should be reversed?

Aris

4 hours ago, Janus77 said:

Hi Pete, the felt was supplied by Jantzen Audio, sorry I don’t know any other details on it.  It’s about  8-10mm thick. 

Speakerbits sells the same I think. 

Aris

2 minutes ago, aris said:

I think 5 & 6 should be reversed?

Aris

Hey Aris, nope I did it that way as it allows me to ensure it’s butted up firmly against the underside of the mid box brace and the front baffle.  Did you put yours in first?

Edited by Janus77
Just now, Janus77 said:

Hey Aris, nope I did it that way as it allows me to ensure it’s butter up firmly against the underside of the mid box brace and the front baffle.  Did you put yours in first?

I did, but I see how your way works maybe better!

Aris

Have drilled holes for drivers.  Will head down in an hour and connect binding posts, wire through mid box, connectors for mid and tweeter, and acoustic foam, then front baffle.  
tweeter box glue in tomorrow AM as well as grill sockets, then kids stuff all day, ready for a listen tomorrow afternoon.  

3 hours ago, Janus77 said:

tweeter box glue in tomorrow AM as well as grill sockets, then kids stuff all day, ready for a listen tomorrow afternoon.

Kids. The only time you'd ever want to hear them say "are we nearly there", and they're blissfully ignorant. I hope they realize in 20 years what love they received.

29 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

Excitement starting to build again.

Sorry, must have blinked. Didn't notice it dip!

Have a good sleep tonight, 😇.

Edited by BioBrian
"There are too many notes"
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BioBrian said:

Have a good sleep tonight, 😇.

Or he could work through the night. Lots more fun tomorrow. 

• Like 1

2B2A7904-E390-4FFF-BC2A-F3B3F2006E9C.jpeg

3 minutes ago, PKay said:

Or he could work through the night. Lots more fun tomorrow. 

Nothing left to do until the front baffle glue’s set.  Will sleep easy looking forward to stereo tomorrow.  

the poly takes a long time to dry.  There are very light smudges from clamping the rear, as there will likely be on the front.  They polish out, eventually..

1 more day folks.  Thanks to all for the support and advice.  

• Like 4

This is so cool. What an excellent job you've done.

Once it's all sorted out and you can have a bit of a rest I'd love to talk to you about which level kit you got and all that kind of stuff.

• Like 1

Screws for the tweeter aren’t all lining up    Might need to drill them again slightly to allow the screws to move a touch so they can all go in without ripping the anodising off the support ring.  

Have to take kids for a swim.  Have to wait until this evening to screw that tweeter in properly.  

Every DIY speaker video on YouTube seems to be You and Your Friend ;)

• Like 1

First play went well.  Need a bit of time to open up and sitting on the floor isn’t perfect placement 

my youngest had an elbow wedged into the left hand mid driver before I knew it. Great... anyway no harm done he just rested on it.  

8A019B5F-F1E8-4D03-B64F-ECF9844F36E1.jpeg

8D4FCAD1-5F61-4221-93EB-118E9034AFC8.jpeg

Edited by Janus77
  • Like 4

Back for a session now the kids are in bed.  

I noticed the first speaker took a few hours before the sound started “warming”up if that makes sense.  Similar situation now, more for the mids and bass.  The tweeter seems pretty awesome straight out of the box.  
they’re very melodic even straight after assembly.  
accoustic guitar etc is already excellent.  There’s a real edge to the guitar strings. You can feel the pick scraping over the wire.  
Muse - Knights of Cydonia a bit clinical up till around 3:45, then bam.  Hysteria, wow the bass on these things is great.  Drums have a real kick. 
Arctic Monkeys - Do I wanna know.  My son is learning this on drums at the moment.   Very nice. 
Weezer - Everyone wants to rule the world.  Nice differentiation between voice and the different instruments.  very melodic. 
Green Day - Brain Stew.  Dayum!  When the sound stops, it’s silence.  Then full bass immediately.  Drums sound great.  
Radiohead - High and Dry.  The speakers are opening up song by song.  Wow what a voice.  Never heard such a clear difference in the dynamics between lead and bass guitar.  
The Verve - Bittersweet symphony.  The sound pressure grows through the intro.   Sounds like it was recorded in a hall.  There’s a lot space around the sound.  
Queens of the Stone Age - come a little closer.  There’s a lot more going on listening to it with these speakers.  The sound cuts fast, the decay is really quick.

The Beatles - Something.  It’s something alright.  Crikey these are musical.  The recording quality is much more obvious now between different tracks.  Was flicking through a few songs and had to listen to this one all the way through.  The bass drum, the mids voices very melodic.  Sorry not sure how to describe.  
Rod Stewart and the royal phil - the first cut is the deepest.  That first bass drum hits.  
Billie Eilish - When the party’s over.  what a voice.  The harmony with the male voice too, so textured.  You can pick the layers.   The bass kicks in at 1 minute and it’s more that you feel it than hear it.  Her voice is fantastic.  Makes me want to hear Adele next.  
Adele - Someone like you.  It’s amazing how the recordings can be so different.  She’s a little further back, sounds like a bigger room than the last song.  
Laura Marling - Song for our daughter.  Her voice explodes into the room.  I really enjoy her music.  her voice and the acoustic guitar.  What a mix.  sounds like she’s in front of me.  
these speakers are phenomenal for acoustic recordings.  So much space around the music if that makes sense?

as requested: 

How much fun is it listening to speakers improving song after song :)

Edited by Janus77
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Excellent! Sounds like you got the phase right.

I listened to that track a few times here today, and Something, performed by Clapton, Paul, Ringo, etc in Concert for George - funny story there.

Sounds like a couple of nulls in that setup - try moving them (and yourself) around, if you haven't already, and catch the missing notes.

I can tell there's something nice about the mid and treble, even from here. 

Well done!

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  Yep they’re only set up at my aunts.  Need to get them home.  They’ll definitely benefit from being lifted off the floor a bit.  

have a listen to Peter Gabriel - Heroes.  Holy cow now there’s some sound stage!

Stoked and exhausted.  That’s the biggest project I’ve undertaken.  

Edited by Janus77
  • Like 2
23 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

Thanks.  Yep they’re only set up at my aunts.  Need to get them home.  They’ll definitely benefit from being lifted off the floor a bit.  

have a listen to Peter Gabriel - Heroes.  Holy cow now there’s some sound stage!

Stoked and exhausted.  That’s the biggest project I’ve undertaken.  

You certainly did finish it very quickly huge effort and they look great. You should be very pleased. 

next project could be a mid for your new surround sound. 

Edited by PKay
  • Thanks 1

First woodworking class was the 19th November, so 9.5 weeks start to finish.  Longer than i'd hoped, but given how much work it turned out to be it's a good result.  Also i see people emailing Troels after their builds things like "i started building your xxx speakers 18 months ago, and have just completed them", so i'm quite pleased with the timing.

I'll be honest, i can probably do with a few days without looking at the speakers.  I really had to drag myself through the back end of the project, thanks to my wife for being so patient, i'd disappear every night downstairs to plug away.  

I'll try and get the speakers up to my apartment this evening and set them up.  Will put up photos once they're in a final listening position.

3 minutes ago, camross said:

Looking Great. Making me want to start something new. Does the itch ever stop?

I have zero itch right now.  

• Like 2

I found that the drivers needed a while to open up, especially the mid and to a less extent the bass. 

Give it a few days and I reckon you will hear the staging go deeper and detail and nuance improve. 

Aris 

• Like 1
On 26/01/2021 at 9:22 PM, Janus77 said:

Back for a session now the kids are in bed.  

I noticed the first speaker took a few hours before the sound started “warming”up if that makes sense.  Similar situation now, more for the mids and bass.  The tweeter seems pretty awesome straight out of the box.  
they’re very melodic even straight after assembly.  
accoustic guitar etc is already excellent.  There’s a real edge to the guitar strings. You can feel the pick scraping over the wire.  
Muse - Knights of Cydonia a bit clinical up till around 3:45, then bam.  Hysteria, wow the bass on these things is great.  Drums have a real kick. 
Arctic Monkeys - Do I wanna know.  My son is learning this on drums at the moment.   Very nice. 
Weezer - Everyone wants to rule the world.  Nice differentiation between voice and the different instruments.  very melodic. 
Green Day - Brain Stew.  Dayum!  When the sound stops, it’s silence.  Then full bass immediately.  Drums sound great.  
Radiohead - High and Dry.  The speakers are opening up song by song.  Wow what a voice.  Never heard such a clear difference in the dynamics between lead and bass guitar.  
The Verve - Bittersweet symphony.  The sound pressure grows through the intro.   Sounds like it was recorded in a hall.  There’s a lot space around the sound.  
Queens of the Stone Age - come a little closer.  There’s a lot more going on listening to it with these speakers.  The sound cuts fast, the decay is really quick.

The Beatles - Something.  It’s something alright.  Crikey these are musical.  The recording quality is much more obvious now between different tracks.  Was flicking through a few songs and had to listen to this one all the way through.  The bass drum, the mids voices very melodic.  Sorry not sure how to describe.  
Rod Stewart and the royal phil - the first cut is the deepest.  That first bass drum hits.  
Billie Eilish - When the party’s over.  what a voice.  The harmony with the male voice too, so textured.  You can pick the layers.   The bass kicks in at 1 minute and it’s more that you feel it than hear it.  Her voice is fantastic.  Makes me want to hear Adele next.  
Adele - Someone like you.  It’s amazing how the recordings can be so different.  She’s a little further back, sounds like a bigger room than the last song.  
Laura Marling - Song for our daughter.  Her voice explodes into the room.  I really enjoy her music.  her voice and the acoustic guitar.  What a mix.  sounds like she’s in front of me.  
these speakers are phenomenal for acoustic recordings.  So much space around the music if that makes sense?

as requested: 

How much fun is it listening to speakers improving song after song :)

When I listen to "You and your friend" from my CD, I hear the left and right channels the opposite to how I hear from your speakers. For example listening to your sample, the opening guitar appears in the right-ish channel and then the next guitar is in the left.

On the recording, I hear the first guitar in the left and then the second guitar in the right.

34 minutes ago, davm said:

When I listen to "You and your friend" from my CD, I hear the left and right channels the opposite to how I hear from your speakers. For example listening to your sample, the opening guitar appears in the right-ish channel and then the next guitar is in the left.

On the recording, I hear the first guitar in the left and then the second guitar in the right.

thanks, I probably plugged the rca in the wrong way.  I’d only connected it to give them a demo so didn’t check.  Thanks for checking and letting me know :)

46 minutes ago, davm said:

Curious - I didn't find this. I find Hugh's recording to be almost mono, but there's a bias to the right with both guitars and voice.

I don't have the CD, but the YouTube version places the first twangy guitar (and later, the voice) smack in the R speaker, the more lyrical one more generally to the L.

What did you record it on, Hugh - a phone? Would that have a stereo mike? Can we expect a stereo image from a single point in the room?

Hi Brian,

I recorded it on an iPhone 11, the stereo was apparent when listening.  Must be an issue with the recording or the phone microphone. 

Google indicates the iPhone has stereo mics. 

cheers, Hugh

Edited by Janus77

Hi All,

Well I had a nice quiet night on the couch with my wife, the first day in a while I've not had a job to do on the speakers.  I was keen to get them upstairs to our place, however given it was after 9pm by the time the kids were down it was a bit late to ask the neighbor to help me move them.  Ended up flicking through trash TV doing very little.  Warrior Nun, can't believe they made a show called Warrior Nun, and more so that i managed to flick through 5 episodes in about an hour.. good way to space out and relax.

The 1st grill liquid nails had the mandatory 2 days dry time for best hold on the plugs, so the last jobs on the speakers are to drill and complete the 2nd grill frame, and then finally to install the castors.  I really like the idea of the castors, but my brain says to listen to them at home before installing to see if i can notice a difference.  I'm having some internal conflict on this one, my vision was wheeling them out of my aunt's place, i like the aesthetic of the wheels on such large cabinets.  On the flip side brain says "no just wait till you've heard them on stands, then try on the castors and see if you can pick any reduction in sound".  There's no way i will pick any difference, the speakers are such a huge step up in sonics (not to belittle the great Paradigm 9se, which i've loved listening to, they were a huge step up from the Wharfedale 2.1 setup i had previously), so the heart's saying "just put the wheels on, you know you want to, then you can wheel the upstairs as you envisioned, they'll be lifted up to the correct height, it's the end goal you had in mind".

Hmm, maybe the wheels can go on, and i'll just lift the cabinets onto the Paradigm stands which are narrow enough for the wheels to sit outside of.

I think I'm going to put the wheels on.

Our entertainment unit is very heavy, i need to move it about 15cm to the right to accommodate the new speakers in the lounge room, too heavy for my wife to help me with.  It'll probably be the weekend before i have them upstairs.

I feel like I haven't really listened to them yet, they're too close together as they sit now, and on the floor isn't how they were intended to be positioned.  I even have a brand new xbox sitting there waiting to be plugged in and have done nothing about it, not like me.  I reckon part of it is i know i have a few jobs left to do, and a big cleanup to get through.  Once i've rectified the condition of my aunt's apartment, and have finished the 2nd grill frame i'll probably feel like i can start to enjoy them a bit more..

Do other people get a burnt out feeling by the end of a build?  It might be because i pushed so hard to finish it.

Edited by Janus77